Stanley Mills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who've tracked him, how far off is this lad?

If that Patterson injury is months then Coleman needs a back up on the bench. He'll obvioulsy be called up to the bench?

…I put him up as ‘one to watch’ 18 months ago. I also predicted his switch from winger to full-back, I’m claiming a bit of foresight on this one, funny when the club actually switched him.

Regarding your question; I say virtually everything you predicted and got wrong about Patterson could actually be accurate about Stan Mills.

As a youth player he just had something about him, but his quality wasn’t stand out as a winger, especially compared to the likes of Gordon. Powerful runner, decent size, decent athleticism, very good attitude like his Dad, I just wondered if he would have a chance if he dropped to FB.

Watched him late last season playing as a conventional FB and he was all over the place but I’m a believer in defenders learning. He would be high risk at the moment as a RB but less risk as a RWB.

A possible for the future. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Those who've tracked him, how far off is this lad?

If that Patterson injury is months then Coleman needs a back up on the bench. He'll obvioulsy be called up to the bench?
He played a couple of games as a right back for the U23s last season but struggled. Quickly reverted to playing wide right. where he was our most improved player at that level last season but he's always had an eye for a goal, even before that.

He apparently played wing-back pre-season and appears to have impressed Lampard, so yes he might well be called up to the bench, but I don't want him stuck in that no-man's land of getting no game time in the 1st team and not playing for the U23s. At his age he needs to be playing games.

He played a couple of games as a right back for the U23s last season but struggled. Quickly reverted to playing wide right. where he was our most improved player at that level last season but he's always had an eye for a goal, even before that.

He apparently played wing-back pre-season and appears to have impressed Lampard, so yes he might well be called up to the bench, but I don't want him stuck in that no-man's land of getting no game time in the 1st team and not playing for the U23s. At his age he needs to be playing games.
I dont see us reverting to 3 at the back anytime soon so we'll need a more conventional FB. If that isn't Mills then so be it.

I argued all through the end of last season to the summer that we really needed a RB brought in. I think that's right. Coleman will do his best but I doubt he'll be up to it game in, game out.

…I put him up as ‘one to watch’ 18 months ago. I also predicted his switch from winger to full-back, I’m claiming a bit of foresight on this one, funny when the club actually switched him.

Regarding your question; I say virtually everything you predicted and got wrong about Patterson could actually be accurate about Stan Mills.

As a youth player he just had something about him, but his quality wasn’t stand out as a winger, especially compared to the likes of Gordon. Powerful runner, decent size, decent athleticism, very good attitude like his Dad, I just wondered if he would have a chance if he dropped to FB.

Watched him late last season playing as a conventional FB and he was all over the place but I’m a believer in defenders learning. He would be high risk at the moment as a RB but less risk as a RWB.

A possible for the future. Just my opinion of course.
I'd have him on the bench before McNeil given all I've heard so far.

Someone once said “ Stanley Mills ? sounds like a tourist attraction.” I think it was in the original thread. Any way, a few months ago I saw this sign , passed it again yesterday so got Mrs blueloon to take a photo as we sped by .

Attachments

• 36B7E294-CEFF-4BEB-B063-D31D2025A142.jpeg
    36B7E294-CEFF-4BEB-B063-D31D2025A142.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 121

…mmmm, I think both will be on the bench now.

Who plays depends lots on whether the injury to Patterson means reverting to 3 CBs. McNeil was terrific at Leeds & I thought impressive at Brentford. I wouldn’t be putting young Mills ahead of him at this point, despite me thinking he could be one for the future.

Personally, I think Coleman coming in as a straight replacement in a back four should be adequate. Hopefully Patterson isn’t as bad as some fear.

And that’s the dilemma. He got about 15 mins off the bench against Fleetwood, then was an unused sub in the next 3 PL games , Brenford, Leeds, RS, and didn’t get any game time . So he went back to the u21s , scored goals made goals and looks a cracker at this level playing right sided attacker/ midfield. He’s signed a 3 year deal recently but at 18 he needs game time to help his development.

Not sure he’ll get away with being called Stanley and playing at Bramley Moore, he’ll have to change his name :D

But looks a great prospect and can see FL giving him a chance if Patterson is out for a while.

And that’s the dilemma. He got about 15 mins off the bench against Fleetwood, then was an unused sub in the next 3 PL games , Brenford, Leeds, RS, and didn’t get any game time . So he went back to the u21s , scored goals made goals and looks a cracker at this level playing right sided attacker/ midfield. He’s signed a 3 year deal recently but at 18 he needs game time to help his development.
I wonder if the LC tie against Bournemouth could be used to aid that? It's a pity it's not a home tie aginst weaker (non-PL) opponents

I wonder if the LC tie against Bournemouth could be used to aid that? It's a pity it's not a home tie aginst weaker (non-PL) opponents
That's a possibility but my feeling is that unless injuries, such as we have now with Patterson, keep him in the 1st team picture he will be sent out on loan in January to give him challenging game time, as happened with Warrington last season.

He's already shown he's outgrown the U23s so I imagine the club, perhaps Vaughan in his new role, will be looking for a suitable team where his development will be enhanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.