New Everton Stadium Discussion

Newcastle’s ground is officially called St James Park. It was only called the Sports Direct Arena for a year or so - during which time nobody used that name.

The whole thing is a bit weird.

It was called the Sports Direct Arena ostensibly as a way to advertise the naming rights to a company willing to pay for them. Of course, Mike Ashley won’t turn down a bit of free temporary publicity for his brand, either.

The fans hated it (obviously), but when Wonga became shirt sponsors, they also received the stadium naming rights as part of the package.

Wonga were the ones who decided to forgo this and revert the stadium name back to St James Park - and it’s been that way ever since.

Renaming old grounds is a bad idea. I think you can only get away with it properly when you’re moving to a new ground.
Shame really, hearing it being called the Wonga stadium would have been hilarious.

Apologies, that's what I meant.

When we move, Sky and MOTD, will both both spend 20 minutes talking about how Pickford machetted VDV to death on the Goodison pitch.
I hope we leave a memorial at Goodison for St Virgil. Like a bronze statue of his leg at the spot where he was slain, so many generations of blues to come can make the pilgrimage there. Despite the joy of this move we should always remember the darkest day in our history.

We can all wish that the stadium does not received a sponsored moniker, but in reality we all also understand that the funding of this stadium means its unlikely.

Unofficially, we might (probably will) still call it Bramley Moore yet there'll likely be an official name. A good compromise would be 'The USM Bramley Moore'.

USM could quite easily be slipped away over time.

If USM fund the whole thing through sponsorship I'll call it whatever they want me to.

Very few people actually know that USM is not made up from their initials, or Alisher's name. It actually stands for Utopia beSide the Mersey, it's just a total accident that they'll have a physical reference to their moniker. lol

I hope we leave a memorial at Goodison for St Virgil. Like a bronze statue of his leg at the spot where he was slain, so many generations of blues to come can make the pilgrimage there. Despite the joy of this move we should always remember the darkest day in our history.

With the words, " He died with his boots on " above it.

Pretty sure someone put on here that there was a new funding stream that had been put in place a month and a half or so ago.

I've not heard anything in relation to it but it might be true. Last I'd heard (about 3/4 months back) there was no funding after asking around for a while. There were some options of naming rights etc that had been on the table but it wasn't enough to pay for the whole thing.
You heard any more updates on the funding mate?

Cheers

The funding bedwetting is rather amusing. I can get a £200k plus mortgage when I don't earn much and have no other equity apart from the thing I want the mortgage for, Moshi on his own is worth billions (at a conservative estimate) with a huge business portfolio who wants to borrow a few measly millions for a profitable long term business concern. I wonder which is the safer bet?

There is a stadium in Melbourne, originally called Docklands. Due to sponsors changing it has been called Colonial stadium, Telstra dome and is currently called Marvel stadium. Yes - Marvel stadium, after the kids movies.

I still call it docklands
Nice stadium. I was there for the speedway Grand Prix a few years ago.