General Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely nothing wrong with having ambition, but you need to back it up. Don't say you're going to be a doctor and then drop out of school, don't say you're going to lose 5 stone and then go to mcdonalds every day, don't say you're aiming to win the league and then sign mediocre players. Words are easy, actions are not. So far Moshiri has said a lot and done very little when it comes to our ambitions.
A bit disingenuous. Clearly the impression being given was that this was the aim in the not too distant future, and if our CEO was not aware that was the way it would be taken, she really doesn't know football fans at all.

I cant believe people are upset that somebody has come in and said we want to win the league, regardless of projected timescales. It leaves me to wonder what your opinion of Moyes' quote with RE "knife to a gunfight"? Was that putting us down, realistic expectation, or expectation management of a demanding crowd?

I hope the aim in the not too distant future is for us to win the league, and win the top European competitions. Because quite frankly, if its not, then whats the point?

Do you think that back in 2009, Bournemouth fans were disappointed that their chairman stated a desire to play in the Premier league, or did they consider him a fool for being so unrealistic?

I cant believe people are upset that somebody has come in and said we want to win the league, regardless of projected timescales. It leaves me to wonder what your opinion of Moyes' quote with RE "knife to a gunfight"? Was that putting us down, realistic expectation, or expectation management of a demanding crowd?

I hope the aim in the not too distant future is for us to win the league, and win the top European competitions. Because quite frankly, if its not, then whats the point?

Do you think that back in 2009, Bournemouth fans were disappointed that their chairman stated a desire to play in the Premier league, or did they consider him a fool for being so unrealistic?

Hear Hear!

Stones is the only one playing regularly for a top 4 side
Ross will be off to Newcastle shortly and Rom has shown he can’t cut it at the very top table
But even when Stones does play he's what maybe the 9th best player in the team at best. It's not like City have built the team around him in the way we would be if he stayed here.

He’s their second best CH after Kompany and Kompany is nearing the end of their career
There is not one top side in the world that wouldn’t sign John Stones
I'd put him level with Kompany at number 2/3. Laporte is the main man now, he's been the second best CB in the league behind Van Dijk.

You don't really need to say anything in that sense I don't think.

I agree that it just causes more unrest, because 3 years down the line if we're 5th, you start thinking we're still miles away from where we're supposed to be instead of thinking this is good progress. It's like the whole 'short window to get amongst the elite' interview, it's fine saying it if you then back it up with actions, but saying we're aiming for the top and then appointing Koeman and Allardyce, selling Lukaku and signing Tosun etc, you just end up looking like an idiot. It sounds hollow without the actions backing it up, and nothing we've done in the last few years screams that we're really trying to be a big hitter.
fair point mate

Who's upset or disappointed? You're completely changing the context of what's being said to create a straw man argument. Of course we all hope the aim is to win the league, but the clear inference in what was said is not just that this is standard hope, but that there is a plan in place to actually deliver it. My concern is that Moshiri has made this sort of suggestion before (not a museum, no restriction to spending, short window etc) but not really made the genuinely ambitious moves to back it up. He's spent some money, i'll give him that, but after the initial posturing of saying we'd bid world record amounts for Koulibaly, we've kind of carried on signing players at the same sort of level we always have - although more of them, in his defence.

The point being made is that it's not necessarily a very sensible idea to set very high expectations if there's a possibility that you will struggle to meet them, as it breeds discontent, which we absolutely do not need. If we start to show the sort of ambition that suggests we genuinely expect to be title challengers then great, we're backing the rhetoric with with actions and nobody will have any issue with it. Until then this just goes alongside saying we're aiming for Simeone as manager but then appointing Allardyce, or bidding £12m for Shearer the day after Newcastle bid £15m. Anyone can say they're ambitious, but unless you back it up it's pointless.

It doesn't upset or disappoint me that we've said these things, I'm just not sure it was necessary.

A million words, promises, fancy graphics, and corporate backslapping.

Come Sunday, another dull, turgid, and uninspiring performance.

And they wonder why we are cynical and downbeat!

Moshiri's full quotes re squad - https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...d-moshiri-explains-evertons-problems-15648980

“Financing is not everything. I have thrown £250m to turn a museum into a competitive outfit,” he said.

“You just have to get it right, throwing money is not the answer.”

“Just buying players in January may not help us,” Moshiri added.

“We have too many players coming in.

“It's getting the performance level and improving them.

“It's not just rhetoric, we are very serious about what we want to do. I am fan and I look at the the table and No11 is just not good enough, I think we know that.

“I think we've got to go up the table and I think we need to utilise the fans' impatience to drive the club but we need to be patient to allow the development.

“There will be no reaction that has not been thought out.”

“The difficulty we've experienced is we lost three of our best players: John Stones, Ross Barkley and Romelu,” he said.

“They were young and on low wages and for us to lose Stones, you get £45m but he was on low wages. To replace him with a defender of that quality you need to pay him £200,00 a week. We didn't do that.

“And in replacing these three players we had to spend a lot of money and pay high wages, that's the difficulty, like for like.

“We sold Romelu for £75m and he was on £70,000 a week, in that region, you would have to pay £120m and pay £250,000 a week, so that is the challenge.

“It is why football experts of Marcel's calibre are needed, infrastructure is important and to comply with financial fair play you need to go for younger players on low wages. You might have to pay big fees but you've got to keep the wages down and that is the challenge.

“I think we've learnt, we've had bad luck, we've had poor judgement but I feel the business we did in the summer shows that we are in the right direction, but it's been difficult.”
You have to respect his honesty anyway.

I trust him.

It usually gets folded into equity when the owner holding the debt sells the club for the value of the club + outstanding debt.

Unless you think Moshiri is going to be sending us a bill each month?

There's good debt and bad debt and debt that we don't have to pay back until our owner sells up is a lot better than owing the banks money.

@havrey0123 yeh me and Jake don't exactly agree on Moshi/the stadium whatever, but he's spot on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.