Playing for the shirt! Is it real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I was alive to experience this everton. players seemed to have a personality. I didn't think that was a thing.

I agree. Was just getting into understanding my team during this time, and wish I had got into supporting them a lot more than i did (was a bit too young to understand) what a team!!

'only wins satisfy this team'

I have a blue in our company who is just like this. was a big fan, and not only is apathetic about Everton, but has completely lost interest in the premier league for the same reasons - no passion, no commitment, too much money and too commercial. I understand, but can't blame anyone really , because we are putting in money by turning up, buying stuff or subscribing to the channels, so we are putting in the £billions into the premier league. I don't think anyone really plays with any passion, and that's why i argue all over the place that local players, English players or blue scousers, are really important to have in the team, even if it's just 2-3, because they can lift the team on Derby day, help the overseas players understand the passion and also 'get' the local fan.

I don't think there's loyalty in either direction, and clubs will happily drop and sell players whom they have adopted as family, if it makes financial sense.
My mum used to be a kopite. The increase of money and corruption put her right off top flight football. She watches England matches but hasn't supported Liverpool for donkey's, which is just as well because both her kids are blues and my current stepdad hates Liverpool.

Also, what does 'to play with passion' mean? Does it mean actually trying, or does it mean turning into Duncan Ferguson and kicking the crap out of the opponent?

Plenty of foreigners 'get' the club, whatever that means. Look at Cahill - he's an Aussie. Naismith's a Scot, he did loads for EITC. Peanuts is South African and still loves us, and so does Howard, an American, Limpar, a Swede (and Arsenal too), and Amokachi, a Nigerian. Barkley, meanwhile is a Scouser and couldn't wait to bugger off to London. I do like our youth policy though. Breeding new players is important. I hate United but that's one of the few good things about them.
Personalities. There is clearly no loud leaders in our team. Too many quiet players. When opposition scores nobody takes responsibility.
Pickford? Coleman? Wasn't Jags very vocal at Cardiff?
We concede a goal, our players just look around at each other, then walk away heads down, that says it all.
What are they supposed to do?

Money,money,money - It would be interesting if pay was performance related.

Basic £5k and an extra 60k if they win - I reckon you'd see them put a 'shift in' then

Everton are not a team, just a bunch of players who play football for the same club, we are a stepping stone club and it's hard to build a team when most players don't see Everton as a long term career.

They should play for the shirt but I understand they don't have a connection like we do. they should play for personal pride and not wanting to get beat.

They're professional sportsmen, losing will hurt them more than we think, competitive people hate losing, they're just shy of confidence.

Going into training, knowing and your team mates knowing, you didn't put a shift in, won't be pleasant, just we don't have personalities who will take their team mates to hand and bollock them.

It's part of being a top player, for me. The desire to win, to get better all the time, it's all tied together. Even if they're not really arsed what badge they're wearing, the best players look like they care because of their competitiveness and how they approach the game. Very difficult to attract and keep such players when you're the most stagnant club in the world.
Most players are lazy though. Someone mentioned Ronaldo, but Kevin Keegan was an absolute beast on the training ground, and it made him a world class player. There were probably more naturally talented players, but he was able to go far further and play much better.

I think it is still possible to play for the shirt but it's up to the manager and senior players to instill that into the squad.

When a guy joins a club like Everton he'd have to be very hard-hearted not to be conscious of how much the staff and supporters care.

I have a blue in our company who is just like this. was a big fan, and not only is apathetic about Everton, but has completely lost interest in the premier league for the same reasons - no passion, no commitment, too much money and too commercial. I understand, but can't blame anyone really , because we are putting in money by turning up, buying stuff or subscribing to the channels, so we are putting in the £billions into the premier league. I don't think anyone really plays with any passion, and that's why i argue all over the place that local players, English players or blue scousers, are really important to have in the team, even if it's just 2-3, because they can lift the team on Derby day, help the overseas players understand the passion and also 'get' the local fan.

I don't think there's loyalty in either direction, and clubs will happily drop and sell players whom they have adopted as family, if it makes financial sense.
Great post. ;)

My mum used to be a kopite. The increase of money and corruption put her right off top flight football. She watches England matches but hasn't supported Liverpool for donkey's, which is just as well because both her kids are blues and my current stepdad hates Liverpool.

Also, what does 'to play with passion' mean? Does it mean actually trying, or does it mean turning into Duncan Ferguson and kicking the crap out of the opponent?

Plenty of foreigners 'get' the club, whatever that means. Look at Cahill - he's an Aussie. Naismith's a Scot, he did loads for EITC. Peanuts is South African and still loves us, and so does Howard, an American, Limpar, a Swede (and Arsenal too), and Amokachi, a Nigerian. Barkley, meanwhile is a Scouser and couldn't wait to bugger off to London. I do like our youth policy though. Breeding new players is important. I hate United but that's one of the few good things about them.

Pickford? Coleman? Wasn't Jags very vocal at Cardiff?

What are they supposed to do?
Aren't they supposed to occasionally get annoyed. You know, a leader would try to get everyone's heads up. I see your point though.

Status
Not open for further replies.