Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i long for the days of just having defenders, midfielders and strikers. ‘Koff with all this “no. 6”, “no. 8”, “split striker”, “false 9” garbage

Football is a simple game being over complicated by tits
My sentiments exactly
It’s 11vs11 and normally the team with the best players with the right attitude win and it’s shag all to do with inverted wingers , possession in transition , false No 9 s and other Sky and American TV crap

The success of Ajax and the performances of their young players just may have taken the spotlight a little off others players from different clubs in Holland and I could see us trying to sign players from that league.
Brands knows it better than any other league and there really seems to be a lot of young players coming through there.

It’s great he’s close to getting 15 goals this season, playing off the striker how many pens? But we didn’t pay 45mil for him to score 10 goals from open play a season.

We paid that for him the dominate the final 3rd and create chance after chance. And I’m not sure he does create enough or control games for us.

Interesting question, who would you say in this run of 5 wins in 8. Has Bernard (1 goal) or Sigurdsson (4/5 goals) been the better, more influential player.
I agree but Sigurdsson has more or less been our striker this year in the absence of a more seasoned finisher up top. So for the current team he works and honestly he's been streets ahead of Bernard who contributes more to the build up but way less in terms of creating chances and scoring goals. If we want to look for a new player to replace Sigurdsson I'm fine with that but I also think it's silly to say he's had a bad year.

This lad isn't Klassen. Not saying he would slot right in, but he's a different level to Klassen. He's also 3/4 years younger than Siggy so we'd be getting him just as he's entering his prime. There is an element of risk to it though as you say.
He has a ridiculous number of attempted shots this season according to StatsBomb but he also takes some very low percentage shots outside the box. In Silva’s possession based style I can see the worry with him. As for a high octane counter attack/high press team he would be perfect.

Tbf thought we do only play possession against lesser opponents and play slower against them while they pack it in so maybe a long shot taker will a lot of ability could work

Daglsh , Giles , Cantona , Beardsley
Siggy is the nearest thing we have to a No 10 in our current squad
You asked for no 10 s
Giles was as good if not better than those mentioned
Him and Bremner were the best midfield 2 in England in the 70s
i didn’t ask for a list of number 10’s I said siggurdsson wasn’t what I would call a number 10. And that list proves my point.
Coutinho, de bruyne, David Silva. Play making number 10’s

It’s great he’s close to getting 15 goals this season, playing off the striker how many pens? But we didn’t pay 45mil for him to score 10 goals from open play a season.

We paid that for him the dominate the final 3rd and create chance after chance. And I’m not sure he does create enough or control games for us.

Interesting question, who would you say in this run of 5 wins in 8. Has Bernard (1 goal) or Sigurdsson (4/5 goals) been the better, more influential player.
2 penalties.

And there it is - 'control games'. Why is everyone SO obsessed with having a playmaking that hangs on to the ball?

Is that why everyone love Gomes? He can dribble, he can hold the ball? He creates very little - less than Gana, actually - and contributes almost nothing most games defensively, yet he's someone we want to spend 30M on.

I would understand if this guy was lazy or something, but man, he works his tail off. So he doesn't hold on to the ball. Who cares?

Anyways, back to the transfer thread...

...we aren't selling Sigurdsson so this is a silly debate. The question is whether or not Vlasic can be his backup or whether or not he even WANTS to be. Beyond that, is Davies an option? I gotta think Davies could use a loan to get some regular playing time. I know he's a decent player that could help us a bit, but I just cannot for the love of me figure out what position he plays.

Blame pep and his tactical revolution
No Pep doesn’t go in for all that crap
He signs ballers with the right attitude and gets them to play hard and fast
When has Pep played with a false 9 or an inverted winger or a transition based team
His philosophy is simple
When you have the ball you attack with pace
When you haven’t the ball you win win it back quickly and you attack with pace
He lets footballers play football

Gylfi, all day. Without his and DCLs work, Bernard wouldnt have the space and freedom to do what he does. Bernard neither assists or scores goals either. Making great runs doesnt win games unless theres an end product. And we payed 45million for Gylfi, what you think he should be doesnt change that. Him not being what you want in that second strikerish position cant be layed at Gylfis feet. He’s doing what he’s been doing in the prem for years, only difference is less assists, which isnt really his fault - he usually creates good chances regularly, but how do you get more assists when DCL or Walcott thuds the ball to the other side of the park? I dont think ive ever seen a player judge more unfairly than Gylfi. Working hard, doing all he’s asked by the manager, playing more roles than any of our other players, scoring goals and making good chances.
I rate them both very highly btw. Add Digne and Richy, and thats our best players, probably. Selling any of them would be daft, unless we get someone better in first.

i didn’t ask for a list of number 10’s I said siggurdsson wasn’t what I would call a number 10. And that list proves my point.
Coutinho, de bruyne, David Silva. Play making number 10’s
De Bruyne is not and never has been a no 10
As much as I hate labelling players with numbers De Bruyne is a classic no 8!and Pep plays him as such with Fernandinho as a 6 and David Silva as a 10

Tha
2 penalties.

And there it is - 'control games'. Why is everyone SO obsessed with having a playmaking that hangs on to the ball?

Is that why everyone love Gomes? He can dribble, he can hold the ball? He creates very little - less than Gana, actually - and contributes almost nothing most games defensively, yet he's someone we want to spend 30M on.

I would understand if this guy was lazy or something, but man, he works his tail off. So he doesn't hold on to the ball. Who cares?

Anyways, back to the transfer thread...

...we aren't selling Sigurdsson so this is a silly debate. The question is whether or not Vlasic can be his backup or whether or not he even WANTS to be. Beyond that, is Davies an option? I gotta think Davies could use a loan to get some regular playing time. I know he's a decent player that could help us a bit, but I just cannot for the love of me figure out what position he plays.
That is the conundrum that is Davies
What do you do with a player like Davies and where do you play him

Not too much between them in terms of numbers this season.
What numbers? Because as far as I'm concerned no stats currently exist that can quantify whether someone is a good defender or not. Things like tackles and clearances don't tell you enough about the rest of the team, positioning, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.