Florida Cup 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Er, have we actually won the Florida Cup? Don't the other matches count?
Mexican side UNAM and Colombian club Atlético Nacional were added to the schedule to face Everton and Millonarios for their second match on a July 28 doubleheader. It was decided that the winner of the opening match between Everton and Millonarios would be declared winner of the tournament.[2] Everton defeated Millonarios 10–9 on penalties after a 1–1 draw.

Here are few more pic and videos from the match.

Before leaving for the match holding the sign my daughter helped me color and paint.

0F369854-690A-48FF-A27E-1FE9580EEC90.jpeg

Everton was definitely promoting their International Academy throughout the game and their merchandise too

4B832DF6-6BC1-47DA-AA70-C46D41EC531D.jpeg

8E3D8619-C195-419D-BE40-39FDE0E9AC62.jpeg
8FA5B711-21AB-4E31-9C02-AE4F870E8CCF.jpeg

I am still pinching myself to confirm I am not dreaming the whole thing...we won a trophy! A massive moment in our mighty club’s storied history. I recall Rotterdam, 1985...that’s the only other time I have ever felt as proud as I do right now!

DBB came to meet with NYC Evertonians at Turnmill* when she was in town to meet with Meis for the stadium a couple of years ago. She came to the pub right from the airport, bought a round for the folks there - maybe 40 Blues? She was asking everyone how they came to be Blues and what was important to them in their support of the club. I got to chat with her for a few minutes.

She proactively sought out the supporters' club when she didn't have to, showed up, bought a round, asked a lot of questions, listened to what folks had to say.

On that evidence, and that they finally came here, I think they get it. I presume that Florida was chosen for the Colombian audience and the James tie-in, which was smart.

*Turnmill is the NYC Everton bar. They do a great job for the games, it's fun to show up at 7am on a Saturday and start on your first pint with dozens of Blues. There are usually quite a few scousers there, either expats or folks touring NYC. If you're visiting and there's a match on the calendar, make sure to go.

So going back on what I just said: lots of grumbles on Twitter that there was no club presence at the stadium selling merch.

Big fail.

Should have been not only a setup for selling shirts, scarves, etc. for all the Blues and Blue-curious, but if they knew what they were doing they would have had a table with Club personnel there to provide info and connections for booking your first trip to Goodison. Becaues tickets don't go on sale until not long before games, and also that matches can be moved for TV by so much that travel plans can be disrupted - both of which are surprising to American fans - there needs to be some fan education. But how good would it have been to have some Club personnel there to collect names and emails and provide contact info for booking that trip when blocks of tickets become available, including flight/hotel packages etc. "See Goodison while you still can - only 66 home games left!" or whatever it is.

I'm desperate to see Goodison so I'm figuring it out on my own. If they wanted to really capitalize on this trip they could have done something like this - or FFS at least have some James shirts to sell next to the beer concession.

Edit: I see Sassy, a few posts above me, posted a sign of a merch table. Willing to be proven wrong. Still, if >1 Twitter guy said so, maybe there was merch but not visible enough.

So going back on what I just said: lots of grumbles on Twitter that there was no club presence at the stadium selling merch.

Big fail.

Should have been not only a setup for selling shirts, scarves, etc. for all the Blues and Blue-curious, but if they knew what they were doing they would have had a table with Club personnel there to provide info and connections for booking your first trip to Goodison. Becaues tickets don't go on sale until not long before games, and also that matches can be moved for TV by so much that travel plans can be disrupted - both of which are surprising to American fans - there needs to be some fan education. But how good would it have been to have some Club personnel there to collect names and emails and provide contact info for booking that trip when blocks of tickets become available, including flight/hotel packages etc. "See Goodison while you still can - only 66 home games left!" or whatever it is.

I'm desperate to see Goodison so I'm figuring it out on my own. If they wanted to really capitalize on this trip they could have done something like this - or FFS at least have some James shirts to sell next to the beer concession.

Edit: I see Sassy, a few posts above me, posted a sign of a merch table. Willing to be proven wrong. Still, if >1 Twitter guy said so, maybe there was merch but not visible enough.
We've been really poor in the merchandising department for a few decades now. I remember in the mid 90's they even started not getting the home shirt on sale until after the season started. We then had the brainwave to out source our merchandising, doing deals with JB sports and Kit Bag, which meant that you could see any gear outside of shops in Liverpool. I remember going into JB Sports in Liverpool after we teamed up with them as our retail partner, and they had a small corner in the back for Everton while all other teams gear on sale could be seen as soon as you came through the door.

And its not like we didn't have spells where we could have pushed merchandise in new markets. We had Tim Cahill for how many years, and never broke the Aussie market. Landon Donavon, the poster boy for US soccer, and never made the most of it.

Big fail.

I saw some reports that the merchandise was held up at customs/courier hub?

Twitter though, so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.