2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some people need to get realistic, 20 goal strikers in todays market are going to be 100m+, not one striker in the league with 3/4 games left has scored 20 goals, expecting DCL to suddenly do that is not really realistic.

He offers so much more, teams like us who don't have world class strikers very often need to share the burden and we are set up to do so.

No disrespect to anyone who can't afford or get to the games, but on TV you can't appreciate how hard Dom works. If he can work on his finishing add a bit more composure final ball etc he will be a dam good front man. Keep it up lad.

There is no need to make Lukaku the standard bearer of what our primary striker should be. Lukaku had goals in him, no doubt, but he has massive holes in his game. He can slot. He's a big unit. He's fast.

He's also made of flubber and his depth perception on long balls is so weirdly bad. A big unit like him should dominate...he more often than not fails in those 1 v 1 scenarios.

Loved Rom when he was in his best form.

So often his strengths were never realized because his best is a very narrow window.

Dom is growing each game and I like what I see a lot. If our other forwards are producing 30 goals between them, there is no need for a 20+ goal scorer from his position. He is a handful to defend.

We aren't getting a 20 goal striker anytime soon, we can't afford one. koeman was right in that he wanted to share the goals around but Walsh and He made a pigs ear of recruitment.

All of which is true except when we played the teams above us when he invariably produced the anonymous performances we witnessed on Sunday. For a big lad his heading was poor also and he probably wouldn’t have won that flick on which produced Richarlison’s goal.
Any striker we may purchase has to match Calvert-Lewin in work rate, ability to hold the ball up and bring his teammates into play, create the space for his fellow forwards to score, win vital headers in the box and to work tirelessly to harry the opposition and aid the defence.
Since this putative player will also be expected to presumably bag a score of goals as well, I would suggest any player who matches the above requirements is ;- a). On a far higher wage than we are willing to pay.
b). In high demand and unlikely to arrive here.

Hence why we must make a decision to build a team with a hard working goal shy striker or a goal scorer ? I prefer the latter

We aren't getting a 20 goal striker anytime soon, we can't afford one. koeman was right in that he wanted to share the goals around but Walsh and He made a pigs ear of recruitment.

We have two players who have scored over a dozen each this season, and we are certainly in the top half of the league in goals scored. Who told you we can't afford a striker,or anyone? We have money available, but not for a wasteful Koemanesq scenario

That's the bit we are getting now. Would be nice to see a bit more Mountfield/Lescott from the cb's, but Digne chips in. Siggy and Richy have good stats. DCL scores now & then.. Of course I would like to see DCL bag a few more, but overall I am really impressed with his progress this year. Really puts himself about. Gives us a good chance to win 2nd ball. Works really hard. He's becoming a very important cog in the wheel, which he wasn't at the the start of the season. I'm still all for bringing in another striker next year and getting shut of Oumar and Cenk, who just aren't good enough, but Dom is of an age where he can get even better.

DCL looks like a very good player playing in a team with Richarlison...what's your point?

That arsenal had a goal scoring striker . You’re saying not all successful teams require goal scoring strikers and mentioned bergkamp , but he was playing with Ian Wright who is second only to Henry as their all time goal scorer

We have two players who have scored over a dozen each this season, and we are certainly in the top half of the league in goals scored. Who told you we can't afford a striker,or anyone? We have money available, but not for a wasteful Koemanesq scenario

Exactly, we share the goals about. DCL allows more space for Gylfi and Richarlison, he holds it up, makes runs to open space and he wins headers. I hope he can add another 10 goals a season but it's not everything. generally only CL teams have a 20 goal striker.

Nobody told me we couldn't afford a striker but if you think we are spending that amount of money on one position I think you're kidding yourself.

It's too bloody easy this....

In the season we won the league in 87 sharp scored 7 goals from 27 games.... Trevor Steven was top scorer with 14.......

I have heard people say that sharp was the best striker around with his back to goal, DCL isn’t although still improving and sharp wasn’t playing lone striker and had two top notch wingers scoring as well as a strike partner. We have two players on 13 and 14 goals and are miles away from even the top 6. We need a goal scoring striker mate that’s it

Lukaku bullying centre halves..... now I know you are lying. Absolute pudding... never seen such a weak big fella.

He didn’t do it every week but to say he’s never bullied cb is wrong . He has turned many Fb and slotted and used his powerful running to score goals

Status
Not open for further replies.