Duncan Ferguson Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind a young inexperienced manager but only under these circumstances below

e.g. Big Dunc or Rooney
(but NOT Neville who will just be doing this for the Man U job in the future)

could work if
1) amazing, proper first team coach, and assistant manager with a track record
2) restructure of the fitness department
3) published, clear transfers policy
4) new coaching strategy across all teams
5) clearout of rubbish

e.g. a new start with an inexperienced manager, but the structure, culture and strategy - led by Brands - is the key, and the manager is a figurehead.
In those circumstances, I think Rooney / Big Dunc might work, even though I know they have no apparent skills apart from laying cones and loads of PASSION and LOVE for everton...
The same Rooney that was lucky to keep Derby up?
And I don't see his passion for Everton either.

Dunc needs to go prove himself in the championship or probably even better the Scottish Premiership. Your goal can't just be to manage Everton, it has to be a burning desire to be a great manager - anywhere.

If he gets this job and lasts a year, maybe two, that is him done with Everton for at least the next 10/15 years in almost any capacity, as no one wants a former manager hanging around with players he managed. Least if he goes shows he can win stuff, handle good and bad sides with the ups and downs of form then everyone will be a lot more patient with him IF it starts to go pear shape.

I'd be tempted to give Ferguson a go. It would be a gamble but the guy has 30 years experience in professional football, got all of his coaching badges, has about 15 years experience as a coach and has worked closely with various managers over the last 10 years or so. He's full of passion and commitment to the club, has the respect of the players, knows our squad better than anyone and is a naturally charismatic guy.

He did brilliantly when he took over as caretaker boss. If he wants it, then we could do far worse.

The 3 games after Chelsea were awful, what makes people think that it would have improved if we’d kept him longer?
We drew Vs Manu, Leicester and Arsenal. We had Holgate in midfield because no one was fit. We were down to the bare bones. That was a very good return considering how we had been playing before that.

I would give Dunc a season.
He has passion, loyalty and would of learnt a few tricks off Ancelotti
Those on here saying his results and the teams performance were crap whilst he was in charge have limited memory.
Not even the most optimistic of us would have expected him to get much from this awful Silva side but he did.
Duncan was immediately faced with league games against Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal, plus a Carabao Cup clash against Leicester City.

Everton came out of those games with five points, beating Chelsea and drawing with United and the Gunners, while they were only knocked out by high-flying Leicester on penalties.

SatDec7
12.30pmPremHChelseaW3-
1439,114Richarlison Calvert-Lewin D 2Sky S
SunDec15
2.00pmPremAMan UtdD1-
1673,328Lindelöf V (og)Sky S
WedDec18
7.45pmLC QFHLeicesterD2-
39,027Davies T Baines L (pens 2-4)
SatDec21
12.30pmPremHArsenalD0-
1539,336BT S

Dunc needs to go prove himself in the championship or probably even better the Scottish Premiership. Your goal can't just be to manage Everton, it has to be a burning desire to be a great manager - anywhere.

If he gets this job and lasts a year, maybe two, that is him done with Everton for at least the next 10/15 years in almost any capacity, as no one wants a former manager hanging around with players he managed. Least if he goes shows he can win stuff, handle good and bad sides with the ups and downs of form then everyone will be a lot more patient with him IF it starts to go pear shape.
I don't get this argument at all. Not every job is appointed on experience, and if it was, Allardyce would've been welcomed with open arms.

If we went and got a manager from the championship or Scotland now, with no connection to Everton, people would be baffled and most likely going into melt down. But if it was a fancy name for someone who did the equivalent job in Greek or Dutch leagues, some would be excited.

People say that the players have let down experienced managers in the past, so why is having another experienced manager the answer?

Since Moyes, we have tried:

A young up and coming manager in with experience in English football, both in lower divisions and Premier League, who had achieved promotions with teams and even managed to win a trophy against the best side in the country. Negative - he was also relegated.

Next, an other up and coming manager with experience in the Premier league, with a big name and reputation gained in his playing days. Had also managed in several European leagues with high profile clubs, and had won a few trophies.

A manager who had tons of experience in English football, managing across all divisions for 25 years, the majority of it spent managing in the Premier league, and had also managed England. No trophies won, but modest achievements with smaller clubs and achieved promotions several times without ever being relegated (at the time).

Another up and coming manager with experience in several European leagues, winning Leagues and cups, and some short lived experience at a couple of premier league clubs, including 1 mission impossible style relegation that he took over but couldn't avoid.

1 of the most decorated and experienced managers in football, period. Someone who had managed across all of the top divisions in Europe, including England, and had won leagues and European trophies wherever he went.

We have tried so many combinations, those with 20 years or greater experience, those who were just starting out, those whose experience spanned across European football at the highest levels and those who had worked exclusively in England. Managers who had won trophies, managers who hadnt but had built reputations based on achievements more closely aligned with the clubs they had managed.

So what is the perfect amount of experience that our new manager needs, and in what leagues/divisions?

For me, it seems there are no right answers, only wrong ones.

Most managers start out at a club that means something to them, a former team or a team they have a connection with, maybe they were assistant manager 1st. And nobody has experience until they do. It just so happens that Duncans connections, both as a player and an assistant, and even as a caretaker manager, is all at Everton. I genuinely don't understand what him going and managing Falkirk or Birmingham would do to making him more of an acceptable choice.

All of Evertons successful managers have had a club connection. Maybe it's time we went back to that model.

Go out and earn your credentials like other former players have, To expect your name to be in the mix is absolute cheeky considering he's been under about 3-4 managers that have been sacked.

D F is riskier because of lack of previous experience in the top role.

So the question can be summed up as, is this the right time to take a risk or not?

For me, no.

I don't get this argument at all. Not every job is appointed on experience, and if it was, Allardyce would've been welcomed with open arms.

If we went and got a manager from the championship or Scotland now, with no connection to Everton, people would be baffled and most likely going into melt down. But if it was a fancy name for someone who did the equivalent job in Greek or Dutch leagues, some would be excited.

People say that the players have let down experienced managers in the past, so why is having another experienced manager the answer?

Since Moyes, we have tried:

A young up and coming manager in with experience in English football, both in lower divisions and Premier League, who had achieved promotions with teams and even managed to win a trophy against the best side in the country. Negative - he was also relegated.

Next, an other up and coming manager with experience in the Premier league, with a big name and reputation gained in his playing days. Had also managed in several European leagues with high profile clubs, and had won a few trophies.

A manager who had tons of experience in English football, managing across all divisions for 25 years, the majority of it spent managing in the Premier league, and had also managed England. No trophies won, but modest achievements with smaller clubs and achieved promotions several times without ever being relegated (at the time).

Another up and coming manager with experience in several European leagues, winning Leagues and cups, and some short lived experience at a couple of premier league clubs, including 1 mission impossible style relegation that he took over but couldn't avoid.

1 of the most decorated and experienced managers in football, period. Someone who had managed across all of the top divisions in Europe, including England, and had won leagues and European trophies wherever he went.

We have tried so many combinations, those with 20 years or greater experience, those who were just starting out, those whose experience spanned across European football at the highest levels and those who had worked exclusively in England. Managers who had won trophies, managers who hadnt but had built reputations based on achievements more closely aligned with the clubs they had managed.

So what is the perfect amount of experience that our new manager needs, and in what leagues/divisions?

For me, it seems there are no right answers, only wrong ones.

Most managers start out at a club that means something to them, a former team or a team they have a connection with, maybe they were assistant manager 1st. And nobody has experience until they do. It just so happens that Duncans connections, both as a player and an assistant, and even as a caretaker manager, is all at Everton. I genuinely don't understand what him going and managing Falkirk or Birmingham would do to making him more of an acceptable choice.

All of Evertons successful managers have had a club connection. Maybe it's time we went back to that model.

You're effectively asking someone who has never managed a club for more than 5 games to use Everton as an experiment to see if they can hack it. There are loads of clubs to which to start from that have far less pressure involved. Prove you can last a couple of seasons showing an upward trajectory instead of coming to one of the biggest jobs in the country totally green.

See how much pressure is on Arteta despite winning a cup in his first 6 months. It would be 10 x that here as there will be no dream start.

Are their people who would want Ferguson over Nuno?
I would, yes.

I see no upside in Nuno to be honest. It seems like the safe, easy option. Wolves were/are nothing special, and also spent a lot of money to get there.

Honestly,he ranks amongst Eddie Howe and Graham Potter as the most beige and least inspiring options on offer, and would do nothing to lift fans after what just happened.

Ferguson at the very least, is already well liked and respected by players and fans alike, and he knows what he is working with. He knows every player at the club, including the younger players, and knows what is missing as well. I think he's strong enough to make the tough decisions and he can start now instead of taking 2-3 months to assess and a year to settle in. Also, you would assume if he is picked that he has a good relationship with Brands, which will be important going forward, and could be an interesting partnership.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.