2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I agree, he was shocking this season.

But my whole point is that after his first 18 games (which he had a tough run as did Dyche this season), he had achieved remarkably close to Dyche and lots (myself included) were saying we should keep him and based off his record, would be looking at finishing around 12-14th.

Based off that, and what subsequently happened is why I’m not jumping on the bandwagon that Dyche is going to take us to new heights. Not saying we should sack him, I’m just not fully convinced we won’t be back to scrapping the last few games again next season.
Nothing wrong with saying lampard deserved his shot, he did. I would however say there is a much greater body of work to show Dyche is a better manager than lampard.

But my whole point is that after his first 18 games (which he had a tough run as did Dyche this season), he had achieved remarkably close to Dyche and lots (myself included) were saying we should keep him and based off his record, would be looking at finishing around 12-14th.

Based off that, and what subsequently happened is why I’m not jumping on the bandwagon that Dyche is going to take us to new heights. Not saying we should sack him, I’m just not fully convinced we won’t be back to scrapping the last few games again next season.
We would have been relegated mate if we’d kept Lampard. Nice bloke, thought highly of the club and the fanbase but a terrible manager. Dyche managed 1.16 points per game compared to 0.75 under Lampard with a squad that had no Gordon.

Nothing wrong with saying lampard deserved his shot, he did. I would however say there is a much greater body of work to show Dyche is a better manager than lampard.
There is, but I also think we need to temper expectations a little. I expect a big sale (Pickford or onana) and then we need a lot of players coming in. So he will also need backed by the board or he is destined to fail.

Hoping he does achieve it, just don’t want to get ahead of ourselves and have another big crash back down to earth.

Nobody can be sure we won't be in another relegation scrap,Dyche at least deserves this window and the first half season at the very minimum. Just crossing my fingers that the fixture list is kind.

I get that but I think the difference is that, with the squad he had then, Lampard should have got us higher than he did. With the squad Dyche had this last half season, it’s a miracle we’re still in the Premier League.

I’ve no idea where Dyche will take us but, as a minimum, he’s going to have the squad fitter, playing the full 90 minutes, and fighting as a team on the pitch, which is something Lampard had no idea how to do.

If he gets us comfortably mid-table this season, he deserves more time. If he can’t get us above that, after a couple of seasons and reasonable transfer windows, then we move for someone else but, hopefully, in a better, more stable position to attract a better quality manager.

And, if we bring in better players this summer but we’re still in the bottom three by the end of November, we bin him. He should get our support all the time he’s moving us in the right direction but we shouldn’t be sentimental. We’ve had decades of that sh1te from Billy Boy.

Although all of this is pointless without board change, obviously.

Games Won - 15pts
Arsenal Home,
Leeds Home,
Brentford Home,
Brighton Away
Bournemouth Home

Games Drawn - 6pts
Nottingham Forest Away
Chelsea Away
Tottenham Home
Crystal Palace Away
Leicester Away
Wolves Away

Games Lost
Liverpool Away
Aston Villa Home
Arsenal Away
Man Utd Away
Fulham Home
Newcastle Home
Man City Home

The disappointing ones there for me is Aston Villa and Fulham. Aston Villa the consensus was we played well but didn't take our chances. Fulham was just all round terrible. But then, beating Arsenal, Brentford and Brighton made up for it.

Given our long term form - I'm talking a good 2 years before hand - since that Christmas under Ancelotti - I think all considered, Dyche keeping us up is the biggest individual managerial achievement since Moyes took us to 4th.

The games when we really did well - like Arsenal, like Brighton away - we had an actual number 9 in Calvert-Lewin upfront.

The club need an attack otherwise we're fighting relegation under any manager.

I think we need to accept that not being relegated is what the aim is until the new stadium is built/we have competent professionals running the club.

I'm going to copy and paste it again;

Appointed here;

skysports-everton-dyche-premier-league_6038394.jpg

With Arsenal x2, Liverpool A within the first 5 games.

Without a striker.

Go through the team and count the players career goals.

There isn't goals in this team.

Go through the team and count assists/chance creation.

There isn't assists in this team.

Why would players who have never scored goals or created them on a regular basis suddenly start?

He joined a team not in a bad spell, not in a blip, but a team that is, and remains no doubt relegation fodder;

ab1c8879-be70-4d77-8aaf-03c60b3aaf78-jpeg.201231

Still not sure Dyche is the man to take us forward, but we’re not exactly an attractive proposition at the moment. However he at least deserves a transfer window to improve the squad and the style of football.
The only real style of football that matters is the winning style. I'm not too bothered about seeing anything other than maximum effort and some organisation, both of which Dyche has brought. Excited to see what he does with a few new additions to the squad, particularly with some new attacking options.

Status
Not open for further replies.