Gary Lineker - What I Wore (Everton)

Status
Not open for further replies.
....he was fantastic for us that one season. He’s on the cusp of being a world class player I saw playing for us, except he wasn’t here long enough (similar to Kanchekskis). Top drawer striker who says Everton was the best club side he played in.

Obviously, his season intercepted two title winning years but I wouldn’t put that down to Linekers inclusion. I think we’d have won the league in ‘87 had he stayed. Top player.
If he would of put the chances away at Oxford it would have been different.

Going back to the 85/86 season I've never bought into the so-called change of style etc some say for our failure to win anything. There was far more obvious reasons for me.

The fact we lost the world's undisputed best goalkeeper for the title run-in and the FA Cup final, the heartbeat of the side Peter Reid only playing 15 league games all season, Derek Mountfield missing from September to March, Kevin Sheedy missing a lot of games through injury too plus others we really were stretched that season.

Added to the mix was our habit that season of conceding goals in the first couple of minutes in games costing us vital points and, most importantly of all, Liverpool winning 11 out of their last 12 games after we beat them at Anfield which allowed them to pitch the title off us at the death. These are far bigger reasons for us not landing a trophy that season imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.