2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with you but how many 20 year olds are consistently performing in first teams in the Premier League? Especially in midfield. Look at Winks, took three years for him to establish himself properly and hes 23 now.
Not meant to be a reflection on Davies, but it seems Winks has become the new Kane in terms of using him as an inaccurate comparison to our young players. Winks has been playing regularly for Spurs for 3 years, he's possibly gone a bit under the radar because he's struggled with injury and missed large chunks but when fit he's been a regular for a side finishing in the top 3 and playing in the Champions League.

I took a mate who's a city fan to the game, he said the one player who impressed him was Davies. He has no agenda for or against Davies, he's not arsed that he's a local lad and probably isn't aware of his skateboarding prowess but he has been fortunate to see some pretty decent footballers in recent years.

Thought there was abit of a sea change from the supporters towards him yesterday, he attempted a pass out wide, which just missed Digne and went out for a throw, it got applauded.
I wonder if it was just because no one was really arsed wether we won or lost, so that desperation didnt come out of the crowd yesterday and frustrations have in the past all been targeted on Tom
Or maybe after abit of a woeful run, some people have seen the grass isnt always greener and endevour aswell as ability needs to be supported.

Either way, i hope it continues and we can get behind the likes of Davies & Kenny for the rest of the season

Pickford, weirdly.

England's Number one....

Just watched our goal against Wolves and Tom starts off with the ball, dribbling forward from the half way line, lays it off but instead of running forward, jogs back a bit and holds his position.

Yesterday, playing in a more advanced role, Tom was looking to get close to DCL and near the box on every attack. Why? Because Siggy was not on the pitch.

Could Tom become a 10? Certainly showed flashes yesterday and has in the past, driving forwards and playing balls through to Rom like against Soton.

Maybe Silva and Tom do not know his best position.

I still think he can become a very good player for us but he needs a consistent run of games and to play the same position in every game.

England's Number one....

Just watched our goal against Wolves and Tom starts off with the ball, dribbling forward from the half way line, lays it off but instead of running forward, jogs back a bit and holds his position.

Yesterday, playing in a more advanced role, Tom was looking to get close to DCL and near the box on every attack. Why? Because Siggy was not on the pitch.

Could Tom become a 10? Certainly showed flashes yesterday and has in the past, driving forwards and playing balls through to Rom like against Soton.

Maybe Silva and Tom do not know his best position.

I still think he can become a very good player for us but he needs a consistent run of games and to play the same position in every game.
So you're using an example of us scoring a goal when he didn't take up an attacking position, in comparison to a game where he took up lots of attacking positions but we didn't score or have any great chances to do so, as evidence that he should be used further forward? Interesting.

So you're using an example of us scoring a goal when he didn't take up an attacking position, in comparison to a game where he took up lots of attacking positions but we didn't score or have any great chances to do so, as evidence that he should be used further forward? Interesting.

I was illustrating that siggy forces Tom to play deeper when yesterday and before he has shown he is more effective in an attacking role.

I was illustrating that siggy forces Tom to play deeper when yesterday and before he has shown he is more effective in an attacking role.
But it doesn't illustrate that does it? Because in the example you've given of how ineffective he is deeper, we score, and in the example of him being further up the pitch, we don't.

Thought there was abit of a sea change from the supporters towards him yesterday, he attempted a pass out wide, which just missed Digne and went out for a throw, it got applauded.
I wonder if it was just because no one was really arsed wether we won or lost, so that desperation didnt come out of the crowd yesterday and frustrations have in the past all been targeted on Tom
Or maybe after abit of a woeful run, some people have seen the grass isnt always greener and endevour aswell as ability needs to be supported.

Either way, i hope it continues and we can get behind the likes of Davies & Kenny for the rest of the season

It probably got applauded because as fans we're not used to a pass only just missing their intended target, our passes normally well and truly miss their intended targets by miles!

Not meant to be a reflection on Davies, but it seems Winks has become the new Kane in terms of using him as an inaccurate comparison to our young players. Winks has been playing regularly for Spurs for 3 years, he's possibly gone a bit under the radar because he's struggled with injury and missed large chunks but when fit he's been a regular for a side finishing in the top 3 and playing in the Champions League.

Yeh and he's 3 years older and played less than Davies

I really like Winks but it's a bit of a push to say he's been playing regularly. He has played 494 minutes 2 seasons ago, about 800 last season and 1300 this season. Davies has played 1500, 1900 and this season 850 minutes. Essentially he has only got close to Davies levels of involvement in the last season at age 23.

There is also a huge difference comparing an 18-20 year old player to one at 23.

None of this means Davies will emulate Winks but I do think it's a worthwhile point when people make out the league is filled with lads around Davies's age who are dominating the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.