The Forgotten Champions 1986/1987 Everton's Last Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cork Evertonian

Player Valuation: £40m
It's a book about our 1987 league title win. Paul McParlan is the author, and there's interviews with Alan Harper Paul Power and Kevin Ratcliffe. I've my copy ordered off amazon. It should make for interesting reading anyway. We live in hope to see Everton finally get back to those heady heights again, in the hopefully not too distant future.

Always glad of books celebrating our history but I don't accept they're any more forgotten than any other title winning team of 30+ years.

2 new Everton books about our history out this week. The other one is "Boys from the Bluestuff" from Gavin Buckland.

Ordered both and cant wait to read them. ;)

1632908759495.png

My copy of the book arrived earlier. There's some great pictures in it, of the post match celebrations at Carrow Road, and also of the trophy presentation at Goodison. It's a nice memento of our most recent league title win, and a reminder of what a sleeping giant this club is. The roll of honour then was the rs 16 titles Everton 9 titles Arsenal 8 titles and Manchester United 7 titles.

Didn't Gary Stevens fill in at CB as well at times with Harper at RB? I remember the Christmas period. We played some blinding football - battered teams.
29th November Man City away 3-1. 6th December Norwich home 4-0. 20th December Wimbledon home 3-0. 26th December Newcastle away 4-0. 28th December Leicester Home 5-1. 1st January Aston Villa home 3-0. For about an entire month that team was in devastating form. The only anomaly was a 1-0 away defeat to Luton on the 13th of December.

Always glad of books celebrating our history but I don't accept they're any more forgotten than any other title winning team of 30+ years.

They’re more “forgotten” than the 85 team, I’d say. Everyone over the age of 12 can name the 85 team 1-11 plus subs, wouldn’t say the same about the 87 team. But that’s more to do with the Cup Winners’ Cup, and reaching the FA Cup final helps.

I’d say 1970 with The Holy Trinity and Royle, Labone etc. is more revered too.

I’d guess with the European ban, the crumble that followed, the fact there hadn’t been a drought beforehsnd etc, the 87 title win isn’t celebrated so much. But not forgotten, definitely.

Didn't Gary Stevens fill in at CB as well at times with Harper at RB? I remember the Christmas period. We played some blinding football - battered teams.

…Stevens & Van den Hauwe were two full backs with Rolls Royce engines. Having that physicality in your back four is such a bonus. I know it was a long time ago, but that team/squad is still a decent blueprint for any manager/DoF.

They’re more “forgotten” than the 85 team, I’d say. Everyone over the age of 12 can name the 85 team 1-11 plus subs, wouldn’t say the same about the 87 team. But that’s more to do with the Cup Winners’ Cup, and reaching the FA Cup final helps.

I’d say 1970 with The Holy Trinity and Royle, Labone etc. is more revered too.

I’d guess with the European ban, the crumble that followed, the fact there hadn’t been a drought beforehsnd etc, the 87 title win isn’t celebrated so much. But not forgotten, definitely.
Very true, I’m 33 and my dad always talked about the 85 team and I practically wore out the old season review video as a kid. I can tell you all about 85 and 95 but 87, not so much.
I think no Europe is the big thing here… similar to how the RS asterix title will be long forgotten because no fans…

I think they were forgotten as much as anything because they got zero publicity, no match of the day that season so unless you went those games you didn’t see the champions other than about 30 secs on Granada reports .

Also as has been said 30 odd years later as fans we still sing through the 84/85 side on a regular basis but not so much out “forgotten champions”.

I think they were forgotten as much as anything because they got zero publicity, no match of the day that season so unless you went those games you didn’t see the champions other than about 30 secs on Granada reports .

Also as has been said 30 odd years later as fans we still sing through the 84/85 side on a regular basis but not so much out “forgotten champions”.
And in part because so many players contributed a cameo that season it was not quite the same 12-14 players as it was in 1985. It was a tremendous achievement of squad management in 1987.

29th November Man City away 3-1. 6th December Norwich home 4-0. 20th December Wimbledon home 3-0. 26th December Newcastle away 4-0. 28th December Leicester Home 5-1. 1st January Aston Villa home 3-0. For about an entire month that team was in devastating form. The only anomaly was a 1-0 away defeat to Luton on the 13th of December.
I remember that game against villa on New Year’s Day. 2nd half demolition. We were fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.