2022/23 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
…..he kicks the ball ‘violently’, rather than pings it sweetly. I imagine that velocity caused the thigh injury, especially if the leg was fatigued late in a game or cold if it occurred early.

Aside from the Gray assist most of his kicks lately just go straight out. Would rather he just concentrated on giving it to Coady and Tarkowski especially without a tall forward to win a header.

Aside from the Gray assist most of his kicks lately just go straight out. Would rather he just concentrated on giving it to Coady and Tarkowski especially without a tall forward to win a header.
True, but it’s the variety that keeps opposition on their toes. Coady and Tarkowski have shown they can deliver good balls, but they’d be quickly closed down if that was all we did. And the pre game analysis won’t be “ Here‘s Pickford kicking the ball straight out , don’t worry about him” they’ll show his decent passes and set up a bit more warily , just in case he catches them out.

True, but it’s the variety that keeps opposition on their toes. Coady and Tarkowski have shown they can deliver good balls, but they’d be quickly closed down if that was all we did. And the pre game analysis won’t be “ Here‘s Pickford kicking the ball straight out , don’t worry about him” they’ll show his decent passes and set up a bit more warily , just in case he catches them out.

Not every time, but most of the time. Even if it means Coady & Tarkowski get pressed, which is normal, that leaves a gap in midfield to pass to our 6. Right now we surrender possession from almost every goal kick. Although it did look a little different last match as Onana seems to be used as a target man off the left.

…..he kicks the ball ‘violently’, rather than pings it sweetly. I imagine that velocity caused the thigh injury, especially if the leg was fatigued late in a game or cold if it occurred early.
Yes. He shouldn't be doing that. No other GK I'm aware of is involved in a team to that degree. It's cost him his fitness and I expect Lampard and the GK coach to have their say in adapting his game. Needs to throw the ball out a lot more than he does too. A GK should be able to make a thrown pass 40 metres without any problem - and it's more accurate than kicking too.

?

Yes. He shouldn't be doing that. No other GK I'm aware of is involved in a team to that degree. It's cost him his fitness and I expect Lampard and the GK coach to have their say in adapting his game. Needs to throw the ball out a lot more than he does too. A GK should be able to make a thrown pass 40 metres without any problem - and it's more accurate than kicking too.

…kicking/passing is a big part of his game so I don’t see that changing at this stage.

Not sure how old you are, Dave, but your post reminded me of Gordon West who also suffered with the curse of the thigh muscle. For many years, he wore a white thigh bandage & threw the ball downfield. Defenders would take his goal kicks.

…kicking/passing is a big part of his game so I don’t see that changing at this stage.

Not sure how old you are, Dave, but your post reminded me of Gordon West who also suffered with the curse of the thigh muscle. For many years, he wore a white thigh bandage & threw the ball downfield. Defenders would take his goal kicks.
He was before my time but I remember he often threw up when he took to the pitch too.

As for Pickford: he'll have to adapt. If you start getting muscle tears doing what you do day in and day out the body demands that adaptation. I dont think he does half as much kicking for England, and it might be with the way Lampard changes the way we play we'll see less need for it anyway. Coady can go long from deep if need be, but Garner in the team will mean we have less need to rely on a long ball.

I have never been comfortable whenever he adopts the modern trend of two full backs either side and playing it out from them. Even far better sides than us come unstuck sometimes. Man City are good at it but we are not them. Imagine giving it short to Holgate or Coleman, frightening.

I have never been comfortable whenever he adopts the modern trend of two full backs either side and playing it out from them. Even far better sides than us come unstuck sometimes. Man City are good at it but we are not them. Imagine giving it short to Holgate or Coleman, frightening.

….makes me a nervous kitten. It’s a modern day trend which I think is to draw the opposition out but there is more risk than reward as far as I’m concerned. It bemused me when we had Richarlison and DCL as our strength that we didn’t get the ball to them as quickly as possible.

Not a good injury (hamstring?) this, for a keeper who relies on agility more than most. Sell next window for me if fit, will now be a risk of reoccurring. No hard feelings been a shining star, but its football.

Status
Not open for further replies.