Everton Youth Teams Thread

...delighted, I know a few of us have been impressed with this lad. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s part of Silva’s pre-season.
Think he is a shoe in Eggs. The fact that he is training with the first team at the minute Inthink shows that they like him. Would think pre season, new contract and championship loan for the lad will be how we see it go for next season.

Think he is a shoe in Eggs. The fact that he is training with the first team at the minute Inthink shows that they like him. Would think pre season, new contract and championship loan for the lad will be how we see it go for next season.

....I was with you until you mentioned the ‘loan’ word. Gibson is a CB who can play LB, with Jagielka and Baines out of contract, i’d much prefer if Gibson was cover than loan.

I posted on another thread about loanees and could only come up with Osman, Barkley and Coleman who have played 50 league games for Everton after a loan spell. The most talented come straight in (Davies and DCL of late) because the Manager wants to use them.

I know the argument about these youngsters gaining experience, but the reality is that the vast majority of loanees have careers elsewhere.

....I was with you until you mentioned the ‘loan’ word. Gibson is a CB who can play LB, with Jagielka and Baines out of contract, i’d much prefer if Gibson was cover than loan.

I posted on another thread about loanees and could only come up with Osman, Barkley and Coleman who have played 50 league games for Everton after a loan spell. The most talented come straight in (Davies and DCL of late) because the Manager wants to use them.

I know the argument about these youngsters gaining experience, but the reality is that the vast majority of loanees have careers elsewhere.
I would have thought that at any other time in the past 20 years you would be right and that we would keep him and play him.
Everton have usually done well with blooding young defenders early.... just think his game time next year will be limited and it would be better for him to play 40 games in the championship than wasting his time with U23s football. If we get into the europa then keep him and play him if not a loan is the best we can do for the lad in my opinion.

I would have thought that at any other time in the past 20 years you would be right and that we would keep him and play him.
Everton have usually done well with blooding young defenders early.... just think his game time next year will be limited and it would be better for him to play 40 games in the championship than wasting his time with U23s football. If we get into the europa then keep him and play him if not a loan is the best we can do for the lad in my opinion.

....I understand the logic, but being with the Everton 1st team manager, players and coaches will be invaluable. They can use him when necessary and look after the players development and welfare. League football is ultra competitive, let’s not forget Gibson is yet to play open-age footy, so the rigours of the Championship could be detrimental.

40 games next season for a Championship side will help his development rather than 5 games next season for us.

Its a well-tread path that every young player needs to take, you play under age footy, then you go out in the big wide world and play proper footy, if your good enough you break through the next season. Most of our yoots go out on loan and then flop, cos the difference between Under age footy and even footy at League One is MASSIVE.

The reason DCL has broken through is due to our Strikers being rubbish.

We had everybody suggesting Dowell and Beni should have stayed with us, instead both have gone on loan and arent even getting games.

40 games next season for a Championship side will help his development rather than 5 games next season for us.

Its a well-tread path that every young player needs to take, you play under age footy, then you go out in the big wide world and play proper footy, if your good enough you break through the next season. Most of our yoots go out on loan and then flop, cos the difference between Under age footy and even footy at League One is MASSIVE.

We had everybody suggesting Dowell and Beni should have stayed with us, instead both have gone on loan and arent even getting games.

.....and your post is a little contradictory. You say it’s the way to go, then say Dowell and Beni have failed. DCL has benefited from staying.

I entirely understand the logic, but history tells us that very few who go on loan make it at Everton, whereas those who come straight in have a better chance. 5 games as an 18 year old might be more beneficial for Gibson than the intensity of Championship football under a manager who only cares about getting results.

A manager will prefer to keep a player he feels he can use. It’s a good sign if he stays.

Surely that's an example of why loans aren't a magic cure all solution though? It's been suggested Beni is injured.

There's little doubt games do players good in general, but being around the first team squad makes a big difference. I do wonder if (for example) Brandon Galloway regrets going out on loans that didn't work out when he was seemingly part of the first team squad.

.....and your post is a little contradictory. You say it’s the way to go, then say Dowell and Beni have failed. DCL has benefited from staying.

I entirely understand the logic, but history tells us that very few who go on loan make it at Everton, whereas those who come straight in have a better chance. 5 games as an 18 year old might be more beneficial for Gibson than the intensity of Championship football under a manager who only cares about getting results.

A manager will prefer to keep a player he feels he can use. It’s a good sign if he stays.
Immediately gives the player belief that they may be Premiership quality, send them out on loan and if they struggle in League 1 or Championship inneviatbly they will lose a portion of confidence and ,maybe start to question if they are the real deal. A huge amount of the game is in the head!

Surely that's an example of why loans aren't a magic cure all solution though? It's been suggested Beni is injured.

There's little doubt games do players good in general, but being around the first team squad makes a big difference. I do wonder if (for example) Brandon Galloway regrets going out on loans that didn't work out when he was seemingly part of the first team squad.

Its hit and miss tho, I mean we have Osman, Barkley and Coleman who we all agree benefitted from a loan. Then theres LOADS of others who clearly didnt, but how many of them would have made it anyway, even if they stayed. I agree with the Galloway thing, he was part of the team and he looked the part, he then has a failed loan after a failed loan and hes playing U23 footy still at 23.

Anyway, hopefully Gibson does make the breakthrough, we paid big money for the lad at 17. Its just pointless keeping him if hes gonna be 5th choice. Thankfully for him, we currently only have 2 CBs ready for next season, so if hes good enough theres certainly a spot ready.

With Baines likely being released it’s a great time for a young left back to be coming through at Everton.

Digne will play every game that he’s fit and on that basis alone we would struggle to attract an experienced player who is content to just bench warm.

This is the perfect scenario to introduce a young player to the first team and let them experience all that goes with it. For me, Gibson’s ability to also provide centre-back cover puts him ahead of Robinson but a good pre-season is essential to nail down the spot.

DCL did get experience in the lower leagues before he joined us though, as did Stones before him, and Dele Alli for Spurs.
Further afield, Harry Kane went out on loan numerous times, before breaking through.
I suspect it depends on the mentality of the player more than anything, as it's a big step going from the relatively nurturing environment of youth football to open-age, and it's probably easier to mentally make that step in 5-10 minute appearances in the PL than it is playing full-games in front of (potentially hostile) crowds in the Championship or lower leagues.

DCL did get experience in the lower leagues before he joined us though, as did Stones before him, and Dele Alli for Spurs.
Further afield, Harry Kane went out on loan numerous times, before breaking through.
I suspect it depends on the mentality of the player more than anything, as it's a big step going from the relatively nurturing environment of youth football to open-age, and it's probably easier to mentally make that step in 5-10 minute appearances in the PL than it is playing full-games in front of (potentially hostile) crowds in the Championship or lower leagues.

....absolutely, there are instances. All i’m saying, though, is lots of folk think it’s the automatic way to go but history doesn’t particularly back that up. I’m not convinced. I’m more persuaded to think our best are better being introduced into the first team set-up here rather than thrown in the deep end under a Manager elsewhere who has different priority.

The other point I will make about Gibson is that he’s had a few injury issues of late. He’s still in a physical development stage at 18 and needs to be monitored.

Loans are fine to put young professionals in the shop window but they should not be a given for all.