Old Everton Pictures

he Locomotive that took the Everton Squad to the 1933 Cup Final -
D4JPiBPW0AE54F5.jpg

Don Donavon, Eire international full back, played against the great John Charles in one game for Everton in the old second division at centre half, John Charles was centre forward for Leeds, Everton won 2-1 and Donavon was man of the match, I think his son or grandson played as a striker for Aston Villa. Don also a goal for Everton in the 5-2 trouncing of Man.Unt. at Old Trafford in the fifties.

Don Donavon, Eire international full back, played against the great John Charles in one game for Everton in the old second division at centre half, John Charles was centre forward for Leeds, Everton won 2-1 and Donavon was man of the match, I think his son or grandson played as a striker for Aston Villa. Don also a goal for Everton in the 5-2 trouncing of Man.Unt. at Old Trafford in the fifties.

Tommy Ellington ( Eggo, to Everton fans), Tommy was a fast speedy outside left, played, with Peter Farrell for both Ireland and than Eire, scored five in second division game versus Doncaster Rovers in a 7-2 victory.

Tommy played in an era when players were much closer to the fans, coming back from a game in London me and my mate got talking to him, and my mate said to Tommy “ You are playing for Eire next week Tommy, any chance of getting us a program of the game” Tommy said “ No problem “ We missed the next away game, but the following one we saw him again, as soon we came by him he jumped up and said to my mate “ I was up and down the train looking for you, then got a programme out of his pocket and gave it to my mate, we had a good chat to him, doubt if that would happen these days, but a lot of the players mixed easily with the fans then. Tommy and Peter Farrell signed for Tranmere Rovers later on and Peter became manager of them. Eggo, when he retire went back home to Dublin and loved there working as a butcher before his retirement, A lovely man.

Tommy Ellington ( Eggo, to Everton fans), Tommy was a fast speedy outside left, played, with Peter Farrell for both Ireland and than Eire, scored five in second division game versus Doncaster Rovers in a 7-2 victory.

Tommy played in an era when players were much closer to the fans, coming back from a game in London me and my mate got talking to him, and my mate said to Tommy “ You are playing for Eire next week Tommy, any chance of getting us a program of the game” Tommy said “ No problem “ We missed the next away game, but the following one we saw him again, as soon we came by him he jumped up and said to my mate “ I was up and down the train looking for you, then got a programme out of his pocket and gave it to my mate, we had a good chat to him, doubt if that would happen these days, but a lot of the players mixed easily with the fans then. Tommy and Peter Farrell signed for Tranmere Rovers later on and Peter became manager of them. Eggo, when he retire went back home to Dublin and loved there working as a butcher before his retirement, A lovely man.
That should have started Tommy Eglinton , not Ellington , sorry.

Peter and Eggo signed for Everton together from Shamrock Rovers for £10k in 1946. Peter won three FAI Cups while at Milltown in 1940, 1944 and 1945 and went on to captain Everton and Ireland.

As CM said he joined Tranmere as player manager in 1957 then Sligo Rovers briefly in 1961.

He went on to Holyhead Town 1961-2, Drogheda 1963-4 TEK Utd (a junior team from Dun Laoghaire near where Peter grew up in Dalkey) and finished with St Patrick's Athletic in 67-8.

He went into insurance and lived about 15 minutes walk from where I grew up. He used to go to my Dad's newsagents shop when I was a nipper. When I was old enough to go to Rovers matches on my own I used often meet him on the 46A bus and loved his stories from Goodison days.

He was a lovely man and a fanatical Blue and Rover until the end.

Sadly he developed dementia in his final years and died in March 1999.

Ar Dheis Dé go raibh a anam dilis.

Peter and Eggo signed for Everton together from Shamrock Rovers for £10k in 1946. Peter won three FAI Cups while at Milltown in 1940, 1944 and 1945 and went on to captain Everton and Ireland.

As CM said he joined Tranmere as player manager in 1957 then Sligo Rovers briefly in 1961.

He went on to Holyhead Town 1961-2, Drogheda 1963-4 TEK Utd (a junior team from Dun Laoghaire near where Peter grew up in Dalkey) and finished with St Patrick's Athletic in 67-8.

He went into insurance and lived about 15 minutes walk from where I grew up. He used to go to my Dad's newsagents shop when I was a nipper. When I was old enough to go to Rovers matches on my own I used often meet him on the 46A bus and loved his stories from Goodison days.

....lovely story, thanks for sharing.

Very sad that Peter suffered with dementia, I didn’t know that. Peter was another footballer from that era, like Johnny Carey, Danny Blanchflower excellent footballers, leaders but most of all gentlemen, in the true sense of the word, I think the world was a better place then and definitely better for having people like them in it.