New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a football thing, but those in opposition tend to shout much louder. Quite often, if you only listen to the voice you can hear, then your view of it can become quite skewed. Twitter and internet forums are in eth most part just another channel for people to make their voice heard.
Yeah I understand the concept of an echo chamber. In this case i'm not sure it really applies. The dissent is sufficient to prove that this would be a hugely divisive appointment, so even if there are thousands of blues staying silent who would be happy enough with it happening, the level of opposition to it is all the proof you need. Nobody's suggesting that every single fan in Goodison on the opening day would boo and heckle, but it's pretty undeniable that a significant portion would. 51% might be enough to secure a brexit vote, but if 49% of Goodison wants Benitez gone, you can be pretty certain he'd be gone soon enough.

This forum was also fuming with the idea of nuno getting it when it looked like he was on the verge (who I would have been happy with )

Seems the main requirements for a appointment everyone is happy with is they've never managed in the Prem so we aren't familiar with them enough to be negative

Rafael has stated that he wants a club which he can manage for a decade if he's allowed that amount of time. He aims to manage well in to his 70s. How exactly would he be short term?

I suggest you read his blog and get a true insight in to his character.

He wants a project and a club with good youth facilities as his aim is to develop for the future and set a club up for life.
@Theoneandonly
You'd get a lot more respect on here if you'd been up front about who you are (without having to give too much away) and not pretended to be something you're not, which makes you a liar and therefore greatly undermines your credibility.

You keep referring to Everton as "we" and "us," but you only ever post about Benitez and, until recently, not since December 2019 during our last manager search. That proves you're not an Evertonian, so everything you post then becomes questionable.

You could well be linked to Benitez in some way or you could be one of the many fake ITKs, posting information gleaned from elsewhere in a sad attempt to boost a fragile ego. As you're a proven liar, it's difficult to know which one you are. If it's the latter, then that makes you a very weird and slightly disturbed individual.

Even if we take the emotion out of it and disregard the Liverpool links, Benitez hasn't significantly improved any team he's managed for many years. His teams also play dull, negative football and we had enough of that last season. It's clear that enough Everton fans are against him becoming our manager to make his appointment extremely divisive. He'd be on a hiding to nothing unless he did something special very quickly. I can't see that happening.

Because I’m yet to meet an Everton fan in RL or on here that actually wants him. The people who want him are either new posters or only post when the Everton job available and again are for Benitez.
Probably because their to scared to admit it and find the mob with the pitchforks camped outside of their homes, some people on here with the list that we are reportedly working off will probably chose him and again no that's not me , i think some have said they see the merits in the appointment, i just don't like the people getting on their high horses and trying to shout down other peoples opinions, discuss by all means but leave the i know better than you crap and insults out of the responses

Maybe it is time for a dose of reality, and having someone clinical and unemotional in his approach to change Everton from this mess we are in at the minute?

I don't want Rafael never have, never will but also can't help thinking that everybody at the club especially the playing side and coaching staff need a few home truths and maybe a cold calculated pair of eyes might just finally do it?

I am sick of hearing that we need somebody who gets Everton? We have DBB, Bill Kenwright, Duncan, Rhino, Ebbrell, Baines, and so on and so on at the club who all supposedly get Everton and we are a mess, Duncan apparently gets Everton more than anyone and yet is not ready to be Manager because he is only passion (depsite being the same age as Pep and older than Tuchel?)

Maybe its time to take emotion out of it and get somebody who knows what he is doing and will finally shake the club to its foundations and force real change, because we need it now more than ever.

Nice place to work for a couple of years running? It appears the only people who aren't having a nice time at Everton are the fans?

We wanted big name managers we got it, we wanted big name players we go it, we wanted big money spent on transfers we got it, we wanted a new ground looks like we are getting it, maybe its time to stop thinking about want the fans want and run the club properly with someone who is going to tell it how it is? If thats Rafael then so be it because nothing else has worked and I don't see any candidate who sticks out? (I have never seen Lille play so know nothing about Gaultier.)
Some very well made points there but the fact of the matter is Football is an emotional past time . It's the game with the most stories and emotions attached to it .
We are Everton , with a fine heritage . We take pride in our history , our victories and our fans .
As soon as you become a full Evertonian , you are hit with a major and nasty illness . An aversion of all things RS . It's both a blessing and a curse .
We can always claim the moral high ground . Always .
Rafael is RS legend . He won them the CL and took a few swipes at us at the time . He has very little since to wash away the stench of RS on and off the pitch .
He hasn't shown he's a master tactician or a Cloughie type manager .
To outsiders , it looks completely barmy why we wouldn't accept a manager just because he smells like RS .
But we get it . We really get it .

I support fans right to protest but don't necessarily agree with what was written on the banner.

If Benitez is to be appointed that 1st press conference is going to be critical. He's going to be asked about those comments. If he answers it badly people will turn. If he answers it well, and gets some sort of dig in about Liverpool FC people will be far more open to him. There are a lot of easy wins for Benitez and if he's smart he will engage in some.
IF he does come here I'd only be swayed by results...and ones found quickly. He'd get less leeway than anyone else - obviously.

i'm not sure many geordies would agree with your description of what happened up there.
Why did he leave then? He had a contract, if he was fully committed he would have stayed. He never, he left for a massive pay day because Ashley wouldn't give him as much funding as he wanted. Lets go through his teams shall we.

Liverpool - Always blaming the board for problems and left the season it went a bit west and Gerrard was bored of him
Inter - Left after a fall out with the owners due to his poor performance with a Treble winning team and demands in the market
Chelsea - Won the Europa league with the CL holders and sneaked in to the top 4. Never got offered an extension
Napoli - Won the Coppa Italia then lead them to 5th place after getting beat by Lazio 4-2 in the final game, left for Madrid.
Madrid - Got sacked after 6 months because he played crap football and got embarrassed by Barca at the Bernabeu. Madrid Wet on to win the CL
Newcastle - Got relegated with a team 1 point from safety with a game in hand. Brought them back up with the best squad in the championship carried on being a midtable club (something which Bruce is carrying on with ease). Left due to a bad relationship with the owner (what a surprise) to go to China for stupid money.
Dalian - Lost more games than he won in the chinese super league with Hamsik and Carrasco for a season and Hamsik and Rondon for the other in his team

when I say real i mean including the people who are scared to say what they really think. In are group chat straight after Ancelotti left benitez was mooted at the start and people said they'd be happy with it. now a couple of them have gone back on it because of thr fume and rest are quiet.

or maybe they werent thinking straight when ancelloti done the dirty on us and have now had time to process what having the has-been kopite means

Yup, and while we all acknowledge a voluble section of the fanbase are implacably opposed to Benitez, I think we should not underestimate the amount of fans who would accept this appointment or who will go into it with an open mind. People can tear up season tickets and the like over this - and I respect that position - but unless there are enough torn up season tickets that result in a failure to sell the usual quota, then other bums will fill those seats and the club hierarchy will move merrily along.

If the proposed new manager was a convicted criminal, I could imagine a revolution in the fan base blocking his appoinment. As it is, the majority of fans are not going to take up pitchforks because he once managed Liverpool. That's not a criticism of any of our fans, by the way. It's simply recognition that we are a far broader church than what may sometimes seem the case.
Exactly.

For me, he's not wanted - AT ALL.

However, all this dying on the barricades stuff is for the birds. It's football rivalry at the end of the day. I'd rather have an experienced hand like Benitez than, say, an utter beaut like Ferguson...who would get the thumbs up from many, despite obviously not being up to it.

I can't remember Houllier buying Luis Garcia who scored 4 goals en route to the Champions League final. Or Xabi Alonso who scored in the final.

They also finished runners up in the League Cup that season too.

FA cup and Super Cup winners the season after, as well as finishing 3rd.

Charity Shield winners and another champions league final, runners up this time though. Another 3rd place finish.

Semi finals of the Champions league and a 4th place finish.

2nd place in the league, led the season for pretty much most of it.

Semi finals of the Europa League... Sacked.
Super cup and Charity shield are not major honours no matter what anybody says, they are 1 game between 2 teams, glorified friendlies.

All well and good getting to semis and finals but what does it show on the history books? Spurs got to a CL final a couple years ago and are now in a mess, means nothing

Why did he leave then? He had a contract, if he was fully committed he would have stayed. He never, he left for a massive pay day because Ashley wouldn't give him as much funding as he wanted. Lets go through his teams shall we.

Liverpool - Always blaming the board for problems and left the season it went a bit west and Gerrard was bored of him
Inter - Left after a fall out with the owners due to his poor performance with a Treble winning team and demands in the market
Chelsea - Won the Europa league with the CL holders and sneaked in to the top 4. Never got offered an extension
Napoli - Won the Coppa Italia then lead them to 5th place after getting beat by Lazio 4-2 in the final game, left for Madrid.
Madrid - Got sacked after 6 months because he played crap football and got embarrassed by Barca at the Bernabeu. Madrid Wet on to win the CL
Newcastle - Got relegated with a team 1 point from safety with a game in hand. Brought them back up with the best squad in the championship carried on being a midtable club (something which Bruce is carrying on with ease). Left due to a bad relationship with the owner (what a surprise) to go to China for stupid money.
Dalian - Lost more games than he won in the chinese super league with Hamsik and Carrasco for a season and Hamsik and Rondon for the other in his team

Great post - and some think this fella is the best choice for Everton FC?!

The mind boggles....

Maybe it is time for a dose of reality, and having someone clinical and unemotional in his approach to change Everton from this mess we are in at the minute?

I don't want Rafael never have, never will but also can't help thinking that everybody at the club especially the playing side and coaching staff need a few home truths and maybe a cold calculated pair of eyes might just finally do it?

I am sick of hearing that we need somebody who gets Everton? We have DBB, Bill Kenwright, Duncan, Rhino, Ebbrell, Baines, and so on and so on at the club who all supposedly get Everton and we are a mess, Duncan apparently gets Everton more than anyone and yet is not ready to be Manager because he is only passion (depsite being the same age as Pep and older than Tuchel?)

Maybe its time to take emotion out of it and get somebody who knows what he is doing and will finally shake the club to its foundations and force real change, because we need it now more than ever.

Nice place to work for a couple of years running? It appears the only people who aren't having a nice time at Everton are the fans?

We wanted big name managers we got it, we wanted big name players we go it, we wanted big money spent on transfers we got it, we wanted a new ground looks like we are getting it, maybe its time to stop thinking about want the fans want and run the club properly with someone who is going to tell it how it is? If thats Rafael then so be it because nothing else has worked and I don't see any candidate who sticks out? (I have never seen Lille play so know nothing about Gaultier.)
Personally I think if we are to have any chance of changing the club from top to bottom we need to avoid appointing any big name managers.

We've seen from Ancelotti that the big names can very easily to attracted away by bigger clubs so if we were to get in another big name that did a good job at Everton for a couple of years they'd be gone once a better offer comes in. The only manager we've had in recent times that made any changes to the club was Moyes and he wasn't a big name at the time he came in. That's the main reason I'd rather see Potter given a chance over some of the bigger names. I think far too many fans dismiss the likes of Potter purely because he is English and hasn't got that sexy foreign accent to make everything seem better.
Potter could be a huge failure if he came to Everton but so could any other manager we appoint. Ancelotti us probably the biggest name we'll ever have as manager and he wasn't exacty a huge success.

I don't for one minute think Potter is even in the running for the Everton job but I'm mainly using his name as an example of the kind of manager we need to move the club forward. What we need is another David Moyes type era of stability and growth but with more money and better signings. We need to stop thinking we'll get in the top 4 next season and start a 4 or 5 year building project that will see us getting in to Europe on a regular basis not just occasionally every 6 or 7 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.