Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No Pep doesn’t go in for all that crap
He signs ballers with the right attitude and gets them to play hard and fast
When has Pep played with a false 9 or an inverted winger or a transition based team
His philosophy is simple
When you have the ball you attack with pace
When you haven’t the ball you win win it back quickly and you attack with pace
He lets footballers play football
Well, okay, hold up. He's also had the ability to acquire the types of player that can play his style and the depth to ensure he doesn't have to change it too often.

Now he already had Fernandinho, DeBruyne, Sterling, Kompany, David Silva, Aguero, Delph, etc. and deserves credit for making them better, but they were only there because the club spent hundreds of millions prior to his arrival.

He immediately bought Stones for 50M, Sane for 50M, Gabriel Jesus for 32M, Gundongan for 27M, in an almost 200M net spend.
He then bought LaPorte for 65M, Mendy for 58M, Walker for 52M, Bernardo Silva for 50M, Ederson for 40M, Danilo for 30M in an over 200M net spend.

And it made a BIG difference.

So it's not THAT easy to play his style of play.

Tha

That is the conundrum that is Davies
What do you do with a player like Davies and where do you play him

It's tough. I see that he could be a very good 8, he can dribble a bit, he has some creativity, but I don't see the decision making or the positional discipline. He's only 20. He has time to get better. Maybe he can do that under Silva. Maybe he should go out on loan to someone that is a bit more defensive oriented to learn better positional discipline.

I was watching the Bundesliga in the gym this morning (its just on the TV there) Werder Bremen.... Klaasen still looks crap btw... but I was struck by how good their goalie was- Pavlenka was his name - Czech. age 27.... might be a great shout for Pickford cover if Jaoa isn't ready yet.

i long for the days of just having defenders, midfielders and strikers. ‘Koff with all this “no. 6”, “no. 8”, “split striker”, “false 9” garbage

Football is a simple game being over complicated by tits
'Quaterback' for midfielders who sit back and HOOOOOOF makes me die a little inside whenever it is uttered. Another thing to thank Gerrard for the bellend.

I was watching the Bundesliga in the gym this morning (its just on the TV there) Werder Bremen.... Klaasen still looks crap btw... but I was struck by how good their goalie was- Pavlenka was his name - Czech. age 27.... might be a great shout for Pickford cover if Jaoa isn't ready yet.
Yeah, Pavlenka is really good and he's been acknowledged as such by many a pundit this year. Seems like he always gets shelled. And Klaasen stinks even if he did start out the season with some really good games as I recall.

Well, okay, hold up. He's also had the ability to acquire the types of player that can play his style and the depth to ensure he doesn't have to change it too often.

Now he already had Fernandinho, DeBruyne, Sterling, Kompany, David Silva, Aguero, Delph, etc. and deserves credit for making them better, but they were only there because the club spent hundreds of millions prior to his arrival.

He immediately bought Stones for 50M, Sane for 50M, Gabriel Jesus for 32M, Gundongan for 27M, in an almost 200M net spend.
He then bought LaPorte for 65M, Mendy for 58M, Walker for 52M, Bernardo Silva for 50M, Ederson for 40M, Danilo for 30M in an over 200M net spend.

And it made a BIG difference.

So it's not THAT easy to play his style of play.
It is if you sign footballers
That’s what Pep does
He signs proper footballers
Granted he couldn’t do it at Burnley or Stoke or dare I say it at Everton but he signs footballers and lets them play football

No Pep doesn’t go in for all that crap
He signs ballers with the right attitude and gets them to play hard and fast
When has Pep played with a false 9 or an inverted winger or a transition based team
His philosophy is simple
When you have the ball you attack with pace
When you haven’t the ball you win win it back quickly and you attack with pace
He lets footballers play football
He’s the one who invented the false 9 with Messi as his 9. He also used inverted wing backs quite a lot in the champions league last year and Danilo’s refusal to play that kind of role (or lacks the positional intelligence for it) is why he doesn’t get much playing time. Pep and Klopp have revolutionized the modern game and even Leicester copies Klopps tactics when they won the league.

Pep’s use of tactics and positioning
Pep’s inverted wingbacks
The first time Messi played a false 9

He’s the one who invented the false 9 with Messi as his 9. He also used inverted wing backs quite a lot in the champions league last year and Danilo’s refusal to play that kind of role (or lacks the positional intelligence for it) is why he doesn’t get much playing time. Pep and Klopp have revolutionized the modern game and even Leicester copies Klopps tactics when they won the league.

Pep’s inverted wingbacks

Ahhhhh, ok. This would explain lack of blammo knowledge

Pep’s inverted wingbacks

Horse manure.

Managers going back 60 years had the same or similar tactics. Its just the FIFA generation have invented daft descriptions for it.

Horse manure.

Managers going back 60 years had the same or similar tactics. Its just the FIFA generation have invented daft descriptions for it.
The first false 9 in a World Cup was Juan Peregrino Anselmo in the Uruguay national team, although he could not play the match against Argentina in the 1930 World Cup due to injury. Matthias Sindelar was the false 9 of the Wunderteam, the Austria national team, in 1934. A false 9 was also utilized by Hungary during the beginning of the 1950s, with striker Nándor Hidegkuti acting in the role.”

Barely considered utilized especially successfully when it was only resorted to when there were injuries with 20 years in between uses. Pep used it for the first time in over 60 years against Real Madrid and got the 3 points in the process. Then went on to use it for years after and so did Tito after him.

The first false 9 in a World Cup was Juan Peregrino Anselmo in the Uruguay national team, although he could not play the match against Argentina in the 1930 World Cup due to injury. Matthias Sindelar was the false 9 of the Wunderteam, the Austria national team, in 1934. A false 9 was also utilized by Hungary during the beginning of the 1950s, with striker Nándor Hidegkuti acting in the role.”

Barely considered utilized especially successfully when it was only resorted to when there were injuries with 20 years in between uses. Pep used it for the first time in over 60 years against Real Madrid and got the 3 points in the process. Then went on to use it for years after and so did Tito after him.

Yeah, you are right. No one played decent football till Pep turned up.

Gylfi, all day. Without his and DCLs work, Bernard wouldnt have the space and freedom to do what he does. Bernard neither assists or scores goals either. Making great runs doesnt win games unless theres an end product. And we payed 45million for Gylfi, what you think he should be doesnt change that. Him not being what you want in that second strikerish position cant be layed at Gylfis feet. He’s doing what he’s been doing in the prem for years, only difference is less assists, which isnt really his fault - he usually creates good chances regularly, but how do you get more assists when DCL or Walcott thuds the ball to the other side of the park? I dont think ive ever seen a player judge more unfairly than Gylfi. Working hard, doing all he’s asked by the manager, playing more roles than any of our other players, scoring goals and making good chances.
I rate them both very highly btw. Add Digne and Richy, and thats our best players, probably. Selling any of them would be daft, unless we get someone better in first.
You mentioned a second striker
I wouldn’t want to play with a number 10 second striker and silva has always said his favoured system is 433.

One of the problems for me early in the season when Walcott and Richarlison were wide. We were basically playing 442 as siggurdsson was virtually holding hands witt the centre forward. As he’s to slow to get from the centre of the pitch to the box so this imo forced Richarlison to deep into his own half tracking the full back. And he was getting frustrated because of it. He should be further up the pitch.

I think with Bernard now playing one side who’s probably a more natural wide player, the balance is better. But I still think 433 going forward will be a better system.

I don’t know the stats but it wouldn’t surprise me if Bernard had created just as many chances as siggurdsson this season. Also siggurdsson has 5 assists and Some of them will be from set pieces. Bernard has at least a couple. So from open play there’s not a lot of difference and Bernard has played less minutes.

Pep’s inverted wingbacks
The false 9 was invented by the Hungary national teams in the early 50s.

Klopp didn't revolutionize anything. He learned much of his stuff from Wolfgang Frank and obviously, gegenpressing was hardly his invention. Heck, even Frank and others in Germany openly credit Sacchi for the true inspiration. Sacchi was also influenced - as were many others - by Rinus Michel and his Dutch teams. Some believe Victor Maslow invented the modern pressing game with Dynamo Kiev in the 60s.

Status
Not open for further replies.