Tactical Side of Rafael Regime

Status
Not open for further replies.
More hands on

Seems to continuously be giving instructions to the players

I saw a photo of Alan going over to Benitez and listening to his instructions during a game. Even after the game he was in Coleman’s ear and Townsend’s ear telling them how to improve.

He also seems to be more ruthless than previous managers. He’s not afraid to drop big name players like Rodriguez until they prove that they are committed to the cause. Some might call it arrogance I would call it a bit of the tough love. Prove me wrong kind of attitude.

Tactically he seems to read the game well and does seem to make the right changes at the right time. Truth be told I was questioning a bit with the 5 at the back against Burnley and why he waited till the 60th minute to change the system. I guess he had no choice to change things after we conceded first but some managers would have kept 5 at the back for the full 90 even after we equalised.

It’s still early days yet but you can see he wants us to play more direct football and to get crosses in the box more often.

More hands on

I saw a photo of Alan going over to Benitez and listening to his instructions during a game. Even after the game he was in Coleman’s ear and Townsend’s ear telling them how to improve.

He also seems to be more ruthless than previous managers. He’s not afraid to drop big name players like Rodriguez until they prove that they are committed to the cause. Some might call it arrogance I would call it a bit of the tough love. Prove me wrong kind of attitude.

Tactically he seems to read the game well and does seem to make the right changes at the right time. Truth be told I was questioning a bit with the 5 at the back against Burnley and why he waited till the 60th minute to change the system. I guess he had no choice to change things after we conceded first but some managers would have kept 5 at the back for the full 90 even after we equalised.

It’s still early days yet but you can see he wants us to play more direct football and to get crosses in the box more often.
His hands on approach has gained him lots of plaudits over the years. He's a perfectionist. Like Andros said in his post match interview, he approached him after the game and instead of congratulating him on the goal he was mentioning things he could improve on. Vast contrast to the rumours of how basic Ancelotti's training sessions were.

Some fans are ridiculously easily pleased by the end line, i.e. the result. But if you look into the games, we have been poor in a large majority of them, for instance the first 60 on Monday, first 45 vs Saints. Only 30% possession vs Leeds. He has benefited from a largely easy start and Gray being consistent for first-time in his career

Some fans are ridiculously easily pleased by the end line, i.e. the result. But if you look into the games, we have been poor in a large majority of them, for instance the first 60 on Monday, first 45 vs Saints. Only 30% possession vs Leeds. He has benefited from a largely easy start and Gray being consistent for first-time in his career
Wow! Someone's glass is half empty, and what's in it must taste like piss and vinegar! Southampton and Burnley have both caused us problems previously, which probably explains the conservative set-up. But after falling behind we won both handily, and could have had more goals, especially against Burnley.

Leeds hardly deserved the point; Everton largely neutralised the Leeds attack, this in front of the first Elland Road full house since they came back up. And the Brighton game, which you omitted to mention, was as controlled and comfortable an away win as you'll see, even though our opponents came into the game with momentum and confidence.

Early days, I know, and let's see how we go at Villa and QPR. Maybe I'm ridiculously easily pleased, but I see structure, game plans (not all of which work), commitment from (all) the players, real improvement in some, and a manager who comes up with in-game solutions to the challenges that emerge.

Wow! Someone's glass is half empty, and what's in it must taste like piss and vinegar! Southampton and Burnley have both caused us problems previously, which probably explains the conservative set-up. But after falling behind we won both handily, and could have had more goals, especially against Burnley.

Leeds hardly deserved the point; Everton largely neutralised the Leeds attack, this in front of the first Elland Road full house since they came back up. And the Brighton game, which you omitted to mention, was as controlled and comfortable an away win as you'll see, even though our opponents came into the game with momentum and confidence.

Early days, I know, and let's see how we go at Villa and QPR. Maybe I'm ridiculously easily pleased, but I see structure, game plans (not all of which work), commitment from (all) the players, real improvement in some, and a manager who comes up with in-game solutions to the challenges that emerge.

There was a reason i miseed out Brighton

Leeds have been awful this season so getting a point with onky 30% possessionis hardly anything to shout about.

I write a lot about Everton's tactical side of the game over on my twitter (same as my username here) and it's gained ridiculous traction recently. A lot of people massively impressed with how were playing.

What are the main differences between Carlo and Rafael do you think?
We've won a few, all the tactics you need, that and the arl - One game at a time thing

More hands on

It’s still early days yet but you can see he wants us to play more direct football and to get crosses in the box

What impressed me. We actually equalised just before he made the change. Instead of sitting back he still made the change knowing his original had plan had failed. Some managers would stopped the substitution and been stubborn.

What impressed me. We actually equalised just before he made the change. Instead of sitting back he still made the change knowing his original had plan had failed. Some managers would stopped the substitution and been stubborn.
His lack of stubbornness has impressed a lot of blues so far. Compared to our previous manager who was polar opposite

More hands on

When Keane scored the first goal and Gomes was about to come on, Allan went over to Benitez for instructions while the rest of the team was celebrating.

On the half time analysis yer wan was showing how the team shaped up centrally
ie defend the Villa wide players 1 to 1, let em have it cause they're not going to get past the central defence.
and they'll have the advantage countering through the middle (which also give more options in build instead of the tired old working it up the wing)

And they were doing it well until they just seem to lose the plot.
What was Keane doing for the first goal, before and after he got rinsed, is beyond me.

There's a big problem with leadership here. That's when someone needed to to get them back into shape, mentally too.
Doucs, who after Alan had been substituted and Gomes and Gordon are on, decides to play higher into the 10 space. It had gone from defending centrally to no one covering the middle and the far side of play completely abandoned.

Did Benetiz change tactics and they couldn't cope. wtf was going on.
Really poor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.