"Watch Classic Matches Again"

The Charity Shield, August 1963:

A very feisty game at Goodison Park between League Champions Everton and Cup winners United. Virtually the whole match is shown, apart from the opening minute and Everton's second goal (a twice taken penalty from Roy Vernon) which is missing from the coverage. Goals from Jimmy Gabriel, Dennis Stevens and Derek Temple give Everton a comfortable 4-0 win and they are presented with the trophy after the game. Two weeks later they played each other in the League at Old Trafford and United won 5-1.

A very feisty game at Goodison Park between League Champions Everton and Cup winners United. Virtually the whole match is shown, apart from the opening minute and Everton's second goal (a twice taken penalty from Roy Vernon) which is missing from the coverage. Goals from Jimmy Gabriel, Dennis Stevens and Derek Temple give Everton a comfortable 4-0 win and they are presented with the trophy after the game. Two weeks later they played each other in the League at Old Trafford and United won 5-1.

Christ!!some find that!!never seen that before,thanks a lot Major!!

Christ!!some find that!!never seen that before,thanks a lot Major!!

The moose head fell off the wall and began talking impeccable German when this one appeared, DT. What an absolute joy to see such extended highlights, followed by the shield presentation. My Dad, uncles and cousins - so many of them no longer with us - in that crowd, basking in the sun.

The moose head fell off the wall and began talking impeccable German when this one appeared, DT. What an absolute joy to see such extended highlights, followed by the shield presentation. My Dad, uncles and cousins - so many of them no longer with us - in that crowd, basking in the sun.
I'm not surprised Major,a remarkable find :)

Weird bit in that around the 4minute 50 second mark!

Ball goes out for what looks like an Everton corner on the right, but instead Everton take a “quick” free kick just inside the penalty area, so if it was a free kick why wasn’t it a penalty?
Slightly before my time, but was there another rule in play at the time?
Answers on a postcard to ………..

Ball goes out for what looks like an Everton corner on the right, but instead Everton take a “quick” free kick just inside the penalty area, so if it was a free kick why wasn’t it a penalty?
I think free kicks could be given for obstruction, not sure though, memory is a bit hazy.

RUNNING THE RULE: Whatever happened to indirect free-kicks in the box for obstruction?​

Hardly any passes go backwards! Footy as I remember it.

Metalist 2-3 Everton - the latest upload by the subtly named YT channel "Everton Matches". Seeing Lescott, McFadden and Anichebe in a "Rocky IV font" just hammers (and sickles?) home the crazyness of our random European away nights under Moyes - the first ones my success-starved generation truly remembers.

metallisy.png

Really hits me in the feels on a personal level, as I was just 18 then and thought I had the world at my feet. What a naive little brick I was back then :D

I remember watching this like yesterday though I didn't see much between the first and last goals, as I put my cheeky vimto pint of ale down in the student bar where I was watching after Metalist scored and wandered the streets of Everpool pondering why I supported that rabble.

About an hour later I'm in a corner shop and hear "Everton just need to hold on and they're through", I races home to mein digs and switch on just in time to see cheebs score the winner.

Happy days!