2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Evertonians think that Big Keggers isnt our best CB.

I dont take much notice.

He's certainly the most reliable.

I tend to think that collapsing attributes like reliable and talented into a single dimension of 'good/bad' is a mistake. It just leads to pointless arguments.

I can respect the position that he is the 'best' because he is available almost whenever he would be called upon, and delivers Prem-level results. I don't happen to agree with that judgment, but your position is rational and tends to say something about your risk preferences.

Lossl on a free, sold for undisclosed fee.
Kean isn't dead wood since we're going to make a profit.
JPG can't be deadwood if we're looking to use him and not sell him.
King was a 6 month loan essentially.
Townsend, Gray, Begovic we can call deadwood in 6-12 months time.
Bernard on a free was a decent deal at the time - I'm sure in his first season you liked him too.

I know you hate him but you don't half bend spoons to get there.
The important factor here is how we have advanced (or not) as a club during his tenure. We have hugely increased our wage budget and have a perilous wages to turnover ratio. That would be an acceptable risk if we were making good progress on the pitch, that's not all on Brands but most of his predecessors mistakes have now been moved on. Unfortunately, we are, at best, stagnating in terms of league position and sooner or later (three years isn't an insignificant period of time) Brands, as DoF has to take responsibility for that. For many, including me, that time is now, I appreciate that others are prepared to give him another year or two but eventually he has to be fully responsible for sporting outcomes. That is literally his job description.

Kenwright's tenure as owner and Brands being hired as DoF are hands down the two worst thing to happen to Everton since the European ban.

No question about that.

He's a catastrophe.
Have to now agree with this, Brands seemingly anonymous- doesn't own any decision good or bad, seems absolved of/immune from any sort of accountability...

Kenwright's tenure as owner and Brands being hired as DoF are hands down the two worst thing to happen to Everton since the European ban.

No question about that.

He's a catastrophe.

Dave, I think Peter Johnson’s spell as owner was a much bigger catastrophe than any of those two.

Everything about our decline as a major force stems from him standing on the platform as the Sky/Premier League express train pulled out the station.

Dave, I think Peter Johnson’s spell as owner was a much bigger catastrophe than any of those two.

Everything about our decline as a major force stems from him standing on the platform as the Sky/Premier League express train pulled out the station.
No. He built up the Park End; won a cup. There was a base for him to work from, and there was ambition; but he failed to make the right appointments after Royle left and we were a disaster - avoiding relegation narrowly. But his time here was less harmful than Kenwright's.

Status
Not open for further replies.