2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great performance today. He’s certainly improving certain CF aspects like hold up play, linking, aerial ability.

I think the next and hardest step for him is around being able to score goals consistently.

Hopefully that will come, but shoeing grest strides in improvement for sure

The lad is improving all the time, lead the line well today & the first goal came from his original header...

An emerging star is young Dom...

I think it's a little harsh to bash him against him not scoring goals, Simply because we are not a creative team to provide him with 3-5 chances a game, He's lucky to even get one.
Of course he'll miss some but it's a little harsh imo, I do agree that we should get a new striker in though but this lad could easily fit in in a 4-4-2 or something similar.

...he’s got the physical ammunition, he’s got the application, he needs to believe.

‘Leading the line’ means being the out ball when your LB has possession, it means being the out ball when your RB has possession. It was in those channels he got Luis out of his comfort zone.

My benchmark is always whether the opposition CBs will know they’ve been in a game and chat about you on the trip home. I think they will.

Some of our fans need to swerve it with the overused “just isn’t good enough” shouts with this lad.

There are plenty within this squad who are far from good enough, but this lad isn’t one of them.
Only just 22 and improving by the game. Put in a great shift today, worked hard, some great link up play as well.

Needs to be more consistent in front of goal for sure, but he’s got the spot at least for the next 7 games so let’s see.

Is he the answer up front long term? Probably not, but if he keeps improving he definitely has a place in the squad.

I’ve said before that I think our fanbase sometimes has an unrealistic expectation of some of our young players. They don’t all hit the first team a near complete player like Rooney did.
They take time to develop and will have poor patches and make mistakes. We need to have more patience with them as a fanbase.

There’s plenty of chancers and bottle jobs amongst the senior team who are more deserving of the ‘fans wrath’
The young players on the whole should be given way more leeway than some give them.

/soap box ;)

100 percent understand the Bambi shouts, but the decision making was there today. Needs to take a page from Andre’s book and learn how to stay on his feet. Has all of the physical tools yet he frequently doesn’t take advantage of them. He did today

Some of our fans need to swerve it with the overused “just isn’t good enough” shouts with this lad.

There are plenty within this squad who are far from good enough, but this lad isn’t one of them.
Only just 22 and improving by the game. Put in a great shift today, worked hard, some great link up play as well.

Needs to be more consistent in front of goal for sure, but he’s got the spot at least for the next 7 games so let’s see.

Is he the answer up front long term? Probably not, but if he keeps improving he definitely has a place in the squad.

I’ve said before that I think our fanbase sometimes has an unrealistic expectation of some of our young players. They don’t all hit the first team a near complete player like Rooney did.
They take time to develop and will have poor patches and make mistakes. We need to have more patience with them as a fanbase.

There’s plenty of chancers and bottle jobs amongst the senior team who are more deserving of the ‘fans wrath’
The young players on the whole should be given way more leeway than some give them.

/soap box ;)

Agree entirely

/soap box ;)

You have got to be honest and realistic. The lad is improving and he could become an excellent player but you have to be honest with yourself and if he is the player we want leading our line next season. If you say you do then be prepared for another long season of missed chances lack of chances then get suckered on the counter. We are in dire need of a forward that can score given the chance and create something out of nothing. DCL might turn into a player like that but he isn't close at the moment. He can graft he can disrupt but he has to add the guile and composure to that. Hoping it happens for him but next season we can't just rely on his graft and disruption and hope to make a dent in the top 6. Most people on here are recognising that he might be a star of the future but we are talking about present day and I am sorry but my opinion is he is not ready and yes not good enough (yet). We keep him and hope he continues his progression as he really needs to progress. We have no choice for the rest of the season but we certainly have a choice next season or the management are being negligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.