2017/18 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defensively yes, but he cleared it long every time, and his kicks were woeful, most of them ended up over the touchline or in the arms of Mignolet.

Agreed mate I mentioned it before I thought he was a little too quick off the mark and just needed to slow down a touch.

Bonus though at least his crap kicks got us 70 yards away from our goal!

His kicks are starting to piss me off... giving the ball away by literally kicking it the the opposition keeper is not acceptable... just because you can kick the ball 70 yards doesn't mean you have to do it every time

His kicks are starting to piss me off... giving the ball away by literally kicking it the the opposition keeper is not acceptable... just because you can kick the ball 70 yards doesn't mean you have to do it every time

Do you think he is kicking it long because he can or because he has been told to?

Who could possibly have told him to?

Besides, until we have built up our teamwork, what alternative is there?

His kicks can piss me off all day long as long as he is in goal. Most goalies punts are just that anyway. Very very rarely would a keepers punt find the feet of a player on the same team. He is a cracking keeper and has an air of authority about him.

Do you think he is kicking it long because he can or because he has been told to?

Who could possibly have told him to?

Besides, until we have built up our teamwork, what alternative is there?
Putting a bit of angle on it would help though. Kicking the ball straight down the middle of the pitch absolutely nowhere near any of our players is not particularly helpful.

Other than distribution I thought he was good yesterday though. Kept his concentration and had safe hands.

I’m just glad he can save shots I really don’t care where he kicks it to.
I do. Kicking the ball is a pretty important of football in my humble opinion, and you're going to have to make a hell of a lot more saves if you give the ball straight back to the opposition every time you kick it. I'm not sure what it is about Pickford that makes people bristle every time there's a hint of criticism but there's plenty for him to work on to be the goalkeeper we want him to be.

He needs to kick the ball so that it is landing before it gets to DCL. When its sailing over the top we don't have the runners to move on to it.

Other than that though, he looks a real acquisition doesn't he? Superb handling yesterday keeping the defence calm.

I do. Kicking the ball is a pretty important of football in my humble opinion, and you're going to have to make a hell of a lot more saves if you give the ball straight back to the opposition every time you kick it. I'm not sure what it is about Pickford that makes people bristle every time there's a hint of criticism but there's plenty for him to work on to be the goalkeeper we want him to be.

I'm not bristling, his kicking was poor yesterday, but they only had 3 shots on target so I couldn't care less. It's not like his kicks are always bad, is it?

Unless we play it from the back then all goalies punts are exactly that...a punt. They are not passes but just punted into a generally packed area

Agreed mate I mentioned it before I thought he was a little too quick off the mark and just needed to slow down a touch.

Bonus though at least his crap kicks got us 70 yards away from our goal!

I was thinking the same at first, but then you could see what they were trying to do is get DCL or sometimes Lennon up against their 2 centre backs as the rs bomb everyone on, and their centre backs aren't the quickest. It was a definite plan that I think we'd worked on to try and get a break away on the counter. It didn't come from Pickford in the end, but a Rooney long diagonal ball to get DCL away got us the penalty.

Pickford taking his time would have just played in to their hands as they got man back in to position.

I was thinking the same at first, but then you could see what they were trying to do is get DCL or sometimes Lennon up against their 2 centre backs as the rs bomb everyone on, and their centre backs aren't the quickest. It was a definite plan that I think we'd worked on to try and get a break away on the counter. It didn't come from Pickford in the end, but a Rooney long diagonal ball to get DCL away got us the penalty.

Pickford taking his time would have just played in to their hands as they got man back in to position.

I think he's done it a few games mate and i think he just has to choose when to do it and when not to. Lyon away and Saints away are 2 games which stick out where he was too keen to get us moving up the pitch but we had no shape so the ball just came back and it just increases pressure.

I love him thoigh mate, it' something I want him to keep trying and the more experience he gets the more he will start picking and choosing when to release it quick or when to slow the pace of the game down and wait for the team to get their shape again.

I'm not bristling, his kicking was poor yesterday, but they only had 3 shots on target so I couldn't care less. It's not like his kicks are always bad, is it?

Unless we play it from the back then all goalies punts are exactly that...a punt. They are not passes but just punted into a generally packed area
But saying you couldn't care less what a keeper kicks like suggests your opinion wouldn't change even if he did kick like that every game, which is what I was replying to. If you've changed your mind then fair enough, I agree.

Yes I don't expect keepers to pick people out with pinpoint accuracy, but finding touch or the opposition keeper with great regularity as he did yesterday is disappointing.

As I've already said, it's a minor gripe with what was an otherwise good performance, I just think it's worth commenting on.

His "distribution" was terrible. Almost nothing he did came off, and since he touched the ball more than any other Everton player, that's really bad.

Our hold-up play was equally as bad.

End of the day, he wasn't called upon to make a save apart from the Coutinho one at the end.

He took charge when required and constantly communicated with the defence as always. Could do nothing for their goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.