2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calvert Lewin’s form is in and out as is to be expected of a young striker but his finishing has been consistently average. Rumours are we’re gonna buy Mitrovic (See his HT handshake with Silva !) he is a handful, moans all game and has at least 3/4 attempts at goal. But his finishing can be sublime or poor - so don’t know if he is the answer either tbh

Calvert Lewin’s form is in and out as is to be expected of a young striker but his finishing has been consistently average. Rumours are we’re gonna buy Mitrovic (See his HT handshake with Silva !) he is a handful, moans all game and has at least 3/4 attempts at goal. But his finishing can be sublime or poor - so don’t know if he is the answer either tbh
How many chances did Mitrovic create for himself and team mates against a defense that has not conceded in 3 games and how many chances did DCL create against a team that have lost the last 9 games?

I will leave it there

I have heard that some of our lion-hearts use the sit down lavatories ahead of the urinals. I think it’s a bit odd to sit down for a wee wee..perhaps they don’t want people to see their frilly girlie panties. Mind you, with the bleeding great glory holes that Capt Jags and Bainesy reportedly cut into the FF cubicles, I imagine there’s not a huge amount of privacy anyway.
I think your comments about our players say much more about you and the kind of man you are than they could ever say about the players. Its like you are still in the junior school play ground. Im not arsed vaulting you but the Michael Keane thread is a case in point. I mean " frilly girlie panties". Your comments are, well, weird.

....the detractors are out in force again after a few weeks sitting on their hands but nothing has changed.

We need a formidable striker but DCL will be a very useful member of the squad. Goalscorers have a picture of the goal and where the goalkeeper is in their mind, it’s why the best finish inside the post. When put in down the channels they don’t need to look up, they finish across the keeper. DCL doesn’t, he’s not prolific and I doubt he’ll ever be. He can become a very effective aerial goalscorer, though. There’s no doubt he’s starting to realise that. He’s physically very capable regarding strength and pace and CBs in this league will not enjoy playing against him.

That’s how it is. In my opinion he’s the most effective striker we have but we need better. He might play well next week, he might play poorly. He cost £1m and that will prove to be fantastic value if he stays with us.

He's improved a lot recently and shown his value to the squad. But it's still clear we need a lot better than him going in to next season. He isn't a good enough footballer or finisher to be consistently starting. He does have qualities that will help next season though and needs to just keep working on his weaknesses.

I wonder if our wonderful director of football might be arsed signing a striker one day soon.

Watching Dom of late I'm now wondering if we're missing a trick with this player. I too as a blue was hoping he'd flourish in to a clinical premiership striker but I'm past giving him the benefit of the doubt due to his age now, the lad is now in his 23rd year and should be showing a lot more by now if he's to hold his position as our front man. I seriously don't think a striker grows in to a top class finisher, I think they are born and gifted with it. Dom gives me no inkling whatsoever he has what it takes to ever be the man you look to for that "goal out of nothing" ability other proven strikers have.

However, I love the way he get's stuck in with challenges away fro the strikers zone, admire how he can bring a ball under control and distribute it and also think his physical attributes are a bonus for most teams. I'd give him a try in more of a midfield roll now, take the pressure of bloke to net, he's just not going to do it on a regular basis. However I'd be happy to see him in Sigs roll if we did ever sign a striker of true quality. As a striker? No chance? As a possible great for Everton who'll chip in with a few goals? Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.