2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I want every Everton manager to succeed and end our trophy drought. But I’d really love it to be with Lampard. He has fully embraced being the manager of our club. He conducts himself with class and dignity (like every Everton manager should) but has arguably his biggest quality is repairing the relationship between the fans and the players. He has put together a team who look like playing for the club and the shirt means something, as opposed to only caring about their pay packets.

Bumps in the road indeed

Some fans where calling for the managers head at those clubs early doors.

Giving them the time & backing worked in buckets.
We've got to be careful to not get carried away as it's early days, and we've been in this situation before - lots of enthusiasm and hope, which eventually burst.

However, the point of giving time and backing appears to be reaping its reward: he united the fans; he saved us from relegation; we're building a squad.

He may or may not be our saviour, who knows, but right now things feel like they're going in the right direction with a mentality of walking before we can run.

I like Lampard, his coaching staff and Thelwell with their measured approach.

We've got to be careful to not get carried away as it's early days, and we've been in this situation before - lots of enthusiasm and hope, which eventually burst.

However, the point of giving time and backing appears to be reaping its reward: he united the fans; he saved us from relegation; we're building a squad.

He may or may not be our saviour, who knows, but right now things feel like they're going in the right direction with a mentality of walking before we can run.

I like Lampard, his coaching staff and Thelwell with their measured approach.
We have a spine now, in every sense of the word.

Yes to all of that, and by the way, haven't even thought about Mina since his most recent injury. Give me a solid, reliable, non-dancing, non-jokester centre back over a injury-ridden cart horse any day of the week.
Absolutely. I said last year that we need to get rid of Mina. He could not be relied on. Some said we should use him on the odd guest appearance that he deigned to make, but that would mean breaking up a regular pairing who would lose out on the chance to further solidify their relationship. Nah, Mina, Keane, Holgate, and Godfrey have been huge reasons for our abject results in recent seasons. Either they cause calamity or can't stay fit for five games. We don't need them - unless others are out (and even then I reckon we need to do better).

Absolutely. I said last year that we need to get rid of Mina. He could not be relied on. Some said we should use him on the odd guest appearance that he deigned to make, but that would mean breaking up a regular pairing who would lose out on the chance to further solidify their relationship. Nah, Mina, Keane, Holgate, and Godfrey have been huge reasons for our abject results in recent seasons. Either they cause calamity or can't stay fit for five games. We don't need them - unless others are out (and even then I reckon we need to do better).
I think it's true, but I wouldn't like to get rid off Godfrey easily, think he can be very, very good player, he just need opposite of what have you written...

Agree and for me, what I think will give Lampard the edge will be his coaching team. They all seem to have bought into the club and are well respected by the players. Ashley Cole always looks like he is kicking every ball and smiling from ahole to breakfast when we win.

Think Cole is an absolutely huge influence - looks to be the one passing on tactical stuff to players as well during games.

That's got to be the platform. If he gets us back to that he's done a great job.

Totally agree mate, being solid and not giving goals away goes a long way in this league.

For as much as Sky bang on about it being the best league, I think it’s pretty poor beyond the top few and you don’t need much quality to be competing for Europe

Barring a disaster with injuries, I`d think Mina will go in January.

He`s just on too much money and too injury prone. ( as much as I like him )

Barring a disaster with injuries, I`d think Mina will go in January.

He`s just on too much money and too injury prone. ( as much as I like him )
If he goes it will more than likely be a loan. I doubt anyone will want to offer a substantial fee when he can leave for free in June.

If Godfrey and Holgate are fit after the WC, then he is definitely surplus to requirements.

Scary thing is come the end of the season we may be really kicking ourselves at dropping points in those first 5 and not out of relegation worries either but at the other end
To be fair, I think realistically we don’t have the attack to be pushing Europe this season (unless some players find some magic form / we make a unreal purchase in January). I reckon the long term plan is to consolidate this season, then push for top 7 next season

The dude understands football mate, his recruitment bar McNeill is very good, right blend of combos youth and experience, in the right areas, football 101, get solid and and play the margins. Box ticked.

Coaching Wise he’s improved a lot of the players, how he turned Iwobi into a player is staggering, young Flash has kicked on and almost everyone else.

Man management, the team has desire and wants to play for him, we haven’t had that since Bobertos first season. He’s won the crowd over as well and everyone is pulling in the same direction.

To my mind, its the manager peice, recognising when the game needs an intervention, when you need to change to control a game and when you need to take the sting out of it to get a result. He seems to keep the foot on the throttle or over trusts players when a change seems it would change the dynamic.

We won the game today by luck and the seat of our pants, we lost control of the game after the second goal, other teams won’t be so kind. His approach will I think prove to be a bit boom and bust as we go on, just my take and all that said it’s part of his development.

Today is an example we lost control of the game after the second goal, much could have been done from the bench to regain a foot hold, thats the area he needs to improve. Say it was Moyes we know what he would have done. Another day against different opposition, we loose or draw today given how the game unfolded.

Also agree we need a central playmaker or really any playmaker who can mix it up, we weren’t going to do all in one window and Garner may be that solider also, so it’s not a dead Mouse I’d leave at his door just yet. But what we do will be worked out in short order and going direct or banging in crosses will get you so far only as teams work us out and adjust.

Tbh all good points mate, but I'll add that he's still evolving imo as a manager, think when he arrived and look at how far he's already progressed in terms of flexibility, and I see that being a continuing trend.

As a player he got the very most out of his talent by working constantly to improve and learn, I see that character trait in his managerial career too.

Think we've hit the mother load in terms of getting the perfect manager for the club

7 games until the World Cup, think we should be aiming for 5 wins or 4 wins a draw, that’ll set us up nicely going into the restart of the season after Christmas. Next 3 are gonna be very tough games so if we came out with nothing our heads shouldn’t be falling off as long as we win the ones after which aren’t the worst fixtures in a stretch.

3 points against United, Spurs and Newcastle would do me realistically and wins in the easier fixtures after it. Would logically leave us probably around 25 points after 15 games which over a season is probably 60+ points, wouldn’t be too shabby and not beyond possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.