New Everton Stadium Discussion

Club have received a takeover bid this week.

doubt-press-x.gif

I'm not sure if there are any rules regarding playing under a closed roof. I know there are several covered stadia in Europe and worldwide that do play with the roof closed and I think the next generation or phase of redevelopment will see more of these in the UK.

Bilbao's San Mames stadium is quite similar in scale to BMD and they had to extend their roof above the pitch slightly. Fans have higher expectations nowadays, especially at modern ticket prices and cost of new stadia. I think there'd be a similar sentiment at BMD.
Yeah, I know what you mean about Bilbao. I wasn't aware that this was the reason they changed the roof. It actually covers the periphery of the pitch now.

I'm not aware of any existing EPL rules either, but I'd imagine they would put them in place to prevent any team getting an advantage of always playing in controlled conditions. I know in the Six Nations, both teams have to agree to close the roof. Sometimes, the opposition has objected.

Surely with the build progressing day-by-day, Moshiri is in a better position to secure commercial funding for the remainder.

I've read that he has personally committed to funding until the end of 2023, so even if there is a funding gap after that, there would be enough confidence generated, and indeed enthusiasm in the market to get the remaining funding? Either that, or he plugs the gap through selling a minority interest?

I would never take anything for granted with Everton but surely there is some plan either to secure the funding eventually or to resort to Plan B if that doesn't materialise. I can't see Moshiri selling anything other than a minority stake until the build is fully completed.

Yeah, I know what you mean about Bilbao. I wasn't aware that this was the reason they changed the roof. It actually covers the periphery of the pitch now.

I'm not aware of any existing EPL rules either, but I'd imagine they would put them in place to prevent any team getting an advantage of always playing in controlled conditions. I know in the Six Nations, both teams have to agree to close the roof. Sometimes, the opposition has objected.

Yes, I think the bottom 7-10k regularly got a good soaking when it rained and would retreat to the concourses. They received a lot of complaints from disgruntled fans. Standing in the rain isn't great but sitting in it is horrendous. The other similarity is that Bilbao is also a riverfront stadium.

Of course in the days of ordinary terraces most stands had a standing paddock at the front. Front sections always have limited protection and when designing the roof, they draw a line a few degrees off the vertical from the front edge of the roof. Traditionally, it would've usually been terraced upto that line. At Goodison the roof of the mainstand side slopes downwards. The result is that the front edge is far lower than at BMD.... and we know that people in the enclosure can also get a soaking on occasion.

They were looking at retrofitting a closing roof at Bilbao, but think it was cost prohibitive. The modification came only a few years after its inauguration and I think it has been quiet effective in terms of improved comfort and atmosphere. Interesting point about needing permission from opposition teans.... I would've thought clubs could make the argument about the comfort of their paying customers. A Bilbao type solution may kill two birds.

Surely with the build progressing day-by-day, Moshiri is in a better position to secure commercial funding for the remainder.

I've read that he has personally committed to funding until the end of 2023, so even if there is a funding gap after that, there would be enough confidence generated, and indeed enthusiasm in the market to get the remaining funding? Either that, or he plugs the gap through selling a minority interest?

I would never take anything for granted with Everton but surely there is some plan either to secure the funding eventually or to resort to Plan B if that doesn't materialise. I can't see Moshiri selling anything other than a minority stake until the build is fully completed.
Why? If an incoming bid gets a lot nearer to his valuation of the club what would persuade him to remain?