Power BI - Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Python next on my list too as R seemed a bit like a coding for the sake of coding? that said I don't need either for my job, so guessing you are in Data Science?

Nice work btw @Ihaters, if this stuff is relatively new to you, my advice is: get Dashboard requests finalised and signed off before you put hours of work in! there's always some middle-manager who does literally nothing but have "bright ideas" in meetings who'll say "...oooh what would be great is if we could see X by Y"

I'm a bit of a unique one really... I'm completely self taught and currently automating Finance. I have zero finance experience, they made the role for me based on my skills. With my background, and what I have achieved, it seems to inspire people... amazes me really.

I learn all the time and keep challenging myself. I use a variety of software, favourite being Alteryx Designer. But I'm a big fan of the new O365 power package.

I have two Premium sites I run for Power BI, love that as I can wrap a load of stuff into an App.

Will try not to go on too much as I could seriously given the transfer thread a run for its money with this subject. Definitely try hooking up Excel to the Power BI dataset.. unbelievably quick for a pivot in Excel. Plus you can feed your own measures. :)

I'm a bit of a unique one really... I'm completely self taught and currently automating Finance. I have zero finance experience, they made the role for me based on my skills. With my background, and what I have achieved, it seems to inspire people... amazes me really.

I learn all the time and keep challenging myself. I use a variety of software, favourite being Alteryx Designer. But I'm a big fan of the new O365 power package.

I have two Premium sites I run for Power BI, love that as I can wrap a load of stuff into an App.

Will try not to go on too much as I could seriously given the transfer thread a run for its money with this subject. Definitely try hooking up Excel to the Power BI dataset.. unbelievably quick for a pivot in Excel. Plus you can feed your own measures. :)

Yeah, self taught wins every time in my experience, pick up the skills when you need them for a specific task and you'll smash through the learning curve in a matter of days/weeks (mostly thanks to google!)

ODBC hook up right? can I point PowerBI directly at my scheduled SQL tables? (quite lucky at my current place that the more technical analysts are allowed to play in the B.I. environment)

Yeah, self taught wins every time in my experience, pick up the skills when you need them for a specific task and you'll smash through the learning curve in a matter of days/weeks (mostly thanks to google!)

ODBC hook up right? can I point PowerBI directly at my scheduled SQL tables? (quite lucky at my current place that the more technical analysts are allowed to play in the B.I. environment)

Ah yes... SQL and the world is open!

So you can form a live ODBC link there, plus you can use the Analysis services option. You'll need an always on Gateway, they do personal but on premises is a lot better... As the data hits the DB, Power BI will just update. I have a few running like this, one DB generates 18m rows a year and haven't done a days maintenance on it. Before they had to get a selection of the data via memory stick! :D

With a little M Code, you can pass variables to the SQL query before running. Then if you want super cool, you could make that a function and just feed variable tables at it, so it cycles through the table running the query for each line of variables.

So check this... In Flow, you can power query into the SQL and build a report. You can trigger a Flow from say Teams, so a user can just got the button, Flow runs, grabs data from SQL, mashes it up and then sends an email to the user with an attachment containing an excel with the data... but so many possibilities, that's just an example. Linking a SharePoint folder and list together in PBI gives some great functionality to.

Ah yes... SQL and the world is open!

So you can form a live ODBC link there, plus you can use the Analysis services option. You'll need an always on Gateway, they do personal but on premises is a lot better... As the data hits the DB, Power BI will just update. I have a few running like this, one DB generates 18m rows a year and haven't done a days maintenance on it. Before they had to get a selection of the data via memory stick! :D

With a little M Code, you can pass variables to the SQL query before running. Then if you want super cool, you could make that a function and just feed variable tables at it, so it cycles through the table running the query for each line of variables.

So check this... In Flow, you can power query into the SQL and build a report. You can trigger a Flow from say Teams, so a user can just got the button, Flow runs, grabs data from SQL, mashes it up and then sends an email to the user with an attachment containing an excel with the data... but so many possibilities, that's just an example. Linking a SharePoint folder and list together in PBI gives some great functionality to.

Hah, it was actually Sharepoint that introduced me to ODBCs back in like 2004, I exported a list to Excel and saw a refresh option, I was like "wait... did that just... what?" *mind blown*

.....I presume this is a kiddies computer game.

Not quite Eggs, it's business intelligence software. So computer games for big kids. :D

It's a way of finding a snippet of creativity in an otherwise bland environment for me.

Ask me anything you're struggling with and I'll do my best to help. Been with Power BI since birth and amongst other things, I am the Northern Hemisphere Power BI Super User for a very large company. This week I have been experimenting with MDX queries wrapped in M Code to speed up transfer via Analysis Services and provide parameterisation, with quite good results. :) I'm pretty good with Excel as well. Two things I love, Everton and Power BI... Nice one!

Also, if you haven't already... Check out MS Flow and MS Teams... The future for sure. Power BI embeds really well in Teams.
Can,t find the brick game mate

Hah, it was actually Sharepoint that introduced me to ODBCs back in like 2004, I exported a list to Excel and saw a refresh option, I was like "wait... did that just... what?" *mind blown*

Awesome. Love the mind opening moments of realisation, like a whole new branch of possibility added.

Power BI has some great connection options, but really SQL from experience, wins hands down. I use Analysis Services to a Cube, it's horrid in comparison.

I kind of worked in isolation for a few years and it was only a career change that made me realise what I was achieving. Turns out I was a good 6 years ahead of the curve. Ideas they hadn't had, I had already achieved. :)

Needs some graphs fam. Particularly pie charts

I’d love to see a pie chart of Everton fan’s favorite bars, and perhaps a bar chart of their favorite pies.
Great minds...
UJy6Rt.gif

Ask me anything you're struggling with and I'll do my best to help. Been with Power BI since birth and amongst other things, I am the Northern Hemisphere Power BI Super User for a very large company. This week I have been experimenting with MDX queries wrapped in M Code to speed up transfer via Analysis Services and provide parameterisation, with quite good results. :) I'm pretty good with Excel as well. Two things I love, Everton and Power BI... Nice one!

Also, if you haven't already... Check out MS Flow and MS Teams... The future for sure. Power BI embeds really well in Teams.

giphy.gif

This is seriously cool (but I'm a stats nerd with a degree in stats). I know that some of our clients use Power BI and a couiple in my office know how. Seeing how slick this looks makes me want to give it a shot as well. I encourage you to continue your endeavors and if I get around to it I'll ad what I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.