Everton Youth Teams Thread

...Robinson is a full international but the very best youngsters don’t have to go on loan. We paid decent money for Gibson and he’s been a regular starter and skipper at U23 level even though he’s younger. If any of these lads are very talented, I expect them to leapfrog others in the queue.
I think this is a really important point, and it's why I hate the argument of 'we'll never know if we don't play them'. That's why we employ coaches, to decide who's going to make it and who's not. I've seen people use the example of Rashford getting a debut for United used so many times to suggest you can be plucked from obscurity, but it completely ignores the fact that as a 17 year old he was elevated past numerous older players to get that chance. He may have got a start quicker than they anticipated, but he'd been identified as a special talent already and was next in the queue on merit.

So they should, I just don’t see it happening in PL football these days, can see him going out for a year in the Summer. Wouldn’t even be surprised if Baines got one more year.

they might offer it but i'd be surprised if baines is happy playing the odd cup game in the twilight of his career

I think this is a really important point, and it's why I hate the argument of 'we'll never know if we don't play them'. That's why we employ coaches, to decide who's going to make it and who's not. I've seen people use the example of Rashford getting a debut for United used so many times to suggest you can be plucked from obscurity, but it completely ignores the fact that as a 17 year old he was elevated past numerous older players to get that chance. He may have got a start quicker than they anticipated, but he'd been identified as a special talent already and was next in the queue on merit.

....I think that’s right, Tom Davies has leapfrogged others and come in without a loan. Only one or two will become first team squad players and they will probably be identified as most likely and fastpathed from an early age.

...Robinson is a full international but the very best youngsters don’t have to go on loan. We paid decent money for Gibson and he’s been a regular starter and skipper at U23 level even though he’s younger. If any of these lads are very talented, I expect them to leapfrog others in the queue.
Feeney is another that is around the first team now all the time as well. I agree that the best prospects are not initially sent out on loan. However, I think Holgate needed more games than he was getting and was loaned for that reason. I think most of the other young lads are loaned out to help them find clubs.

Feeney is another that is around the first team now all the time as well. I agree that the best prospects are not initially sent out on loan. However, I think Holgate needed more games than he was getting and was loaned for that reason. I think most of the other young lads are loaned out to help them find clubs.

....i’m not so sure about Holgate. He’s played close on 60 league games for Barnsley and Everton and was a member of the first team squad. I think he was sent on loan because he was down the pecking order and unlikely to get game time. It’s difficult to see how he can work his way back into the set-up and he’ll move permanently if his loan is successful.

....i’m not so sure about Holgate. He’s played close on 60 league games for Barnsley and Everton and was a member of the first team squad. I think he was sent on loan because he was down the pecking order and unlikely to get game time. It’s difficult to see how he can work his way back into the set-up and he’ll move permanently if his loan is successful.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...ision-ability-mason-holgate-scouting-15634626
Lots of positives but Moore needs backing for a Barnes replacement. I felt that although he’s miles off where he needs to be, letting Burke go to Celtic before we’ve replaced Barnes left us under-resourced for pace in attack and Phillips’ injury (if it is that and not transferitis) amplified that.
Report V Norwich
  • SJ - 6 Some decent stops but I’m far from convinced.
  • Holgate - 8 Quick. Great quality, loves a tackle, crossing really good without dwelling on the ball. Really impressed. A definite upgrade.
  • Daws - 7 Was mostly really good.
  • Hegazi - 8 Won everything in the air and on the floor.
  • Gibbs - 7 For spells was absolutely brilliant but just dipped last 15.
  • Barry - 7 Until the booking was an 8 or 9. Ran the show and clattered into tackles but was a sitting duck afterwards.
  • Brunt - 6 Did okay and set plays were good but too many blind passes.
  • Harper - 7 Started well, then was hesitant, then for 60 mins really good but he tired at the end. Not out of place at all. Needs to keep playing. Instinctively a better footballer than Livermore already.
  • Gayle - 7 Great goal but not in the game enough - wasted out wide. Pace was important.
  • Rodriguez - 6 Some good moments and unlucky with a difficult snapshot but got in the way sometimes.
  • HRK - 6 Frustrating. Can see why he’s in the team as his strength gets us up the pitch and he caused them problems but really wasteful and poor decisions.

Last edited:
I agree Eggs, although I think it's part of a youngsters development that they spend at least 6 months out in open age football when they are around 17/19. It's important that they are exposed to the rigours and competitiveness of first team football to test them if nothing else.

Yes, if they are good enough, they probably don't need to spend a season at championship level, but only if they are getting fairly regular playing time in the premier, like with Davies when he first came in. But I still think that testing at league 1/2 level earlier in their career is vital.

....yep,I saw some of his debut and thought he played very well. The fact he’s on loan suggests he’s behind Coleman and Kenny at RB, and all of the CBs including Jagielka. Not withstanding us bringing in summer reinforcements, we have the likes of Kyle John around the first team at a very young age.

With the squad the size it is, I imagine Holgate will be moved on if a decent offer comes in.

....yep,I saw some of his debut and thought he played very well. The fact he’s on loan suggests he’s behind Coleman and Kenny at RB, and all of the CBs including Jagielka. Not withstanding us bringing in summer reinforcements, we have the likes of Kyle John around the first team at a very young age.

With the squad the size it is, I imagine Holgate will be moved on if a decent offer comes in.
Maybe if his loan continues going well he might force his way back in as an option on the right side of a three, when/if we play that formation..

Maybe if his loan continues going well he might force his way back in as an option on the right side of a three, when/if we play that formation..

....it’s a bit extravagant paying big bucks to keep a player on the books for the rare occasion we play 3 at the back.

Holgate might well be in Silva’s thoughts, I just think it’s generally not a good sign when 1st team squad players are sent on loan.

....it’s a bit extravagant paying big bucks to keep a player on the books for the rare occasion we play 3 at the back.

Holgate might well be in Silva’s thoughts, I just think it’s generally not a good sign when 1st team squad players are sent on loan.
Is he on a lot? I'd prefer him as back up to Coleman rather than Kenny the fact he can play as a CB makes him a better squad option, and his loan to a team that could very well get into the play-offs is a more positive one compared to some of the others going to Blackpool,Wigan,Bolton,but as you say it'll be how Silva/ Brands see it

Next season (age at start of next season)

Right back
Kenny (22)
Holgate (22)
John (18)
Astley (17)

Left back
Robinson (22)
Gibson (19)

I wonder how many of these players can be back up to starters in the first team next season?

Some may be sold to generate funds for a new right back starter and it would be good if we wouldnt need to pay for any other full backs.

Holgate will be part of the first team next season.

Is he on a lot? I'd prefer him as back up to Coleman rather than Kenny the fact he can play as a CB makes him a better squad option, and his loan to a team that could very well get into the play-offs is a more positive one compared to some of the others going to Blackpool,Wigan,Bolton,but as you say it'll be how Silva/ Brands see it

I wouldnt be surprised if we sold Coleman, Kenny, Holgate and Robinson in the summer and brought in around £30mil to use on a new starting right back