2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been well worth his 1.5 mill, he’s persevered and grown when many with bigger reputations and fees have crashed and burned.

We will add more firepower that competition will drive him on again.

It’s really telling that the many managers who have been through here have all seen something in him

Has a future and a role here.

He 100% needs to be more clinical and composed in front of goal, thats somthing he has to improve.

However, if him being the striker with his pace, movement and hold up play enables others to get into positions to score and the goals are spread thats just as vital. Is it better to have 3-4 players getting 10-12 goals or 1 striker getting 20 with the other 2-3 players getting 4.

Lukaku was a world class goalscorer but he never created anything for himself, his hold up play was awful, meaning the midfielders couldnt make runs as you couldnt trust him to keep possession. He didnt run the channels and basically didnt do anything physically to keep defenders occupied. Dom is the total opposite

Strikers who possess all of the above are rare and if they do exist, are playing for the top clubs.

Its an unreal expectation for us to be able to sign someone like this so we either find another proper goalscorer who may not contribute elsewhere or we stick with Dom, help him improve, work on his finishing and keep spreading the goals.

Switch them 2 strikers yesterday and I dont think we would have had 4 goals.

Been well worth his 1.5 mill, he’s persevered and grown when many with bigger reputations and fees have crashed and burned.

We will add more firepower that competition will drive him on again.

It’s really telling that the many managers who have been through here have all seen something in him

Has a future and a role here.
He’s improving all the time but he’s got a ways to go yet. People getting carried away here saying he’s set to lead the line again next year. Imagine having an actual goal scorer freeing up Richarlison, Siggy and Bernard even more.

He’s improving all the time but he’s got a ways to go yet. People getting carried away here saying he’s set to lead the line again next year. Imagine having an actual goal scorer freeing up Richarlison, Siggy and Bernard even more.

I thought we needed 2 strikers myself, but the way he has improved im ok with him being back up.

It would be a shame cos we have all seen the way hes kicked on with more game time, but hes not quite there yet to start EVERY week.

We need another option.

He 100% needs to be more clinical and composed in front of goal, thats somthing he has to improve.

However, if him being the striker with his pace, movement and hold up play enables others to get into positions to score and the goals are spread thats just as vital. Is it better to have 3-4 players getting 10-12 goals or 1 striker getting 20 with the other 2-3 players getting 4.

Lukaku was a world class goalscorer but he never created anything for himself, his hold up play was awful, meaning the midfielders couldnt make runs as you couldnt trust him to keep possession. He didnt run the channels and basically didnt do anything physically to keep defenders occupied. Dom is the total opposite

Strikers who possess all of the above are rare and if they do exist, are playing for the top clubs.

Its an unreal expectation for us to be able to sign someone like this so we either find another proper goalscorer who may not contribute elsewhere or we stick with Dom, help him improve, work on his finishing and keep spreading the goals.

Many times I saw Lukaku create for himself. A couple of step overs coming in from the right, or shrugging off defenders with raw strength, then blam.

Did you really say Lukaku never created anything for himself?

Did you really say Lukaku never created anything for himself?

Was thinking the same thing, I can remember him turning CB’s, bullying people off the ball and he was so dangerous when he was 20-30 yards out facing goal and running at the defence. His hold up play was not good enough but he did create his own chances and was pretty clinical in front of goal.

We do need another striker, I don't think anyone is disputing that. Some of us can actually see the improvement and what DCL actually brings to the team and in certain games is a brilliant option,

if he can share the load with a senior partner, a more clinical goalscorer(which will blow our budget) then he absolutely can have a very good career with us, he's been excellent recently and totally disproved this 'league 1 level' nonsense, some spout.

Was thinking the same thing, I can remember him turning CB’s, bullying people off the ball and he was so dangerous when he was 20-30 yards out facing goal and running at the defence. His hold up play was not good enough but he did create his own chances and was pretty clinical in front of goal.
All of which is true except when we played the teams above us when he invariably produced the anonymous performances we witnessed on Sunday. For a big lad his heading was poor also and he probably wouldn’t have won that flick on which produced Richarlison’s goal.
Any striker we may purchase has to match Calvert-Lewin in work rate, ability to hold the ball up and bring his teammates into play, create the space for his fellow forwards to score, win vital headers in the box and to work tirelessly to harry the opposition and aid the defence.
Since this putative player will also be expected to presumably bag a score of goals as well, I would suggest any player who matches the above requirements is ;- a). On a far higher wage than we are willing to pay.
b). In high demand and unlikely to arrive here.

No, I am fully aware that he influenced the game , you telling me Lukaku didn’t influence games when scoring 20 goals a season?

Not as much as it sounds he did No...... never a more telling stat about lukaku than the fact that when he scored his most goals for us the would have had zero impact on our league position....7th.

Lost us possession of the ball so often it was a joke.

Sharp scored goals out of nothing and scored in some massive games. His finishing was good even tho he didn’t score as much as lineker etc he still contributed goals. Also a lone striker wasn’t the thing back in those days .

It's too bloody easy this....

In the season we won the league in 87 sharp scored 7 goals from 27 games.... Trevor Steven was top scorer with 14.......

Lukaku bullying centre halves..... now I know you are lying. Absolute pudding... never seen such a weak big fella.

Status
Not open for further replies.