2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither did Richarlison. What's your reasoning for that SD?

Richarlison doesn’t have the team built around him and given the responsibility of playmaker. He was played outside and so his job is to track his man defensively and create going forward offensively. He at least did one of these in the first half if not the other but he’s somewhat reliant on service from the full backs, midfield, or our 45 mill number 10. Siggurdson a job though being in midfield in that role is to pressurise the opposition midfield, win the ball, keep possession, get us playing, create chances for the strikers. He did none of these things in the first half and barely did them in the second. His most telling contribution was almost messing up the pen (again) and putting in one decent corner. Nowhere near enough. He was completely outshone by Gueye Richarlison and Calvert Lewin in terms of players doing their jobs that they are in the team to do.

Richarlison doesn’t have the team built around him and given the responsibility of playmaker. He was played outside and so his job is to track his man defensively and create going forward offensively. He at least did one of these in the first half if not the other but he’s somewhat reliant on service from the full backs, midfield, or our 45 mill number 10. Siggurdson a job though being in midfield in that role is to pressurise the opposition midfield, win the ball, keep possession, get us playing, create chances for the strikers. He did none of these things in the first half and barely did them in the second. His most telling contribution was almost messing up the pen (again) and putting in one decent corner. Nowhere near enough. He was completely outshone by Gueye Richarlison and Calvert Lewin in terms of players doing their jobs that they are in the team to do.
Hmmm no mate.
Sig's job yesterday was to block the pass to Jorginho. He wasn't pressing high or aggressively at all yesterday- clearly under instruction.
You'll have to work harder to shoe-horn this agenda my friend.

There must be a lot of Jorginho's in this league then.
Doesn't take long to look lads.
1552925731827.png

Hmmm no mate.
Sig's job yesterday was to block the pass to Jorginho. He wasn't pressing high or aggressively at all yesterday- clearly under instruction.
You'll have to work harder to shoe-horn this agenda my friend.

Would like to see some stats about how successful he was at doing so.

Jorginho seemed to have plenty of the ball yesterday.

Edit: Jorginho had 74 touches, a 80% pass accuracy including a single key pass. Sigurdsson had 37 touches with a 61% pass accuracy including 3 KP's.

I didn't really work though as they should've been at least 2 up by half time.

Doesn't explain similar touches he has in most games though
I was disputing the fact SD @Saint Domingo said his job is to pressurise the opposition and win the ball back mate when it's clear his role was to make life difficult for Chelsea to get the ball into their pressure valve Jorginho.

Whether he did that or not is another debate, one which i'd have to have a read into before commenting.

Off the pens now Gilf lad. Digne can take the reigns. Still of course keep in the first xi as he's been good this season.

I was disputing the fact SD @Saint Domingo said his job is to pressurise the opposition and win the ball back mate when it's clear his role was to make life difficult for Chelsea to get the ball into their pressure valve Jorginho.

Whether he did that or not is another debate, one which i'd have to have a read into before commenting.

Do you were ok with us having none of the ball int he first half because Gylfi was covering Jorginho? We could have been 2 or 3 down with better Chelsea finishing. He achieved nothing. They controlled the game until half time so therefore whatever he was doing was a complete failure.

Still think if we can bring in a good CF and RW to make up for his goals he should be more of a squad player next season with a more creative CM brought in to go 4-3-3.

Do you were ok with us having none of the ball int he first half because Gylfi was covering Jorginho? We could have been 2 or 3 down with better Chelsea finishing. He achieved nothing. They controlled the game until half time so therefore whatever he was doing was a complete failure.

But you're not confusing what you believe his job should be (your original point) with what his obvious instructions were. In short, you can't criticise his lack of ball winning if he's been told by the manager to block the passing lane into a particular player.

I would imagine that it wasn't the only tactic either and Silva deployed a few things which we didn't do properly, as he alluded to in his post-match comments
The question remains though as to whether Gylfi did better or not in the second half? Probably better but i'd imagine the point of stopping the passing into Jorginho was so that we could press other players on the Chelsea team which no-one first half did because we were far too deep. Second half, everything seemed to work much better. What was the reason for that? Did the tactic involving Gylfi contribute?

Despite what our resident Journalist says, looking at a Jorginho's passing accuracy won't tell you how successful Gylfi was nor will looking at his passes in isolation for this game.

Instead, we'd have to look at Jorginho's number of average passes in a half / full game across the season. We can therefore confirm his anticipated contribution in a game and see whether it stacks up against his first half / second half / full game contribution on Sunday. If his number of touches was less than his average, with some sort of threshold for likely game by game deviation, we could confirm whether Gylfi did actually do his job or not.

If that's done and Jorginho was just as influential as he always is in both halves individually and across the whole game, we can point criticism at Gylfi.

Until then, it's lazy analysis / agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.