2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinion is split on Lampard, for me though I think we have a manager at last. Thought about Lampard, must admit concerned when Chelsea sacked Tuchel but thank good ness they signed up on Potter.

I have faith in him and can see what his project and plan are, it will take time but to me he seems to mirror ambition on what Chelsea were like when he was playing for them.. To me at last we have a manager and what he is doing takes me back to Howard Kendall and the team that he built. I think Frank is firmly embedded in our club and will be with us for some years barring getting sacked if matters go pear shaped but me thinks unlikely.

Conceding 66 corners in just 7 matches is evidence that we are not stopping opposition attacks enough in midfield.

Yes the defence has improved greatly DG, but Frank has to make our midfield press much more, and snuff out attacks 30-50 yards from our goal.

Reactions: JLW
If whe can be between 11-14 place this season i already looking very much forward to next seson. To new fowards in, they are allredy identified, Kudos and the young ukrainian lad.
Townsend and Rondon out of contract.

Midfield nothing needs to be done, Doucoure one year extension to get stability and Allan out contract.

Center backs , Cody inn on 3 year contract, Brantwaite back from loan. Mina is out of contract , sell one off Keane, Holgate or Godfrey.

Coleman out of contract, so need a player her, Vinagre has all seson to show if they think he is gonna be good or not.
Then I think we easy Will have a team good enough to fight for european places next season
Think Modryk (the 'young Ukrainian lad') may be out of our League by then. Suspect he may have his choice of European clubs by the end of the season if he continues to perform as he has.

Kudus is a possibility but there are things about him ie. temperament and injury prone which causes me concern.

However, I believe as a club we were amongst the first to recognise both as potential targets and as a previous poster has already said this bodes well for future acquisitions. Maybe our scouting system is finally beginning to gel under Kevin Thelwell's tutelage.

Conceding 66 corners in just 7 matches is evidence that we are not stopping opposition attacks enough in midfield.

Yes the defence has improved greatly DG, but Frank has to make our midfield press much more, and snuff out attacks 30-50 yards from our goal.
Maybe a bit more composure in the defending rather than lash it anywhere, look we can’t have it all we’re improving and that will do for me for now.

Opinion is split on Lampard, for me though I think we have a manager at last. Thought about Lampard, must admit concerned when Chelsea sacked Tuchel but thank good ness they signed up on Potter.

I have faith in him and can see what his project and plan are, it will take time but to me he seems to mirror ambition on what Chelsea were like when he was playing for them.. To me at last we have a manager and what he is doing takes me back to Howard Kendall and the team that he built. I think Frank is firmly embedded in our club and will be with us for some years barring getting sacked if matters go pear shaped but me thinks unlikely.

The thing that gives me confidence in Frank is listening to him on the High performance podcast. I recently had a bit of time on my hands and listened to his initial appearance on the podcast from about 3 years ago when he was at Chelsea and his follow up during the post season this year.

Have to say he comes across as a guy that has learned and evolved massively from one podcast to another and I think that is all you can ask of a manager at his stage. He has surrounded himself with top coaches and brains who can guide him on various things but he seems like an intelligent guy that gets the players perspective (which is huge in modern football) and he is working on himself as much as others around him.

If I had one criticism so far it would be the tactical subs but I think his in game management will improve as he knows more about our squad and more about what each player can bring us from the start or off the bench

He’s doing well. Apart from DCL and Pickford, would our other injured players get back in the side ? The team has moved on, we have a defence, we have a midfield and will soon have an attack……

Might have been mentioned already but I just read there, on the back of us keeping consecutive clean sheets, that last season we kept no back to back clean sheets. It's the improvements like this that will hopefully keep us away from any trouble down the bottom of the table.

It’s more to do with when we concede a corner. We defend that one by heading it out for another corner. I’ve seen on 2 occasions we have conceded 4-5 corners in a row. Now regards less of how better we are at defending corners and free kicks, that amount will catch up sooner rather than later. However I faith as frank in his post match interviewed said, that Ashley Cole deserves credit as he is now responsible for them. However we also need to improve on not giving so many corners away as when we give 1 away we have to give 4 away. So he is aware of it so that’s good.

Does it matter if we concede corners if we defend them like iron? It's hard to say if we're just getting lucky on the sample size, or if we're simply an unusually well-organized and disciplined defense against set pieces.

I don't think it's realistic to expect that we're going to completely boss midfield with Iwobi, Gana and a 21-year-old starter in Onana. Official league stats from the website show that Chelsea earned sixteen with Jorginho and Kante (with no Gana and Onana not even yet a thought), West Ham earned 14 with Rice and Soucek, Liverpool earned nine and Villa earned eight. The remaining three fixtures, against midfields we should boss (even without Gana) resulted in nine corners total.

That's a total of 56 by my count, by the way. It's high by league standards, but it boils down to us having two big outlier games against strong midfields, and in one of them we sat back and defended for our lives all game with no recognized striker on the pitch. As we start playing more of the weaker midfields, the average rate at which we have conceded corners should start to decline.

In Coady and Tarks we have 2 kinda old school defenders.

As a lad you are taught to get rid, I think thats a factor, im sure they are both telling people to just get rid, hence the rise in conceded corners.

As long as we continue to defend them, its not an issue.

In Coady and Tarks we have 2 kinda old school defenders.

As a lad you are taught to get rid, I think thats a factor, im sure they are both telling people to just get rid, hence the rise in conceded corners.

As long as we continue to defend them, its not an issue.

Coady is better on the ball than any centre back we’ve had since Stones by an order or magnitude.

The Wolves fans said he had a mean cross field ball on him, but they also said he couldnt play in a 4.

To think they binned him off for that fat waster Collins.
Funny thing is, what will get Lage binned off is the problems at the other end, if he can't correct them.

His loss is our gain, so I'm not complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.