Confirmed Signing Andros Townsend

Status
Not open for further replies.
And equally, I'm genuinely puzzled at the number of people accepting and welcoming of him. Neither he nor Gray are decent players. Bernard and Iwobi are better players imo and neither have gone yet.
Why do you think they are better players? Based off what? If they are better players they are hiding it very well.

I would guess that three quarters of the players in the Premier league earn less than him, so plenty I would say.

And adding value is your opinion. Mine is he doesn't in terms of ability.

Adding value these days is not always so subjective mate. Paying £35m for a player and paying him £8m pa over 5 years is a significantly higher investment than paying nothing for a 'similar' player and committing to one year - unless you genuinely think you've bought a donkey with a wooden leg.

So in that context tell me how you would value Iwobi for the club against Townsend? Btw - I'm sure you wouldn't have taken either, but I'm trying to make the value point.

He was never a regular starter for us and ended up going to Norwich where he did not shine either.

He was very average. Lovely bloke and he could finish quite well when a chance came his way but that's about it.
It's funny with Naismith, I get both sides of the argument. He wasn't a gifted or exceptional player. His control was a bit duff. Yet I was usually fairly confident he'd finish a chance. I never worried he'd hide or not put the team first.

Fair enough Norwich didn't work out for him, but I didn't mind him. Especially given he was a free transfer. Fairly typical Moyes signing really - team first, low value, decent yield kind of player.

Contra the 'talents' we've signed in recent years who offered less, Naisy wins. Well, competes.

It's funny with Naismith, I get both sides of the argument. He wasn't a gifted or exceptional player. His control was a bit duff. Yet I was usually fairly confident he'd finish a chance. I never worried he'd hide or not put the team first.

Fair enough Norwich didn't work out for him, but I didn't mind him. Especially given he was a free transfer. Fairly typical Moyes signing really - team first, low value, decent yield kind of player.

Contra the 'talents' we've signed in recent years who offered less, Naisy wins. Well, competes.
Naismith was comfortable in his own skin. He realised football wasn't the most important thing in the world so he didn't stress too much when a chance came along. He was a decent player and a good human being.

I really hope he puts the talksport punditry on the back seat. Can't be arsed with one of our players on talksport every week.

Why do you think they are better players? Based off what? If they are better players they are hiding it very well.
Why do you think the other 2 are better players. One couldn't get anywhere near the Leicester team and was released. One struggled to get in the Palace team and was released.

We need to improve our starting XI and we need to improve our squad. These 2 players do neither. They may represent cheaper squad players (but not very much at £80k pw) but they are not better. I'm not saying either Iwobi or Bernard are good enough for Everton although I do believe Bernard can be a game changer at times, he's just too inconsistent. I agree they should be replaced, just not by these two footballers.

Adding value these days is not always so subjective mate. Paying £35m for a player and paying him £8m pa over 5 years is a significantly higher investment than paying nothing for a 'similar' player and committing to one year - unless you genuinely think you've bought a donkey with a wooden leg.

So in that context tell me how you would value Iwobi for the club against Townsend? Btw - I'm sure you wouldn't have taken either, but I'm trying to make the value point.
I judge players by how they play football. Simple as that. So when you add value to the team, in my opinion, you have to be improving the quality of the team. But just for clarity, that's why I emphasised in terms of ability.

Why do you think the other 2 are better players. One couldn't get anywhere near the Leicester team and was released. One struggled to get in the Palace team and was released.

We need to improve our starting XI and we need to improve our squad. These 2 players do neither. They may represent cheaper squad players (but not very much at £80k pw) but they are not better. I'm not saying either Iwobi or Bernard are good enough for Everton although I do believe Bernard can be a game changer at times, he's just too inconsistent. I agree they should be replaced, just not by these two footballers.
Struggled to get in the Palace team? He played 36 games last season!

I don't love any of the players we are bringing in or anything (I am OK with one of them, 3-4 of them is a bit much) but there is no way that Bernard is better than either of them (at least on a Premier League stage) I don't even know why either really, he has talent but a raft have managers have chosen not to play him now so there is obviously an issue there.

I actually think Gray is a good signing regardless. A highly touted player who has lost his way a bit. Similar to how Pienaar was before we signed him, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he can do well here.

We have signed big name players who have been crap too. Probably still will...

I don't think there is anything wrong with being a fairly average player really. He could do a job at times but would never set the world alight. Perfect squad man at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.