Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
After the excitement of the last 2 summer transfer seasons and the subsequent disappointment in the following seasons, I trust you will forgive me for reserving judgement until we are solid top 6 at Christmas 2019.

the model last year was to sign young unproven players or guys who had fallen somewhat to the wayside like Gomes and Zouma had. All i know is i have heard for a while now that we will not be buying anymore £50m big time signings on big wages ala Gylfi, the only reason it happened with Richarlison is that Silva was determined to have him here as part of the whole deal. As far as i know we are looking at players within the £20-30m price band.

You don't know anything.

Read on Skysports that Brands is targeting 7 players for the summer. Anyone have any ideas who they are?
Really can’t see us signing 7 players unless, by some Brands miracle, he has buyers for the majority of our dead-wood players.
Or if a fair number of the 7 will be heading to the U23’s.

It could be that he has identified 7 players, with some of them being ‘alternative signings’ if his first choices are not available.

Or, more likely situation is that the Echo have pulled that figure from their arse to fill column inches :coffee:

We may well bring in seven, but they will not be immediate starters in the team.
I think we will see young players brought in and slowly given first team experience over the season as they are ready , maybe even longer than one season in some cases.
I think we need to accept that we are now in a long term project.

Of course, our transfer budget is also contingent on how many players we can move out of the club and how much we can get for them or at what cost to us to move them on.

We may well bring in seven, but they will not be immediate starters in the team.
I think we will see young players brought in and slowly given first team experience over the season as they are ready , maybe even longer than one season in some cases.

Of course, our transfer budget is also contingent on how many players we can move out of the club and how much we can get for them or at what cost to us to move them on.

I think that may be the case also. We need to spend relatively big on a striker I think, but apart from that I don't see big money being spent and the amount we can get from incomings will be limited anyway.

Austerity has been flagged up in advance and there is (supposedly) the stadium to consider at a time when the club will need to convince potential funding partners that we have our house in order. There is likely a huge degree of circumspection from Moshiri about another spending spree, even if that was viable, after the mess made of the previous largesse.

This is the summer where we are going to have to see the beginnings of Brands true worth as DOF. We need to buy young and cheap, and sell on for multiples of what we pay. There is no other way forward as I see it. Two or three players this summer, who can make double or more, much more what we paid for them by the time we are ready to move ground.

So the summer may bring names that are obscure and unknown to most of us, but so be it.

In a way, this is what cements my concerns about Silva. He simply isn't going to be handed the resources given to Koeman, however unfair it is. That obviously makes his task much harder, if we are looking for his 2nd season to be one of progression and dealing with the known ills of the squad. I'm sure sure he has the ability to get a significant extra % from a group of players under such constraints. It is a tall ask for anyone.

I think that may be the case also. We need to spend relatively big on a striker I think, but apart from that I don't see big money being spent and the amount we can get from incomings will be limited anyway.

Austerity has been flagged up in advance and there is (supposedly) the stadium to consider at a time when the club will need to convince potential funding partners that we have our house in order. There is likely a huge degree of circumspection from Moshiri about another spending spree, even if that was viable, after the mess made of the previous largesse.

This is the summer where we are going to have to see the beginnings of Brands true worth as DOF. We need to buy young and cheap, and sell on for multiples of what we pay. There is no other way forward as I see it. Two or three players this summer, who can make double or more, much more what we paid for them by the time we are ready to move ground.

So the summer may bring names that are obscure and unknown to most of us, but so be it.

In a way, this is what cements my concerns about Silva. He simply isn't going to be handed the resources given to Koeman, however unfair it is. That obviously makes his task much harder, if we are looking for his 2nd season to be one of progression and dealing with the known ills of the squad. I'm sure sure he has the ability to get a significant extra % from a group of players under such constraints. It is a tall ask for anyone.

Totally agree with this. Koeman/Walsh strategy of buying 28 year olds was so flawed it was scary, they had no interest in the long-term. This might have worked had they got Mata and Witsel and the likes, but we ended up with our 5th or 6th choice targets at massively inflated prices.

Young, hungry talent with massive potential is the way forward, however... we need to spend big on 1 top quality striker. It's the most important position on the pitch, the difference between 7th and 12th, or 6th and 4th. Lukaku's goals in this team would make a massive difference, we would be on the cusp of 6th.

It's been that way since Moyes left.
The future was meant to be stones, Barkley Lukaku who have all left.
You have richarlison and digne already tipped to move and they haven't even finished their first season yet and no European football for a second season running

It's been that way since Moyes left.
The future was meant to be stones, Barkley Lukaku who have all left.
You have richarlison and digne already tipped to move and they haven't even finished their first season yet and no European football for a second season running
We have a proper DoF now who has experience of doing this sort thing paired up with new stadium, It's hard to do a long term project since every new manager since Moyes has a good first season then nearly gets us relegated the next.

Jovic and Haller play in the Budesliga how are they proven? That league is just as gash as the Turkish one.
Dzeko is 33 and would require stupid wages for a man of his age which isn't want Brands want.

It's hardy as "gash" as the Turkish league, come on.

It is of a lower standard right now certainly.

It doesn't matter where a player comes from anyway, if they are good they are good, just don't look at the players based purely on stats and it will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.