Henry Onyekuru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they're different, but that has nothing to do with the point being made. The argument was that people would talk down Onyekuru's return by saying it was 'only' the Turkish league, as if this was somehow unfair. All i'm saying is that it's a perfectly valid thing to do, as having a good return in that league does not in any way equate to having a good return here. Whether he's a better player or not is really by the by in terms of what's being discussed.
Sure, but maybe I missed the greater context. Yes, I saw a Niasse / Tosun comparison, but Onyenkuru wouldn’t be expected to come in here and light up the PL, that would be silly. I would think anyone would be encouraged for a kid to be scoring in a decent league that is filled with grown men, not s bunch of young prospects like Scotland or the Dutch league.

And you're welcome to use that logic. I'm just pointing out that it's pretty ridiculous saying 'people will say it's only the Turkish league...' and then admitting yourself that the last player we signed who looked good in the Turkish league has flopped and isn't suited to the PL. Personally I think there are valid concerns when somebody's coming from that sort of league. Yes Onyekuru is quick and Tosun isn't, but there's a bit more to it than that isn't there. One of the reasons Tosun's lack of pace wasn't an issue in Turkey is because you get more time and space, and also more chances. Onyekuru has the pace but can he use it when he isn't given the acres of space he's got in loads of these clips that are being posted, and can he do enough over the course of 90 minutes to justify a place if not? I'm not saying he can't, just that it's a perfectly valid reason t ohave reservations.

You are right to say Tosun and Onyekuru have a similar record in the Turkish League. I think whats quite critical to point out though, is Onyekuru has a very good record in the Belgium league too, while Tosun has a good season in that league and thats about it.

The 2nd point to note is the ages of players. If you are still playing in the Turkish League at 26 it's unlikely you are going to be good enough to make the grade in a top European league. Whereas if you are 21 then you stand a good chance if you put the same sort of stats together.

The final point I'd make, is that Onyekuru's game suits the PL. He's direct and fast. You can see he would deal with the physicality of the league and many teams play now with wide attacking forwards which looks to be his strength.

Most strikers in the PL are either extremely quick, or well over 6 ft. Bosun is neither of those. I said at the time he reminded me of Jelavic & the Spanish lad who went to Spurs. Good finishers but in a more powerful league would struggle to get chances.

None of this means Onyekuru will make it here, but he has much more of a chance than Tosun ever did.

I'm always amazed at some of our fans and where they think we are really. We are a very ordinary team. I see Turkey is sandwiched between Ukraine & Holland in the leagues rankings. Imagine if we were linked with a winger playing for Ajax who was 21 scoring a goal every other game. Or the same from Kiev. People would be extremely excited about it on here. Yet when it's our own player there is a scepticism. Maybe the scepticism is right and we get too excited about new players, but there is without doubt a major disjunct.

I have no idea if Onyekuru would make it here, but I've seen enough over the last 5 years to know we can't afford to caste such players aside.

You are right to say Tosun and Onyekuru have a similar record in the Turkish League. I think whats quite critical to point out though, is Onyekuru has a very good record in the Belgium league too, while Tosun has a good season in that league and thats about it.

The 2nd point to note is the ages of players. If you are still playing in the Turkish League at 26 it's unlikely you are going to be good enough to make the grade in a top European league. Whereas if you are 21 then you stand a good chance if you put the same sort of stats together.

The final point I'd make, is that Onyekuru's game suits the PL. He's direct and fast. You can see he would deal with the physicality of the league and many teams play now with wide attacking forwards which looks to be his strength.

Most strikers in the PL are either extremely quick, or well over 6 ft. Bosun is neither of those. I said at the time he reminded me of Jelavic & the Spanish lad who went to Spurs. Good finishers but in a more powerful league would struggle to get chances.

None of this means Onyekuru will make it here, but he has much more of a chance than Tosun ever did.

I'm always amazed at some of our fans and where they think we are really. We are a very ordinary team. I see Turkey is sandwiched between Ukraine & Holland in the leagues rankings. Imagine if we were linked with a winger playing for Ajax who was 21 scoring a goal every other game. Or the same from Kiev. People would be extremely excited about it on here. Yet when it's our own player there is a scepticism. Maybe the scepticism is right and we get too excited about new players, but there is without doubt a major disjunct.

I have no idea if Onyekuru would make it here, but I've seen enough over the last 5 years to know we can't afford to caste such players aside.
I agree with what you're saying, and I've already said I'm not suggesting Onyekuru isn't excellent or suited to the league. The point was purely that it's understandable that people will say 'it's only the Turkish league' when we've had a couple of players come from there and not do much.

Davy Klassen fits almost perfectly into the bracket of player you're talking about people getting extremely excited about, and he was a let down. He and Sandro can't be put down to age but they didn't work out at all. There's nothing wrong with getting excited, but there's nothing wrong with being slightly sceptical either.

I agree with what you're saying, and I've already said I'm not suggesting Onyekuru isn't excellent or suited to the league. The point was purely that it's understandable that people will say 'it's only the Turkish league' when we've had a couple of players come from there and not do much.

Davy Klassen fits almost perfectly into the bracket of player you're talking about people getting extremely excited about, and he was a let down. He and Sandro can't be put down to age but they didn't work out at all. There's nothing wrong with getting excited, but there's nothing wrong with being slightly sceptical either.

A lot is about how the team is managed too. There's no doubt the Sandro deal was ill thought through. Klaassen is more on Koeman due to lack of thought. Both lads were brought in, put in too early then bombed out without any 2nd chance. We've managed this summers signings much better.

Thats not to say either of the above make the grade, but you certainly give yourself a better chance.

I'd like to see Onyekuru used from the bench in games.

Most strikers in the PL are either extremely quick, or well over 6 ft. Bosun is neither of those. I said at the time he reminded me of Jelavic

62F72333-5FCC-48B0-9719-8E79211CB55F.jpeg

Benk Bosun...

There is no reason for us to sell him, especially given the interest.

The only way to try and cover some of the massive losses we have made are to make low signings like this and develop them into players with five times that amount.

If true, hes been linked to plenty of teams now.

I wonder what his value must be...

My guess would be £25mil+ after all, Tosun was £21mil i think and this kid seems a superior prospect.

Tosun was nearly £30m iirc. Classic Walsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.