• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's absolutely a discussion to be had about society vs the rights of an individual and I accept that Gana, in this example, has one set of beliefs because of where he's from, but lives and works in a society where there is a completely opposing set of beliefs

The issue here is that homophobia is illegal in this country. Gana may not have been outright homophobic, but as a high profile figure what he has done is a gnats wing away from it.

The day in France he refused to recognise was International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia.

The issue the lad has is that his belief system is abhorrent to western culture. It's all well and good saying that we should be the ones who should be tolerant of his position, but that's a slippery slope of an argument. What if there was a country who supported child rape or something equally horrendous? If we have a day against it here, are we really saying it's fine for a high profile individual from that country to visibly undermine it here?

End of the day, there are nuances to the argument but we've reached a point in western society where we can't tolerate this sort of thing now and as a football club we 100% can't be at the centre of it

Devils advocate here, but isn't something forcing you to accept your or anyone else's views bullying.

well if you believe a person is a lower form of life because of how they were born it should be a dirty word obviously
Not sure I called anybody "a lower form of life". Did I? I commented on the beliefs of Gana. The belief of his chosen religion.
Nothing more. Unless I came across badly, which if I did, it was unconscious and for that I will humbly apologise.

For those interested in stats.

When Gana left, he was top 5 tackler in Europe.

Last season, he was ranked 78 with 2.3 tackles pr game.

Allan was ranked 32 with 2.6 tackles per game.

Ndidi was amongst top 5 when Gana left, his ranked 6 last season.

Doucoure ranked 40, 2.5 per game.

Are you assuming my viewpoint there?

Religious beliefs are a protected characteristics aswell as sexual orientation, the man was raised in a different culture. A true Liberal would accept his views as his own and not deny him the right to work
Not assuming anything at all, just stating my own viewpoint.

Who's denying him the right to work?
I just don't want anybody with homophobic beliefs to represent the club.

Devils advocate here, but isn't something forcing you to accept your or anyone else's views bullying.
It's a debate you can have all day mate, but as I said earlier it's a slippery slope of a debate

Society say homophobia is wrong
It also says racism, paedophilia, murder, rape, burglary, etc are all wrong too

If there's a religion somewhere which says they're all fine, is it bullying to say you're wrong for following the tenets of that religion?

There's absolutely a discussion to be had about society vs the rights of an individual and I accept that Gana, in this example, has one set of beliefs because of where he's from, but lives and works in a society where there is a completely opposing set of beliefs

The issue here is that homophobia is illegal in this country. Gana may not have been outright homophobic, but as a high profile figure what he has done is a gnats wing away from it.

The day in France he refused to recognise was International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia.

The issue the lad has is that his belief system is abhorrent to western culture. It's all well and good saying that we should be the ones who should be tolerant of his position, but that's a slippery slope of an argument. What if there was a country who supported child rape or something equally horrendous? If we have a day against it here, are we really saying it's fine for a high profile individual from that country to visibly undermine it here?

End of the day, there are nuances to the argument but we've reached a point in western society where we can't tolerate this sort of thing now and as a football club we 100% can't be at the centre of it

Mate there are enough people in this country who would tell you to do one if you said 'wear this rainbow shirt' and you can't accuse them of active homophobia is they did tell you to FO.

Thats a million miles away from homophobia... conscientuiously objecting to support is not active opposition.

At the end of the day the UK is an open tolerant society, which lets people support LGBTQ++ rights but also allows freedom of religion without persecution (and therefore a section of society doesn't support LGBTQ++ community) - neither is a criminal offense.

Not sure I called anybody "a lower form of life". Did I? I commented on the beliefs of Gana. The belief of his chosen religion.
Nothing more. Unless I came across badly, which if I did, it was unconscious and for that I will humbly apologise.

i was talking about ganas beliefs not yours, the religion excuse is a nonsense and is how people have been getting away with unspeakable behaviour for centuries.

For those interested in stats.

When Gana left, he was top 5 tackler in Europe.

Last season, he was ranked 78 with 2.3 tackles pr game.

Allan was ranked 32 with 2.6 tackles per game.

Ndidi was amongst top 5 when Gana left, his ranked 6 last season.

Doucoure ranked 40, 2.5 per game.
Lucky for gana, you don't tackle much when you have messi, neyar and mbappe in your side in the farmers league

Idrissa works in a country where 13, 288, 000 of its citizens voted for a fascist a few weeks ago. He wrorks for a club owned by Qatar - not noted for its cuddly attitude to those that don't fit its picture of 'proper human'. The whole situation is riddled in irony.
I could make light of it and suggest that as we have a record of employing wife beaters and dangerous drunks, why not complete the collection by employing a homophobe but I'm better than that. Just!

Homophobic stances are not 'opinions': they are positions of bigotry which need to be challenged. The business of 'opinion' is trotted out by those whose arguments have sunk beneath the waves and are looking for an escape hatch so they don't appear to be either foolish or closeted homophobes themselves.
I've never heard the sentence, "Adolf was just being playful. He has opinions about the Jews".

Homophobia is not contingent on place of birth. They come in all shapes, sizes and colours. Those who have commented on his upbringing in Africa have very serious issues if they believe that Africans have no moral agency ... "Oh it doesn't matter, he's African. He can't help it". Ridiculous racism.

The other argument is that politics shouldn't be dragged into sport. I have to be generous and imagine that those who hold such a position don't actually know what the hell politics is.

Status
Not open for further replies.