Everton Youth Teams Thread

Really excited about the current crop of youngsters coming through ,I wonder if we are seeing the influence of brands finally coming through regarding the ages of the players at u18s and u23s
Indeed Brands influence is there, plus a number of factors. Two years ago we reduced the number of Scholars getting pro contracts, so fewer players going on to block the u 23s . Then at u18s last season we played our talented Schoolboys right from the start of the season, Welch , Price, Whitaker , Butterfield, featuring , Small was a bit later . So credit to Tait there .That season Unsworth also started to include u18s like Onyango / Dobbin early on in his U23s teams. This season it’s exploded at U23s and u18s with Tait, Unsworth and Brands all seemingly coordinating together. There were probably more u18 mins played in last night’s U23s match than in the whole of the Gordon/Simms time when they were u18 2 years ago. The confidence in playing two Schoolboys in two matches at U23s ( Metcalfe and Quintyne) is pretty rare for any teams and irrespective of their talents the fact that we are preparing them for playing two levels up is very positive, particularly as both are still maturing physically . So yeah , it is exciting ..... but a long way to go , and we’ve been here before with Martinez’s “ Golden Generation” so let’s just enjoy the ride!

Random thought but whatever happened to that skinhead striker for Sunderland youth that used to absolutely destroy us a few years ago?

7CA91BD4-904B-4644-8677-6FC9F5847644.png

....retired now.

6th placed Everton u18s will go 5th with a win and that is were they will end the season with one more game left,when they play bottom placed Sunderland u18s at home with a 12.30 ko

Everton u18s Team

Leban, Mallon, Kristensen, Campbell, Thompson, McAllister, Metcalfe, Quintyne, Baker, Jagne, Lawrence,
Subs Stewart, Hagan, Safa Manafa, Higgins, Ebere
I think Thompson is an under 16 too.

An entertaining affair saw Everton edged out in a seven-goal tussle against Sunderland at USM Finch Farm on Saturday afternoon.

Sean McAllister struck twice for the young Blues while Jenson Metcalfe's goal gave the hosts hope with 15 minutes to go but Paul Tait's side just fell short in this Under-18s Premier League (North) encounter.

Sunderland, who were bright throughout the opening exchanges, had their first chance just four minutes in.

A fast break saw Ethan Kachosa in on goal, but a fantastic fingertip save by Zan-Luk Leban denied the lively winger.

The visitors continued to press energetically throughout and reaped their rewards when winning a penalty on 17 minutes.

Neat play saw Kachosa cut inside sharply in the penalty area before being tripped, Caden Kelly sending Leban the wrong way from the spot-kick.

Minutes later and Sunderland nearly doubled their lead. It was winger Kachosa who was involved again as his shot was cleared off the line after fantastic last-ditch defending by Dylan Thompson.

The away team continued to threaten after the break and it did not take them long to add a second, forward Shane Temple drifting in from the left wing and curling a finish into the far corner.

And it looked game over just before the hour mark when the lively Francis Okoronkwo went for the direct approach in running at his man on his left before cutting inside and finishing past Leban.

That seemed to kick Everton into life, however, and it was 3-1 two minutes later. Neat interplay in the middle of the pitch allowed McAllister to drive forward into space, allowing him to unleash a powerful shot which was deflected and left the keeper no chance.

The lifeline looked to be extinguished when Sunderland found the back of the net again on 69 minutes, Okoronkwo's fine through ball allowing Kachosa to finish.

But a frantic second half continued as a lovely weighted ball into the path of Metcalfe allowed the midfielder to drive the ball home from outside the area.

And the deficit was cut to just one when, on 77 minutes, McAllister made it 4-3 with his second goal, the Northern Irish midfielder unleashing a delightful left-footed effort past keeper Adam Richardson.

It wasn't enough as Everton narrowly failed to complete the comeback - but Tait's side will bid to end their campaign on a high when they visit Newcastle United next Saturday (1pm BST).

Fear some of these kids are happy with the cushy FF lifestyle.

Interesting article on bbc sport today about Dean Henderson that mentions this, and how he wasn't happy to sit in the nice comfortable surroundings but wanted to get out on loan and play proper football. Could do with more of that from some of our lads I think.

Interesting article on bbc sport today about Dean Henderson that mentions this, and how he wasn't happy to sit in the nice comfortable surroundings but wanted to get out on loan and play proper football. Could do with more of that from some of our lads I think.

I mean you can't blame them. 18-year olds on a decent wage, social media generation, chasing skirt. Might be the best some of them ever get. I do think it's wrong though when they tell people they play for X.

No, you don't play for X, you're in their academy the same as thousands of lads in academies over the country.

It was a perfectly fair comment to have made, and I know I ahve covered this before but I think people probably underrate the aforementioned age group. Davies has made it to the 1st team, Ledson has just been given POTY for Preston, Dowell will be in the premiership next season, Robinson has showed hismelf an accomplished PL level left back and Kenny has played a number of games in the PL/Bundesliga. That's before you mentioend Joe WIlliams, Callum Connolly and Liam Walsh who have all had a good go in the championship. Unfortunately for that age group, they turned 18 at just the time when Moshiri arrived, the manager was sacked, the DOF was brought in and sacked and turbelence occured. You probably had another 3 or 4, who if things had gone diddrently may have made the 1st team with an Everton without Moshiri's millions.

This current age group are doing things that age group didn't either. To go to City and Chelsea and win, is as big a statement as you can make at that level. We lost to West Brom in a tight match missing key players. The exposure they are getting in the reserves is also slightly beyond what Ledson's age had, and in truth they are probably excelling a bit more.

Welch is one who has really kicked on for me, and you probably see the benefit of not only under 23's action but also 1st team training. In that under 18's match at Wigan he looked Van Dijk esque in his age group. Quick, powerful, calm, composed etc. We've spoken a bit about Small, Price and Onyango before so won't dwell on those.

The other one I didn't mention who probably deserves a bit of a mention is Whittaker. He is flying through the age groups very quickly, which I always think is a very positive sign. He had a couple of games to find his feet at under 23 level, and then he is excelling. That is what you want to see.

He reminds me a little bit of Anthony Gordon, maybe a bit more rugged though not quite as quick. I had pinpointed in that City game, where he outjumped a CB for our goal, he has an excellent spring. You saw it again for his 2nd goal yesterday off a corner. He attacks the ball really well. He's another I like.

In terms of the stand out player, the name everyone talks about is Lawrence in the under 15's. The size and power of Ebere in the 15's is impressive, but Lawrence is that player that gets spoken about.
So far almost every time is see them
Welch > Onyango

We have had a lot of defenders hyped and got nowhere... I’m like a few here and don’t see anyone of those lads you’ve called out quality .. I don’t think it’s too early to say Gibson isn’t going to make it... which gives me pause for Welch..

The league might be a lot tougher than it was 5 years ago.. maybe...
So waffle waffle point being Welch for me must be pushing himself up the ladder.