BT Sport Films - tonight 9pm - Two Tribes - Merseyside football through the 80's

Status
Not open for further replies.
The book is excellent reading, offers a superb insight into the way Thatcher and the Tories treated Merseyside in general... must have got right up the old cows nose that both footie teams were at the top of their form while she was trying to grind the city into the ground.

The book is excellent reading, offers a superb insight into the way Thatcher and the Tories treated Merseyside in general... must have got right up the old cows nose that both footie teams were at the top of their form while she was trying to grind the city into the ground.
Waiting the missus to go to bed so I can watch it on catch up.Meanwhile I am sat here watching an episode of Bones.............CHRIST lol

TBH mate growing up as a kid in Liverpool at that time you dident realise how hard it must have been for your mum and
Dad .But as we all know them horrible tories and one in particular hit normal families really hard
I remember my mum and dad really struggling. I think my dad had to say he'd left my mum to enable us to claim benefits. He was a proud man, worked without even a sick day from the age of 16. Clumps of his hair fell out due to stress. I didn't tell my parents about school trips because I didnt want to ask for the money- I was just about in junior school. I'll NEVER vote Tory.

Have to admit I didn't realise just how bad it was. Never seen videos of the riots before, actually brought a tear to my eye. Horrible time. Hopefully the entire city will flourish again soon - I know it's still blank around the grounds and loads of other suburbs.
Yep
The program was spot on I can remember it like it was yesterday.
We ( & them) were fantastic , the titles ,the trophies , the Wembley trips & Europe.
Yes we were the very very best and it gave everyone an outlet away from the carnage the city was put through by Thatcher and her government.
But you know what , we stood up stood firm and fought our way back.
Lets just hope the football and not the political devastation returns....its long overdue.

70s factories closing down every week. 80s no jobs. Loads of lads went away to work. FV was a part of going the game especially if you went to all the away games. 1985 Full week in Holland. Amsterdam full of blues. Train to Rotterdam and back on the wed. Then Friday night over to London for Fa cup final against the mancs. Heysel happened and I don't think.us blues realised at that time how much it would damage the blues. Still got to fa final 86 and won league in 87. But players wanted to.play.in europe and a great team broke up. By the time the European ban was lifted we had dropped down but the RS qualified. I always thought if they had said no we want Everton to take our place the hatred may not have been as much. Only one i.have heard say anything is daglish who said that Everton were the team affected the most by heysel.

Status
Not open for further replies.