2022/23 Idrissa Gana Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mad thing is, he hasn't even changed. He's not slower, his positional sense and decision making are still the same, his passing hasnt got less accurate, he doesnt take longer on the ball, the game hasn't evolved in the 3 years he's gone.

He has been and always will be a bang avergae player, with an exceptional workrate and a good engine who is mostly resilient. He is the epitome of a stats player, built up by our fans to be a world beater based on the fact he always had the most tackles and interceptions, without ever asking why he had to have the most tackles and interceptions (hint, its usually because he was the last of our players to have the ball).

The reality is, he was never even as good as James McCarthy except for his injury record, but i fully expect that will be laughed off as nonsense.

Despite appearing to be 1 of his biggest detractors in his 1st spell, i never hated him, i was just bewildered by the "emperors new clothes" of it all, when people were telling me he was amazing as i was constantly watching him dwell on the ball and turn over posession. With him rarely adding anything going the other way, i just couldnt understand the plaudits.

I also wasn't 100% against us resigning him, because our midfield has been largely atrocious and he would have to spectacular to be less effective than Delph and Gbamin.

But the same plaudits were wheeled out almost instantly, despite the same falws being evident.

His role should be that of destroyer against teams we expect to be on the back foot against, extra protection against the De Bruynes of the world etc.

I would be looking at getting an understanding between Garner and Onana, as that is the future. Gana can take the place of 1 of the ineffective wingers when we play top teams or come in when we have injuries.

People being harsh on him I think. He’s been pretty decent in the main, and one of the reasons we look more solid.
He’s getting stick though because our dismal attacking players are losing us games.
We've conceded the most shots in the league.

Yeah the goals against number has definitely improved but I think we're burying our head in the sand a bit if we think we're now a solid team.

There are massive problems in how Lampard is setting up our midfield. He should be getting a much better tune out of them 3 than he is.

Gueye is not a bad player, but he's being exposed as Onana and Iwobi aren't working as a unit with him.

We do lack talent in attacking areas but a properly functioning midfield and fullbacks that can actually support the play would see our attacking output increase massively.

People being harsh on him I think. He’s been pretty decent in the main, and one of the reasons we look more solid.
He’s getting stick though because our dismal attacking players are losing us games.
I did say before we signed him that he wouldnt help us win football games.

People laughed.

Hes not a bad player, but he cant win football games on his own.

The reality is, he was never even as good as James McCarthy except for his injury record, but i fully expect that will be laughed off as nonsense.
Oh go on then... McCarthy had one good season for us, who was he in a side with exactly...

He’s had a couple poor games to be fair. But yes, when things go wrong, it’s always everyone’s fault.

He’s being asked to do too much. He is brilliant at stopping attacks, nicking the ball and giving it to better players. I don’t think he is capable of being that player who starts attacks and move the ball effectively.

He’s being asked to do too much. He is brilliant at stopping attacks, nicking the ball and giving it to better players. I don’t think he is capable of being that player who starts attacks and move the ball effectively.
Indeed, needs those better players doesn't he...

Agree with this, I’m sure it’s no coincidence that his worst came has come when Pnana was moved further forwards. Instead of doing what he does best, ie intercept, win the ball back and give it to someone to progress, he’s having to start moves too. Not sure when that was ever a strong point of his.

Oh go on then... McCarthy had one good season for us, who was he in a side with exactly...
Well i guess its personal preference isnt it. Id choose a fully fit, prike James McCarthy over Gueye. You are welcome to disagree.

The injuries he had, most of which seemed to happen on international duty, as well as that 1 horrendous leg break, shortened his prime considerably.

But he has never been anywhere near as fashionable as Gueye has been. But that 1st year he was outstanding, and far more consistent/effective than Gueye has ever been.

Status
Not open for further replies.