Match Thread Everton v Borehamwood - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always people banding the word "snowflake" about that are absolutely butt hurt by everything isn't it! Oh isn't it ironic! What does it matter to you who claps who you gammon. Some absolute perma-raging idiot along from me went apoplectic at this also, imagine getting worked up by this!
Sorry frosty

We're awful at set pieces. It's like we don't practise them much but just see what happens on the day. I mean, what's more basic to a footballer than an accurate cross into the danger area?
I don't think it's because we don't practice them its just that we haven't got anybody who can actually cross the ball while ensuring it gets above 3ft 6in off the deck

I was excited to watch a match live, but the team was just awful, but what choice do we have? Only Gordon and Branthwaite or what you might call exciting young players to watch, and maybe Dobbin would be but normally you'd expect 3-4 young players who look good, and it's worth watching.

1. I fell asleep during this (not a great indicator as we have 2 kids and always tired)
2. Keane was like the playmaker. The tactics have to be all wrong if Keane is the one making the team tick. He just doesn't have the confidence and skill to find the passes. Kenny & Branthwaite always seem to have the angles and available to receive passes, but he was looking forward, and his only options were killer passes (key passes), assists or safe passes. It's a good sign that he was looking to stride forward, but he hasn't got the skills for that.
3. Mykolenko as captain was a really nice gesture, but I wonder who was the actual captain, because in the past it would have been Gylfi, Keane, Holgate or Davies if not Seamues. Seemed like Allan was quite involved in all of that, Branthwaite seemed to be talking a lot.

Just felt like a poor win overall, but at least we're through! Hopefully we play full strength against CP.

I was excited to watch a match live, but the team was just awful, but what choice do we have? Only Gordon and Branthwaite or what you might call exciting young players to watch, and maybe Dobbin would be but normally you'd expect 3-4 young players who look good, and it's worth watching.

1. I fell asleep during this (not a great indicator as we have 2 kids and always tired)
2. Keane was like the playmaker. The tactics have to be all wrong if Keane is the one making the team tick. He just doesn't have the confidence and skill to find the passes. Kenny & Branthwaite always seem to have the angles and available to receive passes, but he was looking forward, and his only options were killer passes (key passes), assists or safe passes. It's a good sign that he was looking to stride forward, but he hasn't got the skills for that.
3. Mykolenko as captain was a really nice gesture, but I wonder who was the actual captain, because in the past it would have been Gylfi, Keane, Holgate or Davies if not Seamues. Seemed like Allan was quite involved in all of that, Branthwaite seemed to be talking a lot.

Just felt like a poor win overall, but at least we're through! Hopefully we play full strength against CP.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intended tactic. But everyone kept passing it back or square to him so he had to bring it out himself. There was a lack of responsibility in the first half from others to pass the ball forward and quicker. You learn which centre halves can pass the ball on a night like that, and only Keane actually tried to.

As Lampard said afterwards, games like that last night gives you a good insight into where you are from a 'quality' perspective. We've seen all too often how Everton sides struggle in a game were we dominate possession and need to break two banks down. That's were the coaching should really come to the fore and last night proved that we still really struggle for creativity in the squad. Something he'll no doubt be looking at come the summer.

In games where you play against 2 banks of 5, rather than 4, you need players who will commit defenders to create the extra man. We had only one player who took players on last night - Gordon.

Most good teams have a couple of forwards who do it, a midfielder who carries the ball, and 2 full backs who do it. We had 1 player. We are one of the slowest teams in top flight football I've ever seen and have far too many players signed to play a style of football that is not suitable to English football and not what Everton is about.

All of you that are saying Anthony Gordon is greedy for shooting on sight - we have been crying out for our forwards to shoot on sight! Now we've got someone who does all you can do is moan. You've got more chance of scoring a goal if you shoot at it than you do if you just pass the ball to someone else.
Indeed. That was the theory of Bobby Charlton that the more attempts you have, the greater chance you have of scoring. He scored a few as well.
I appreciate the young man needs to be more aware of situations around him and who might be better placed, but as I said, the young man. The emphasis on 'young'. Too eager perhaps, but that will only come with experience.
Please, let us be a little bit more patient. Who knows, he could be a great given time.

Indeed. That was the theory of Bobby Charlton that the more attempts you have, the greater chance you have of scoring. He scored a few as well.
I appreciate the young man needs to be more aware of situations around him and who might be better placed, but as I said, the young man. The emphasis on 'young'. Too eager perhaps, but that will only come with experience.
Please, let us be a little bit more patient. Who knows, he could be a great given time.
A bit like what Colin Harvey used to tell the young Graeme Sharp. He used to set him targets for attempts at goal.

What triggered the chant from the GS “ f*** the tories never heard that before.
Their fans became more and more idiotic as the game went on. I'm in the Park End and they spent the game facing us. Then started with the benefits chants etc. Then fighting amongst themselves (lot of blood on one lad) and then started throwing things. Us hard as nails Park Enders decided enough is enough and led the chant.

The cowardly GS joined in, knowing we were there to protect them, if things did get tasty. As usual, the away fans backed down, knowing you don't mess with the Park End Massive.

missed the entire game, beating Palace for a place in the semis is very doable.
I was at the Sidcup Recreation Club monthly quiz. I watched the game on my phone, getting a few 'He's looking at his phone!' stares. The fact that I got a lot of the tricky questions right and, despite being the smallest team there, came joint top, didn't help. I lost the tie-breaker question though (What was the record amount paid for a snowdrop bulb on eBay recently?)

I think this sums up Garrard's game plan

Screenshot_20220304-100640.png

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intended tactic. But everyone kept passing it back or square to him so he had to bring it out himself. There was a lack of responsibility in the first half from others to pass the ball forward and quicker. You learn which centre halves can pass the ball on a night like that, and only Keane actually tried to.

Yes of course. DIdn't express myself properly
It's good that centre halves look to get forward and pass, and only Keane did it, but it's sad that our default scenario was as if Keane was playmaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.