2022/23 Idrissa Gana Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still worry about Gana on the ball. It was only last game that he mis controlled a pass to him, lost the ball and Benrahma hit the post. We were an inch away from Gueye undoing all of the team’s work through a bit of sloppy play.

I think all the midfield three are too sloppy on the ball. Gueye has got better than I remember him being but I’d still like to see him Iwobi and Onana cut more of the sloppy loose balls out.
Is he better on the ball than you remember, or does he just have better movement off it? As opposed to sharing a midfield with two statues in Schneiderlin and Gylfi?

Is he better on the ball than you remember, or does he just have better movement off it? As opposed to sharing a midfield with two statues in Schneiderlin and Gylfi?
You have a point there. I think he is just the same....he has always seeked the ball and doesn't hide. He is a good protector of the ball and if movement of other players is good then Gana is in his element. Type of player all teams need and we have missed his type

Shrewd addition. Looks like there’s still gas in the tank and legs which was the main concern bringing back a 32/33 year old. Looks a bit more composed on the ball as well.

Big difference with him and Onana, much less pressure on the defence, actually getting some protection makes it so much easier as a defender. Just have to look at how Liverpool’s much hyped defenders are struggling with their weakened midfield in front of them to see how important it is.

I remember him being quite conservative on the ball (which is probably a result of having statues next to him not giving him options). There were quite a few times on Saturday though all of the midfield three took every safe options and it one of the few times we actually had a bit of bravery on the ball and moved it quickly through the lines we scored.

Hopefully they all start getting a bit more confidence as they gel together and play forward a bit more.

Shrewd addition. Looks like there’s still gas in the tank and legs which was the main concern bringing back a 32/33 year old. Looks a bit more composed on the ball as well.

Big difference with him and Onana, much less pressure on the defence, actually getting some protection makes it so much easier as a defender. Just have to look at how Liverpool’s much hyped defenders are struggling with their weakened midfield in front of them to see how important it is.
Yes, the fact that we have options in his position, not as reliant as before, means we could potentially get 3 or 4 years more out him.
And his experience is now an important asset for Onana and Garner to feed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.