2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we can say that.
The team is not performing well, he is still a young inexperienced lad and he needs time to settle in but young players coming into teams are given support and helped to settle... this lad is getting none of that.

In particular this is where Townsend is being missed, it is one of the things he does well.
I watched Patterson with Townsend in that Boreham Wood game: they crowded each other out. They were practically stepping on each other's toes. That was not a good example of those two working together.

We shipped 66 goals last season...our biggest Goals Against total since the 1970s. I suggest we get defenders in that back 4 who can defend efficiently. There's no room in a unit like that for this kid. None.

I didn't say it was easy. I said defending was easier to learn and coach in relative terms compared to attacking. I also said almost any competent player can learn it, not that it is achievable in 100% of cases.
Might aswell just get a right winger then like robben and make him a right back

Him and Nkounkou both look miles away from being top level full backs in the short term - I think Patterson has all the raw materials but just hasn’t played enough games in his career so far to develop them yet.

I think the likely direction of our season means Coleman or even Holgate right back would make more sense for me and send Patterson on loan for a season.
I don't know if patterson is the answer but Coleman being a regular starter isnt and definitely not holgate. Honestly I'd take the rb from Southampton we were linked with

I don't know if patterson is the answer but Coleman being a regular starter isnt and definitely not holgate. Honestly I'd take the rb from Southampton we were linked with
Yep ideally walker peters would have been a great signing - but I doubt it’s an area we have enough money to prioritise.

Mate, he's out of his depth as a defender. He just cant do it.

We have a team struggling everywhere and the belief we can put him in and 'lend him support' is for the fairies.

He needs to be out on loan. Full stop. There's no learning on the job here. We cant afford that.
There is always learning on the job, Gordon did it last season as did Mykolenko.

I have only seen Patterson play a few times and I certainly am not qualified after a few games to say if he will be good enough or not.

You have obviously watched him play a lot with Rangers and have a better knowledge of him as a player.

For myself, I need to see a player several times and in different situations before making a judgement. I think that is true of just about everybody, no person who would want their opinion taken seriously would claim to judge a player without having seen him play a lot of club games.

I still do believe however that it is difficult to judge a young defender when his team is being overrun in midfield.

Ok, so last night Patterson was very poor. His mistake lead to a goal, so we will see if he learns from it.

At the start of the clip is Patterson doing the exact same thing and it lead to a goal. He tried to be clever and got caught out. He is a full back / wing back. But he does have a lot to learn. What I will say, and it’s in no way to defend his performance last night, I don’t think he’s 100% fit, I don’t think he’s match fit. Didn’t notice it in the Arsenal game because he was on the opposite side of the pitch from the camera. But last night with him playing on the same side as the camera was positioned, I think he’s still carrying some weight from his time out with the injury and recovery. His face looks chubby, he was breathing heavy after 10-15 minutes.
But being honest with you, I think Patterson has as much potential, if not more than Aaron Hickey, Calvin Ramsey. I believe he can be as good as Tierney or Robertson. In some respects better than all of them. I think offensively he’s got the most potential of all of them.

There is always learning on the job, Gordon did it last season as did Mykolenko.

I have only seen Patterson play a few times and I certainly am not qualified after a few games to say if he will be good enough or not.

You have obviously watched him play a lot with Rangers and have a better knowledge of him as a player.

For myself, I need to see a player several times and in different situations before making a judgement. I think that is true of just about everybody, no person who would want their opinion taken seriously would claim to judge a player without having seen him play a lot of club games.

I still do believe however that it is difficult to judge a young defender when his team is being overrun in midfield.

Yes, so let me underline again what needs to happen: send him on loan and we get a RB in. Bec ause if we dont we'll be over-run in defence and reliant on a 5 man defence because we wont always be able to get Coleman on the oicth to play 4 at the back.

Dont think he was great at all but both him and myko had no help from thhe midfield the cm all over the place. Gray and gordon not tracking back he will have to get better

Yes, so let me underline again what needs to happen: send him on loan and we get a RB in. Bec ause if we dont we'll be over-run in defence and reliant on a 5 man defence because we wont always be able to get Coleman on the oicth to play 4 at the back.
Midfield is the real problem and area in danger of being overrun.
I’d switch to a 4/4/1/1 with 4 central midfielders, no wingers to prevent it from happening.
As far as Patterson, I wouldn’t loan him out. I’d give him a chance to prove if he’s learned from match. And I’d wait until he’s match fit before judging him.

Status
Not open for further replies.