Old Everton Pictures

View attachment 193771
Gordon Lee - pictured here c. 1962 - had six seasons as a first team player at Aston Villa, followed by a brief spell at Shrewsbury. He then embarked on a managerial career which brought him to Everton in the 1976/77 season.
Hindsight is a marvellous thing, but looking back he was a good manager for us and with a better rub of the green could have landed us a trophy.

Definitely could have won the league in 77/78 only for faltering at the end. 22 games unbeaten in all competitions until 2-6 v the Mancs on St Stephen's Day.
Went to that game still half tanked up from Chrissie Day expecting us to turn over a very average Utd. They gave a debute to a kid Andy Ritchie and he bossed us good style.
On a tangent my first son was born a couple of weeks later and I named him Lee after our manager.

I was at all the games at Goodison and managed to get a ticket for the final.
I saw all the games at Goodison as well Brian, but, I'm afraid I had to watch the final on tv. Always felt privileged to have watched all those great players at Goodison, but, a trip to London for the final after having been there to watch us in the cup final against Wednesday, well the money just wouldn't have been there. I bet you still remember very minute of that world cup final to this day mate.

I saw all the games at Goodison as well Brian, but, I'm afraid I had to watch the final on tv. Always felt privileged to have watched all those great players at Goodison, but, a trip to London for the final after having been there to watch us in the cup final against Wednesday, well the money just wouldn't have been there. I bet you still remember very minute of that world cup final to this day mate.
My arl fella was fuming when they switched England's semi final with Portugal to Wembley late on it should have been at Goodison.
He went to all the Goodison matches including the switched semi between West Germany and Russia.

My arl fella was fuming when they switched England's semi final with Portugal to Wembley late on it should have been at Goodison.
He went to all the Goodison matches including the switched semi between West Germany and Russia.
Is correct mate, we thought we were getting England v Portugal, but, surprise surprise, the F.A. switched the ties so that England could play at Wembley.

Wembley the month before was more memorable !