2022/23 Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised he came on at a time we needed to keep the ball, his passing and decision making is terrible.

….I imagine Lampard wanted his running power as an additional safeguard and also to help spring as they pushed forward.

i think we know the Managers first choice central midfielders, but Doucoure is a very useful player to have access to, either off the bench or covering for injured players. Garner remains the unknown quantity, hopefully he progresses to be a shrewd bit of business.

….I imagine Lampard wanted his running power as an additional safeguard and also to help spring as they pushed forward.

i think we know the Managers first choice central midfielders, but Doucoure is a very useful player to have access to, either off the bench or covering for injured players. Garner remains the unknown quantity, hopefully he progresses to be a shrewd bit of business.

Agree mate. I don't mind Doucoure but yeah he's a squad player now. Like the running power you mention, which is by far his biggest asset, it's all well and good when you break and he makes a ridiculous pass that killed it dead.

Came on and misplaced almost every single pass as well as messing up a breakaway opportunity. Just not good enough. I also think he struggles in a three as he doesn’t seem to know who he should be closing down or when to push out. He’s better in a two but none of our other players are.
Coming off the bench I can live with him but I’d rather have seen Garner or even Allan ahead of him. Least it wasn’t Davies though.

I actually think he was brought on fir his physical presence - Size, strength and fir set piece defending ahead of either Garner or Davies mate.

Given I think Lampard rates Davies higher and when fit will rate Garner above both, I like it, it showed he's choosing players for the situation (west ham, big physical side pushing for a goal) sadly he was a bit crap after coming on - hopefully Garner plays a few full u21 games for England to get sharper.

I agree with the theory behind it; him and Onana, with the luxury of Gana as a shield, should be able to outwork most midfields and keep them on the back foot. I think the issue is that we had McNeil and Maupay (for a few mins before Rondon came on) up top when he was introduced. Too much of a gap between midfield and forwards, and not enough pace up top to link the two.

Had we been a couple up I imagine we’d have seen Garner, as he’s more likely (in theory) to pick the kind of pass that might set McNeil or Maupay away.

Came on and misplaced almost every single pass as well as messing up a breakaway opportunity. Just not good enough. I also think he struggles in a three as he doesn’t seem to know who he should be closing down or when to push out. He’s better in a two but none of our other players are.
Coming off the bench I can live with him but I’d rather have seen Garner or even Allan ahead of him. Least it wasn’t Davies though.

The signs indicate he's just not a Lampard type player, he's now the worst passer in the midfield, he also seems the least flexible in terms if role. The starting three, Davies and Garner all capable of playing a variety of tokes in cm - changing through the game too, this lad seems to need to know his role and stick to it - zero adaptability

It's indicative of how things have changed in midfield, up untill the end of last season, everybody would be down when Doucoure was out, as he was viewed as an essential part of our midfield. Now the debate is whether or not we should take up the extension and keep him as a squad player. That's how much better our midfield options are now.

I'd take up the option given the choice, if Onana is injured Doucoure can step in as a kind of poundland Onana, nowhere near as gifted, but, physically equipped to perform the same role, unfortunately at a much inferior level.

I actually think he was brought on fir his physical presence - Size, strength and fir set piece defending ahead of either Garner or Davies mate.

Given I think Lampard rates Davies higher and when fit will rate Garner above both, I like it, it showed he's choosing players for the situation (west ham, big physical side pushing for a goal) sadly he was a bit crap after coming on - hopefully Garner plays a few full u21 games for England to get sharper.

Yep I think he was brought on for his height and physical presence defensively.

That counter we had where he stuffed it up, you just gotta laugh at how bad that was lol

Status
Not open for further replies.