Match Thread Everton v Watford - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The terrifying thing is that all those players will be involved next week. Richi will start and I’d imagine Holgate but that will be the extent of it.

The problem i think is threefold:

1: Spine of Keane + Davies + Rondon

2: Ditched Davide Ancelotti's defensive set piece setup and gone zonal

3: Played a deep defence to protect Keane which has hampered both Digne and Godfrey

Its all on Benitez for me.

1. Well mostly agree, but I still think keane is our second best centre half after mina. Davies is just a squad player but I think he could be good in a three with Allan and Doucoure.
2. yep, though for their equalizer, we used to defend corners really deep, but would attack them, and now we're just standing still on them.
3. the deep defence I think is to allow allan and davies (doucoure) to go forward. It affected digne in recent games, but he got forward more today. Godfrey used to go forward more too.

I didn't like the team selection, but then again we're really short on players so who can Benitez put in the side? We don't have any CMs. It's literally Iwobi and Holgate left on the bench.

I'm indescribably livid , benitez justified taking off Gordon cos he doubted he could last 90 mins, yet Rondon who can barely manage the walk from the dressing room remains on the pitch.. so so angry right now

I've also been saying this that Rondon should be the one coming off, especially if Richarlison is coming on and can play striker by himself anyway.

Add to that the ridiculous stubbornness of persistence with Rondon.

I’m serious when I say this, I have seen better centre forwards in non league football.

If DCL is going to be out for another month or so, he has to find another option, even if it means turning Mina into an emergency striker.

We simply can not persist with Rondon any longer.

….as I said in the Benitez thread, Benitez is all ego & he’ll continue to back his judgement bringing him in. Much easier for him to bring a young lad off.

Benitez might argue Rondon occupied the CBs for the Richarlison goal, but i think that’s stretching it a bit. Regardless, he should’ve made us harder to beat after we went ahead, it was very naive game management.

Gordon couldn’t handle the physical side of the game, especially towards the end. Ended up on the ground whenever he was touched. Swapping him for Richy to go to two up front was a good change, and resulted in what should have been the winning goal.

Gray for Iwobi he’s just trying to get some fresh legs on and it’s Iwobi or Dobbin, who’s probably had a dozen minutes of premier league experience? Gray was gassed and looked like he was having problem with his groin. The fact that Iwobi is our best option speaks to the nightmarish squad building that’s gone on the last four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.