Paulo Fonseca

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d argue yes. All day.

Look even now, the fans have forgotten about being “little old Everton”. They have expectancy having seen what we CAN do. Regardless of whether he bottled it, he’s left a legacy that the fans believe can happen.
Fans never thought we were little old Everton though.

Think back to our FA Cup semi final defeat to Liverpool in 2012. Remember the absolute fume and all the accusations of us bottling it and never having a better chance and all that. Now look at the 2 squads that day. We were raging that a squad including Magaye Gueye, Stracqualursi, McFadden and Anichebe failed to beat a team with Gerrard, Suarez, Carragher etc. And so we should, don't get me wrong. Everton fans will always demand success, that didn't come from Martinez.

From what I've seen of Shakhtar, Fonseca could be what we hoped Martinez was though. A fearless manager who wants to play good football, but with a bit more of an idea how to do it.

Fans never thought we were little old Everton though.

Think back to our FA Cup semi final defeat to Liverpool in 2012. Remember the absolute fume and all the accusations of us bottling it and never having a better chance and all that. Now look at the 2 squads that day. We were raging that a squad including Magaye Gueye, Stracqualursi, McFadden and Anichebe failed to beat a team with Gerrard, Suarez, Carragher etc. And so we should, don't get me wrong. Everton fans will always demand success, that didn't come from Martinez.

From what I've seen of Shakhtar, Fonseca could be what we hoped Martinez was though. A fearless manager who wants to play good football, but with a bit more of an idea how to do it.

Spot on. I never had a problem with his "philosophy" just his competence.

You don't promote the ideas he had and sign the players he did.

Leaves Shakhtar and obviously he'll jump at the chance of managing a mid-table win nothing club rather than any top Euopean that will obviously show interest.
Well he's previously said that managing in the Prem is his aim, so there's that.

Who above us in the 'pecking order' would take the same chance on him though?

Well he's previously said that managing in the Prem is his aim, so there's that.

Who above us in the 'pecking order' would take the same chance on him though?
It'll be interesting to see what happens if he becomes available and a decent La Liga or Bundesliga team show interest.

Leaves Shakhtar and obviously he'll jump at the chance of managing a mid-table win nothing club rather than any top Euopean that will obviously show interest.

If Moshiri wants to take us to the new stadium and make us champions and support the necessary team acquisitions then it would be the easiest sell in the world.

Arsenal are on the slide now, a couple of small mistakes in management of transfer policy could see Liverpool or Chelsea struggle. Tottenham could lose their manager and a couple of players. Only the Manchester teams are the ones unlikely to lose their position at the top of the pile. There will be chances to break into the top 6 if not the top 4 over the next few seasons, and I think Paulo might be the man to get us into a position where we could exploit that chance.

If that ain't an attractive proposition, don't forget that it's also plus a very, very big amount of money. He'd be crazy to not come if we were sniffing around him and he wanted to come to Premier League.

The CL is a strange competition with strange results. You have a mixture of the very best teams in Europe and teams that are no more than cannon fodder. The big teams (depending on the quality of the group) really don't have to get serious until now.

Fonseca has done well with a team from a weaker league but coming and managing in the premiership is a totally different challenge... and a very risky proposition from our point of view.
After two disappointing appointments I think the next(whenever that will be) will be with a more proven manager or a different managerial structure.
I keep seeing that last line bandied about and my simple question is: Ok, "proven" manager. Whom?

We don't have the draw of trophies or chance to win the league. Who is "proven" that is going to come here?

I keep seeing that last line bandied about and my simple question is: Ok, "proven" manager. Whom?

We don't have the draw of trophies or chance to win the league. Who is "proven" that is going to come here?

Some one after a pay day and or looking to put themselves in the shop window.

Fonseca ticks all those boxes.

Some one after a pay day and or looking to put themselves in the shop window.

Fonseca ticks all those boxes.
Fonseca, imo, is one of the managers who COULD get us to the next level. Rather have that then Fat Arse Sam "we need to admit we are in a relegation battle" before the ball is kicked next season or any of the multitude of "also-rans" that never accomplish anything in the Premier League.

Plus he's devilishly handsome.

Fonseca, imo, is one of the managers who COULD get us to the next level. Rather have that then Fat Arse Sam "we need to admit we are in a relegation battle" before the ball is kicked next season or any of the multitude of "also-rans" that never accomplish anything in the Premier League.

Plus he's devilishly handsome.
He`s not going straight into one of the top jobs in footy, so why not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.