Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a bit of a nothing player though isn't he? No stand-out qualities at all, apart from being steady on the ball. Nobody can look at him and say "he's a good midfield enforcer" or "he's a great passer" or "he's got great vision" or "he's excellent at attacking" or "he dictates play" or "he's a big physical presence" or "he's really quick" or anything else really.

Yeah, but he's also hardly on a lot of money and he doesn't seem to mind having a back up role, so what's the issue?

If someone got hurt and he needed to play, you could trust him to get plugged in and do a job

He would be WAY down the list when it comes to players who need to be culled IMO

If this forum had any ambition, we’d go for top, top posters and not just hope to strike gold with smaller, lesser investments.
Never really replaced the Esk in the finance aspect either. How are you going to claim you have a shot at the forum title when you don't have a big numbers guy. How many seasons since he went? I know lots never warmed to him and still mock him for his output elsewhere, but to go 2 (?) seasons and not invest in one of those. Shambles.

To be fair Catcher, every single one of them went missing at Fulham.
Don't think you can suggest Gomes isn't settling in, he seems genuinely happy to have had at least this season with us.

I don't think I am making my point very clearly here. It is not meant as an attack on Gomes, or to suggest Gomes has been or would be a poor signing, or that he is alone in underperforming.

I am making a position that for other teams, particularly top teams there will be a reticence about spending relatively sizeable sums of money on a player who when he moved to Barcelona did not settle and has been up and down with Everton. It is for this reason I think it's unlikely other teams will swoop in if the price point is around £30 million pounds.

That would represent an enormous risk for them, but for us where he has bedded in for a season it seems a much more sensible option. We should sign Gomes, he will get better the longer he stays here. Wolves or Spurs probably should;t sign Gomes, as he would be starting at year 0 and 30 million is a lot to pay for a lad who you have no idea will settle into the team or area.

Never really replaced the Esk in the finance aspect either. How are you going to claim you have a shot at the forum title when you don't have a big numbers guy. How many seasons since he went? I know lots never warmed to him and still mock him for his output elsewhere, but to go 2 (?) seasons and not invest in one of those. Shambles.

Shambles is the word for it mate, you're completely spot on.

Look at RAWK, look at RedCafe, they both have numbers fella and they're competing right up there for Forum Silverware. If we want to be taken seriously as a force in the game again and compete on a Forum European level, the board has got to step in and find us a 2000 financial posts a season man.

Pennington
Garbutt
Williams
Jagielka
Baines
Galloway
Martina

McCarthy
Schneiderlin
Vlasic
Baningime
Dowell
Besic

Bolasie
Niasse
Tosun
Mirallas
Sandro
Tarashaj

Possibly Walcott

There's 20 players all on professional contracts who could go without really impacting the first team if we brought in 6 players.
Frightening that we have so many turd footballers contracted to us.

What numbers? Because as far as I'm concerned no stats currently exist that can quantify whether someone is a good defender or not. Things like tackles and clearances don't tell you enough about the rest of the team, positioning, etc.
Yes I agree I'm not a stats advocate at all, I also don't watch Spurs so couldn't comment on his tackles and clearances either. So in that case I had to have a glance at the numbers and there's not much between them on paper.

Correct and neymar as pointed out. Wouldn't want to get involved in that.

It takes legal threats etc. Jesus I remember la Liga refused to accept the cash from neymar! It took uefa threats to make them accept

My biggest pet hate in football is the ignorance surrounding all this.

We get linked with a player from spain, someone mentions they have an 80mil release clause, we go 'well no way we're singing him then'

The media as well, always reporting on them like that's how much we have to pay to get somebody with a release clause.

They're largely irrelevant in spain.

Didn't that turn out to be something stupid like his only league goal in about 40 appearances or something.?

I seem to recall a certain young Everton player having a stormer in that game. You wouldn't happen to now who that was would you?lol

Barkley was immense that day, breaking at speed, dribbling the length of the pitch, scored a great goal. Wonder how he’s getting on at Real Madrid ... oh wait he’s doing eff all at Chelsea after ripping us off. I remember now

McCarthy and Schneiderlin could still be squad players. Backups in cup competitions and during suspensions. As could Walcott, Bolasie and Tosun. How much wages are they on anyway?

With 6 players coming in, the priority in strengthening the positions should be a CB and CDM at first. Stop the leak in the back first. Then build up from there.

McCarthy and Schneiderlin could still be squad players. Backups in cup competitions and during suspensions. As could Walcott, Bolasie and Tosun. How much wages are they on anyway?

With 6 players coming in, the priority in strengthening the positions should be a CB and CDM at first. Stop the leak in the back first. Then build up from there.

In a perfect world you don't want "squad players." You want 20 outfield players who could all start and you wouldn't feel your heart sink if they did.

- McCarthy is a crock who hasn't played this season when fit so he's as good as gone.

- Schneiderlin has improved in recent weeks but any player on his salary should be a nailed on starter, which he isn't and never will be.

- Walcott and Tosun were brought in by that Ork so it's no wonder they're not figuring in long term plans now. Not high on the out list but certainly on it. They're not value for their wages even if they do contribute something. It's not enough.

- Bolasie isn't good enough to scrub the boots at Finch Farm, nevermind on a decent money. He's near the top of the out list.

Barkley was immense that day, breaking at speed, dribbling the length of the pitch, scored a great goal. Wonder how he’s getting on at Real Madrid ... oh wait he’s doing eff all at Chelsea after ripping us off. I remember now
He had that brilliance coached out of him mate. Too many people wanted him to be like Gana Geuye:coffee:

There will genuinely be at least 400k per week in wages over those players. It's too much to keep them on as squad players. Theyve all had plenty of opportunity to make a case for them to stay here but theyve failed. Invest that money elsewhere.

Bolasie are you serious. And I would sell all ( if we could I’d rather have the under 23’s as back up.

Only Schneiderlin is good enough of that 5 and That’s only when he’s interested, also with his age and wages there’s a good chance he will be sold anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.