What's the overall plan - manager and squad?

How long do we give the next guy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
theres only one answer, the bottom one.

we need the right man

whoever that is

you wouldn't of put ole in charge of united at the start of the season, but hes gone in and is the perfect fit for that club.

god knows who our perfect fit ill be, but we got to start trying to find him., not standing by someone for the sake of it when they are clearly clueless.

where would we be now if we had stuck by mike walker for ten years , cos we didn't want to look like a sacking club??
We'll never have the right man if we keep changing, as every manager will want to build a squad with players that suit their style, A clear out and rebuild every year is not the way to go.

We'll never have the right man if we keep changing, as every manager will want to build a squad with players that suit their style, A clear out and rebuild every year is not the way to go.

I don't want us to just keep sacking, but one thing that has changed with Brands coming in, is that a managerial change shouldn't change greatly the planning for the squad.

I just expected an improvement. Or signs that we were going to improve going forward.

Something to give a bit of hope.

And I’m just not seeing it. Yet.
you would think 30+ games would be enough to implement your ideas......... but it just aint happening, or have I missed something? We still need a point or two, but last weekends shambolic effort was a new low.

I just expected an improvement. Or signs that we were going to improve going forward.

Something to give a bit of hope.

And I’m just not seeing it. Yet.
I think you are right
I believe if we could of seen improvements in style of play and effort, I believe Silva would of been given more time by a healthy percentage of the fan base
As we are seeing a decline in both areas, it is becoming impossible to support him

I think we have an obsession with managers for some reason as being the ultimate cause for deficnecy.

Personally i think we dont have good enough players, or rather a poorly assembled team.

They have consistently proven it over two seasons now.

I think we have an obsession with managers for some reason as being the ultimate cause for deficnecy.

Personally i think we dont have good enough players, or rather a poorly assembled team.

They have consistently proven it over two seasons now.

I've said before the blame on us being unable to progress this season and switch to a more expansive style is IMO about 60/40 on the players/squad. There are feck all options around the team to cover out of form players.

Unfortunately we are counting on Brands for any chance of reversing that. A lot of hope placed on his role in all this without really knowing how competent he is or will prove to be.

Save us Marcel

I've said before the blame on us being unable to progress this season and switch to a more expansive style is IMO about 60/40 on the players/squad. There are feck all options around the team to cover out of form players.

Unfortunately we are counting on Brands for any chance of reversing that. A lot of hope placed on his role in all this without really knowing how competent he is or will prove to be.

Save us Marcel

I think one of the biggest redeeming factors for both with Silva and Brands has been recruitment a chara.

Where would be without Dinge, Richalison, Gomes and to a lesser extent Zouma and Bernard, personally i think Mina is a rolls royce with quality to burn and will show it eventually. Equally where would be without getting the best out of Gylfi and to an extent DCL, who i have seen a marked improvement in this season.

Honestly where would be.......

We have gaping holes in the squad. Threads on here are littered with lads saying such and such isn't good enough or we need player x in such a position. That is correct its the instinct of fans to know that there are limits and deficiencies in the team. A lot of of the good recruitment and criticising existing players hints at one thing , Transition! We are a team, a club in transition, we have to allow the foundations to be put in and be patient in working against those limits, its the only way.

What do we expect in transition? To be winning every week? No chance. Its what we are getting, boom and bust football and i expected nothing less. Another manager wont get more out of bad players, yes they may get better results, like Allardyce, but we have chosen a different and ultimately better way. Its time to have the courage to see that plan through and hold our nerve.

I keep saying it, we are what we look a team made up of signings and recruitment of at least 5 different management regimes, with different philosophys, outlooks of the game and purposes for their signings. None of those managers were given the opportunity to put their full 11 out that they recruited. Thus we have a rag tag bunch of a collection of thoughts and players from different managers, that cant and wont gel. The past five seasons has proven that. That has led the team having no cohesion, symmetry or strategy in putting the team together. Its a mismatch of five different managers ideas and players - all very different.

I have huge questions on the make up of the team, the intentions of the players in signing here and to be quite frank the character of an awful lot of them. It has been evident in many of our results this season, we have a powder puff squad, with some quality players but significant limits in quality in other areas - but character is my biggest accusation at this squad, i dont see any battling or leadership qualities, i never have and i suspect i never will, its a powder puff squad in the main, that is why we get results like last week. I dont see changing a manager changing that trait of this current squad. .

In the transition and that is indeed what we are in, the one objective must be followed, the squad needs turnover, both financially and in team construction. The manager needs to put his own 11 out and be allowed the time to do that. Its good for Everton. What is massively positive is the recruitment thus far, we have signed and invested in some really excellent players with plenty of head room to kick on who have and will contribute more with a full preseason and a year in the PL under their belt. If that can be strategically added to and some key positions added to within the system, we will kick on no doubt next season, i still maintain its a three year piece of work, if its done quicker, Marco and Brands will have worked a wonder.

Last edited:
I think one of the biggest redeeming factors for both with Silva and Brands has been recruitment a chara.

Where would be without Dinge, Richalison, Gomes and to a lesser extent Zouma and Bernard, personally i think Mina is a rolls royce with quality to burn and will show it eventually. Equally where would be without getting the best out of Gylfi and to an extent DCL, who i have seen a marked improvement in this season.

Honestly where would be.......

We have gaping holes in the squad. Threads on here are littered with lads saying such and such isn't good enough or we need player x in such a position. That is correct its the instinct of fans to know that there are limits and deficiencies in the team. A lot of of the good recruitment and criticising existing players hints at one thing , Transition! We are a team, a club in transition, we have to allow the foundations to be put in and be patient in working against those limits, its the only way.

What do we expect in transition? To be winning every week? No chance. Its what we are getting, boom and bust football and i expected nothing less. Another manager wont get more out of bad players, yes they may get better results, like Allardyce, but we have chosen a different and ultimately better way. Its time to have the courage to see that plan through and hold our nerve.

I keep saying it, we are what we look a team made up of signings and recruitment of at least 5 different management regimes, with different philosophys, outlooks of the game and purposes for their signings. None of those managers were given the opportunity to put their full 11 out that they recruited. Thus we have a rag tag bunch of a collection of thoughts and players from different managers, that cant and wont gel. The past five seasons has proven that. That has led the team having no cohesion, symmetry or strategy in putting the team together. Its a mismatch of five different managers ideas and players - all very different.

I have huge questions on the make up of the team, the intentions of the players in signing here and to be quite frank the character of an awful lot of them. It has been evident in many of our results this season, we have a powder puff squad, with some quality players but significant limits in quality in other areas - but character is my biggest accusation at this squad, i dont see any battling or leadership qualities, i never have and i suspect i never will, its a powder puff squad in the main, that is why we get results like last week. I dont see changing a manager changing that trait of this current squad. .

In the transition and that is indeed what we are in, the one objective must be followed, the squad needs turnover, both financially and in team construction. The manager needs to put his own 11 out and be allowed the time to do that. Its good for Everton. What is massively positive is the recruitment thus far, we have signed and invested in some really excellent players with plenty of head room to kick on who have and will contribute more with a full preseason and a year in the PL under their belt. If that can be strategically added to and some key positions added to within the system, we will kick on no doubt next season, i still maintain its a three year piece of work, if its done quicker, Marco and Brands will have worked a wonder.

Agree with all that, but don't have your strong belief and optimism. I am more hopeful that with Brands we will be going in a different direction than before, the correct direction. But can't be sure he won't be another Everton failure.

I just hope that if Silva doesn't make it, that the next guy can do enough first season to keep the Sack Em All fans relatively quiet until they turn around this mess.

The best thing for the club right now is that the current manager gets a few wins in the last games starting with a win Vs Chelsea. He still won't have proven much but it should allow them to work with less pressure in the summer and get on with the really crucial job.

So far this thread has had almost none of the loudest Sack Him posters show up to explain with a bit of detail and with context of the current situation how we handle things going forward if we do sack him. Like I said, some kind of a joined up plan beyond just shouting spend money and get a top manager. It's extremely easy to scream on the sidelines.

When people talk about 'manager' do they mean head coach? I thought the point of a Director of Football, like Brands, is that he sets the style and buys the players for it. That way you can change the coach without much disruption. (I still think a coach needs three years to make something coherent of a group of players unless they are bright and adaptable.)

I don't believe that Silva is under pressure or is under threat of losing his job this season.

I believe the difficulties he was facing were well recognised before he was appointed and he will be given more time to move players out of the club and to bring players in.
I would expect that improvement will be demanded next season but I think this is regarded as a long term project be Brands and Moshiri.
It was not that many months before Silva arrived that we appointed Sam Allyrdyce to keep us away from the very real possibility of relegation.. in spite of all the money that was spent.
We have seen that reckless spending can set a club back years and I don't think that mistake will be repeated easily.
We should be able to recoup substantial funds this summer from the sales of players like Gueye, Tosun,Schneiderlin,Besic,Vlasic,if he is to be sold, Onyekurur, if he is to be sold and maybe others besides.

When people talk about 'manager' do they mean head coach? I thought the point of a Director of Football, like Brands, is that he sets the style and buys the players for it. That way you can change the coach without much disruption. (I still think a coach needs three years to make something coherent of a group of players unless they are bright and adaptable.)

That’s what we should be doing.

I think two seasons is fair to see some improvement, so I think Silva gets the next one as well. The kind of miracle some people were expecting is unrealistic in my opinion, we just don't have the players with the right mentality and/or skills. The next transfer window will reveal all.

Status
Not open for further replies.