Youth - When are we going to use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an important point, add in Williams 21, Baningime 20, Connolly 21, Dowell 21 who were all playing with the first team squad in pre season (though I appreciate only Baningime looks like he has a first team future here). Factor in Vlasic 21 and Onyekuru 21 coming back from loans into the first team squad. Then Mina 24, Zouma 24, Digne 25, Gomes 25, Pickford (just) 25 and we have a very young squad. There is only enough room for so many.

Pickford (25)
Kenny (21) Holgate (22) Mina (24) Digne (25)
Davies (20) Vlasic (21)
Lookman (21)
Richarlison (21) Calvert-Lewin (21) Onyekuru (21)

In an u23s game (allowing for 3 overage players) i wonder who could compare?

Bloated squad means less places in the match day team for the younger players. In Moyes time we had a small core bulked with youth. The bench regularly had kids on it, however only the special ones got a game regardless.

We do use them now is the answer. Football is a cut throat, all the players will have seen maybe more talented peers fail. The manager wants to win games now and picks the players he thinks will win.

Its very hard to bring young lads into a struggling team, and for them to flourish.

But hopefully doing this will quickly improve them as men, in a mans game, we do need to support them more and not get on the backs too much.

We regularly play between 3-5 players 21 and under. Anymore than that would be foolish imo, as much as I am keen for you players to be given as much of a chance as possible. This may be more of a issue next year or the one after if we do some decent player trading in the next few transfer windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.