• B

• C

• D

• E

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By any reasonable standard Silva has been a success this season. Sure, there have been a handful of shocking and worrying performances. But by and large the season has been a progressive one:

• successful integration of a number of new players into the team
  • age of starting XI down
  • an identity based on high energy football and wing play established
  • laying significant gloves on top teams in the division again

For an inuagural season that is a 7/10 rating. No question.

I tell you one thing: I bet Brands has no complaints whatsoever.

By any reasonable standard Silva has been a success this season. Sure, there have been a handful of shocking and worrying performances. But by and large the season has been a progressive one:

Wouldn't the identity on how we play be based on our general style over the season? Because we've only played that way you speak of a handful of times. And the handful of worrying performances you say is not exactly a handful but they've been more plentiful than the good high energy footall.

I'm glad Moshiri held his nerve after declaring publically he would do so.

Playing an effective, possession-based approach was never going to be a quick transition given the player's he inherited. Some of those players have been playing 3 different types of football over the last 12 months.

We should be excited for the summer and next season. 2 or 3 quality additions and i've no doubt we'll be applying pressure on the top 6. We were doing so before our mid-season slump. More consistency across the season and we'd be alot closer to Utd than the current disparity.

Watched Daucoure last night- whilst probably unobtainable if PSG and the like come in for me, he'd be a tremendous addition and just what this Silva side needs.

Last edited:
Yes but i when the rs knocked us out of the cup last season, some people on here were posting things like encouraging signs etc.Im not saying that we need to be all acting like the geordies, but i just don't believe in just merely shrugging my shoulders, or being apathetic, when a club like this has gone so long without success.I suppose it's not really about being happy enough with 7th, it's more about what happened in the 90's knocking the ambition out of some of the fans.

Its not so much the 90s for me, I mean they were dark, dark days, but all through Moyes time I thought we could kick on, but we never did, we simply didnt have the money to break that glass ceiling. Then Moshiri came in and I honestly thought he was the game changer, we spent vast sums, but we spent it on the wrong players and it could be argued we went backwards.

So to be honest it made me take a look at things and realise that the glass ceiling we faced in Moyes time is now reinforced steel and every season the top 6 put another layer on it.

There are people who think we have a God given right to finish 7th, simply cos we spend a bit of money and won a few trinkets almost 30 years ago. You mostly get what you deserve in this league, over a 38 game season you finish where you belong, IMO. We havent been good enough, so we we will finish in a place we all deem not great.

I dont consider myself apathetic, I consider myself pragmatic, to get back where we belong will take time, lots of time and lots of luck, there is no magic wand. I dont feel the need to rant and rave after every defeat, I dont feel the need to call Moshiri names, demand Silva is sacked or call Brands a jug eared clown just cos we got the run around by 1 of the worst teams in this league.

Anyway, thats where im at.

Wouldn't the identity on how we play be based on our general style over the season? Because we've only played that way you speak of a handful of times. And the handful of worrying performances you say is not exactly a handful but they've been more plentiful than the good high energy footall.
That's very naive, to think a new manager can come in and a team flawlessly convert to the new regime on a consistent basis. Especially when the conversion is one from a defensive set up to a more expansive one.

The other way round yields quicker results, in the main. That's why Allardyce etc have had decent careers.

They have blamed player after player this season.

Pickford
Coleman
Gylfi
Tosun
Walcott

All players slated this season yet Marco gets a free hit.

The reason for that Terence is that they know fans wanting 1 player out is different to wanting the manager out.

Its clear propaganda and has been all season.

What a strange post. The Echo is just stating what the majority have been saying on this forum at various times this season. All them players you have mentioned that the Echo have 'blamed' and 'slated' have also been blamed and slated on here. Weird eh? Anyone would think that said players have been really poor at times this season. But we know the real story eh?

But thats what he's trying to achieve. It's like when someone tunes in a radio and you get a lot of static before you find the station you want - you hear it and lose it again a few times before finally locking it as a set station. He knows what he wants and he wont stop until everyone is locked into the style of play and doing it consistently...and getting rid of the old guard and getting his preferred new players in will help that no end.

I'm glad Moshiri held his nerve after declaring publically he would do so.

Playing an effective, possession-based approach was never going to be a quick transition given the player's he inherited. Some of those players have been playing 3 different types of football over the last 12 months.

We should be excited for the summer and next season. 2 or 3 quality additions and i've no doubt we'll be applying pressure on the top 6. We were doing so before our mid-season slump. More consistency across the season and we'd be alot closer to Utd than the current disparity.

Watched Daucoure last night- whilst probably unobtainable if PSG and the like come in for me, he'd be a tremendous addition and just what this Silva side needs.
Yes, defo. Silva will have used the season to sift through who he could add out of the inherited squad to the players he and Brands brought in last summer. This summer will see more of the preferred players for the system he wants to play.

It stands to reason that our play will get more consistent with those developments.

Time is the issue. He needed this season and the first half of next season to show consistency.

Yes, defo. Silva will have used the season to sift through who he could add out of the inherited squad to the players he and Brands brought in last summer. This summer will see more of the preferred players for the system he wants to play.

It stands to reason that our play will get more consistent with those developments.

Time is the issue. He needed this season and the first half of next season to show consistency.

The poor pre-season last summer was educational for Silva in the exact same way. I think we only got Zouma in on loan at the last second (after the last second, really) because he saw in the pre-season games that Jagielka wasn't fit for purpose and had the turning circle of a small boat.

I see Klopp and others with better body language. Silva looks constrained, negative at times. I think losing the suit is a good move, but generally I don't see a robust, positive touchline influence there.

I see Klopp and others with better body language. Silva looks constrained, negative at times. I think losing the suit is a good move, but generally I don't see a robust, positive touchline influence there.

I disagree. The overacted histrionics of Klopp,and the new Southampton boss might play to the crowd ,but the quieter measured enthusiasm with occasional bursts of energy, like Guardiola and Silva, is more effective in the long run. I think its pretty certain that the players are behind Silva,and are aware that a project is beginning to take shape,the problem is that there is no such thing anywhere as a fanbase that is patient.

But thats what he's trying to achieve. It's like when someone tunes in a radio and you get a lot of static before you find the station you want - you hear it and lose it again a few times before finally locking it as a set station. He knows what he wants and he wont stop until everyone is locked into the style of play and doing it consistently...and getting rid of the old guard and getting his preferred new players in will help that no end.

I'm voting yes. Just for that analogy alone. Fare play.

Status
Not open for further replies.