Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not saying every player has to be 6ft plus. But a good player who’s fast & powerful is going to be more effective than a slower player, who maybe better technically. In this league, IMO.
maybe different in Spain.

Take Mane, now I think he’s slightly overrated from a technical point of view, I’ve seen him play some really poor passes over the years in good positions, give away possession cheaply. Make wrong decisions. But he’s strong as anything an absolute handful, fast and can score. The total opposite of Bernard.
And mane is 5ft 9 ish?

Take the other night siggurdsson, Gomes and James. 3 of probably the slowest players in the league playing in the same game. Laughable.

Amd city can afford to have not just one but 4/5 50mil players sitting on the bench. We can’t do that. What ever happens this summer, just go and buy pace power aggression and hopefully goals. Wether it’s 2, 3 or 4 players.
Mane is an immensely skilled player, imo.

The candidates for player of the season currently are probably Gundogan and Fernandes. Neither is exceptional physically. They might not be as slow as Gylfi but we will miss good footballers focusing on speed and strength.

That isn't to say we don't need those things but I just wouldn't go "nah Buendia isn't big enough" and not look any deeper.

Mane is an immensely skilled player, imo.

The candidates for player of the season currently are probably Gundogan and Fernandes. Neither is exceptional physically. They might not be as slow as Gylfi but we will miss good footballers focusing on speed and strength.

That isn't to say we don't need those things but I just wouldn't go "nah Buendia isn't big enough" and not look any deeper.
Again you’re taking about 2 exceptional players .and Gundogan plays for city. And Fernandes cost a fortune. It’s like us buying grealish this summer. Would I say no. Of course I wouldn’t he’s a game changer.

I just think Buendia wouid be a very expensive gamble.

Look a Brands. I’m sure he knew everything about the premier league. And maybe Bernard on a free was a good opportunity. And Gomes for 22mil after his loan also seemed a good idea. Maybe Brands thought these 2 technical players, Will give us something different. Unfortunately it’s been a big waste of money.

But looking at his latest buys, maybe he’s changing. James Rodriguez obviously falls into a similar category, but is levels above the other two and was on a free. And also he’s raised the club’s profile.

But Allan, great player, aggressive and very experienced. Doucoure, again aggressive, looks fast when he gets into his stride and has a goal in him. Though he can also play the odd crazy pass. And then Godfrey, still raw but very fast and aggressive.

Even the young players we bought, branthwaite and Nkounku fall into the same category. I can see a similar situation this summer.

Again you’re taking about 2 exceptional players .and Gundogan plays for city. And Fernandes cost a fortune. It’s like us buying grealish this summer. Would I say no. Of course I wouldn’t he’s a game changer.

I just think Buendia wouid be a very expensive gamble.

Look a Brands. I’m sure he knew everything about the premier league. And maybe Bernard on a free was a good opportunity. And Gomes for 22mil after his loan also seemed a good idea. Maybe Brands thought these 2 technical players, Will give us something different. Unfortunately it’s been a big waste of money.

But looking at his latest buys, maybe he’s changing. James Rodriguez obviously falls into a similar category, but is levels above the other two and was on a free. And also he’s raised the club’s profile.

But Allan, great player, aggressive and very experienced. Doucoure, again aggressive, looks fast when he gets into his stride and has a goal in him. Though he can also play the odd crazy pass. And then Godfrey, still raw but very fast and aggressive.

Even the young players we bought, branthwaite and Nkounku fall into the same category. I can see a similar situation this summer.
The aggression is getting us nowhere. We're 7th and that's imo a flattering position. We don't play well with the ball or at least haven't in quite awhile. I mean I get being an athletic side can take you places, United with the exception of Fernandes are clearly that, but it only works for them because of how much he is able to produce on his own. Take that out and they're much more average.

I'm a lot less sold on our business last summer than most. I love James and Allan but I said back in September that signing players of that age means you have to compete right away and we haven't managed it. So as good as they are as players I don't know that they end up being the greatest business in the world. Especially when you factor in availability.

And then Godfrey for me hasn't proven much yet and Doucoure is a below average midfielder who manages to save himself by occasionally being in the right place at the right time. I don't think it's good enough at all that when Fulham and Newcastle have put us under pressure he's been nowhere to be found.

So I guess what I'm saying is I don't really think Brands stumbled into a secret recipe last summer.

The aggression is getting us nowhere. We're 7th and that's imo a flattering position. We don't play well with the ball or at least haven't in quite awhile. I mean I get being an athletic side can take you places, United with the exception of Fernandes are clearly that, but it only works for them because of how much he is able to produce on his own. Take that out and they're much more average.

I'm a lot less sold on our business last summer than most. I love James and Allan but I said back in September that signing players of that age means you have to compete right away and we haven't managed it. So as good as they are as players I don't know that they end up being the greatest business in the world. Especially when you factor in availability.

And then Godfrey for me hasn't proven much yet and Doucoure is a below average midfielder who manages to save himself by occasionally being in the right place at the right time. I don't think it's good enough at all that when Fulham and Newcastle have put us under pressure he's been nowhere to be found.

So I guess what I'm saying is I don't really think Brands stumbled into a secret recipe last summer.
There's so much wrong with this post...

James is clearly better than everyone in our team and for 2 years its great business. Allan is our best midfielder and if he stays injury free will be for a while. Godfrey has great potential and has shown that in many games this year playing in whatever position is asked of him and Doucoure is most definitely not below average.

James is clearly better than everyone in our team and for 2 years its great business. Allan is our best midfielder and if he stays injury free will be for a while. Godfrey has great potential and has shown that in many games this year playing in whatever position is asked of him and Doucoure is most definitely not below average.
I'm not saying James and Allan aren't great players, they are, I'm saying that bringing them into a team that is multiple years of development away from competing when they're at an age where they may not have multiple years to be great still isn't the best idea. Allan's injuries are an illustration of that. Do you think as he gets past 30 his leg muscles will be more durable?

Godfrey has great potential but we concede more with him at CB than when he isn't. And I don't think he's a long term fullback either. So to me he's potential and nothing more for now. If we want to make our transfer policy about bringing in potential and developing it I'm here for it but that takes a commitment because players will not work out.

I don't think Doucoure is very good. Sorry.

I'm not saying James and Allan aren't great players, they are, I'm saying that bringing them into a team that is multiple years of development away from competing when they're at an age where they may not have multiple years to be great still isn't the best idea. Allan's injuries are an illustration of that. Do you think as he gets past 30 his leg muscles will be more durable?

Godfrey has great potential but we concede more with him at CB than when he isn't. And I don't think he's a long term fullback either. So to me he's potential and nothing more for now. If we want to make our transfer policy about bringing in potential and developing it I'm here for it but that takes a commitment because players will not work out.

I don't think Doucoure is very good. Sorry.
Allan and James came in to have an instant impact which we desperately needed, for 2/3 years they are good deals. Godfrey needs to be paired with Mina for me if he is playing centre half, they are suited better than any other pairing for him, having him next to Holgate is suicide. Doucoure is the energy we need but he can't do the running for everyone every game, he was poor against Fulham but had to do the running for 3 other people and it showed

Allan and James came in to have an instant impact which we desperately needed, for 2/3 years they are good deals. Godfrey needs to be paired with Mina for me if he is playing centre half, they are suited better than any other pairing for him, having him next to Holgate is suicide. Doucoure is the energy we need but he can't do the running for everyone every game, he was poor against Fulham but had to do the running for 3 other people and it showed
My issue is Doucoure is that he runs a lot and that's about it

???????????????
He pops up with goals and makes last ditch tackles.
At least give a player credit for what they do right rather than gloss over it like "he happens to be in the right area sometimes" like he stumbled into it.
He's popped up with 2 goals which while helpful isn't enough across 1800 minutes to be an attribute to hang your hat on.

For me he doesn't move the ball upfield, he doesn't win the ball back enough and his positioning defensively is often not good and exposes the backline. That's a lot of the job of a midfielder that he doesn't do well.

And the United goal he literally stumbled into lol

Allan and James are very good players. If they contribute to us finishing in the European places or winning the cup this year then they're very good signings. If they don't, then there's a decent argument that they weren't the right profile to target I think. I do think our strategy has been a little bit muddled in recent years, as though we can't quite decide whether to push on in the short term or take a longer term view. This summer we very much leaned towards the short term, and our league position means there's a decent chance that will turn out to be a gamble that pays off. There's also a reasonable chance that it won't though, and if that's the case then I'd have to agree with @TheBigIguana.

Status
Not open for further replies.