Match Thread Everton v Tottenham Hotspur.- FA Cup 5th Rd.- Wednesday - 8.15pm

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't they scrap that rule for Manchester Utd for that season only after Munich ?
Yes that rule was ignored because of the Munich disaster, allowing Stan Crowther to play, Ernie Taylor, signed from Blackpool, played because he hadn’t played for Blackpool in the FA cup that season, so he wasn’t cup tied.

I'm not sure if James is fit, so assuming he is out as well as Pickford and Allan, I would go for this team

Olsen
Holgate Mina Keane Godfrey
Davies
Gomes Doucoure
Richarlison DCL Digne

We can't leave ourselves exposed by playing advanced full backs because that's exactly what Jose will want. Play him at his own game.

I'm off Wednesday and off to Killkeny (you basterd) for the week. We always win when I'm in the country. Notably when I bet a score on 2-0 v Newcastle and Anichebe to score. Think Liverpool lost that night and was giving some Culchies stick. More the same Blues.

I'd accept a cup progression and a slip at Fulham or a cup exit and 3 points at Fulham. Nothing less.
I’m having a tenner on a draw with Fulham!!

You were on the right tracks, then it’s almost as though you got “selection Tourette’s”
?
Coleman's good at playing out from back through midfield. He's good at triangle play and beating players 1 on1 on the inside as much as outside; short to medium passing is good, and as long as the option is on, he'll use attacking intent. It'll be up to davies and gomes to look for ball inside. Can use Godfrey's pace on the outside.
And he can fit into the flat four easily with Digne going forward.
And with Godfrey, take Son out of the play.
He the type of player that can do a lot of things as long as the structure is good around him.
Davies positional awareness and keeping his head has improved a lot this season. You'd think they'd combine well.

Think Gomes is better cutting out passing lanes and pressing passes that get through, than the play coming to him.
Let him run him arse off and then bring on James in that role as the games opens up. James has had the crap kicked/stomped out of him every time he starts. He needs a break from that. If not James then Bernard.
I'd leave Sig for covering injuries, changing tactics.

Formation allows for width, coming from deep, Digne or Coleman/Godfrey while still maintaing the exisitng defence structure
with Digne or Coleman dropping as the fourth CB.
Coleman and Godfrey may form a good combo and it would be interesting to see how much trouble Godfrey could cause with the licence to stay higher up every now and then (dream goal - Digne crossing for Godfrey leaping majestically at far post from a quick attack)
Davies and Doucs or Davies and Coleman are as a good a screen as any in the squad; with Gomes or Richo pressing from behind.
Both Coleman or Doucs can move inside, off the ball, when attacking.
Even though his crossing is not up to scratch and his pace is on the wane still think Seamus has a lot to offer this season
and he can mentally handle the responsibility of that role, not all can.
He was pivotal with James earlier on. Maybe he can become pivotal again.
Worth a try anyway.

Last edited:
Press conference imminent. Imagining no Allan or Pickford available but let's see. Would like somebody to ask a question about how concerned he is with Richarlison this season.

Pickford and James 50/50 for tomorrow. Allan hopefully "back for next game", so expect to see him in April. No mention of Gbamin.

SOME OF THE ANCELOTTI PRE MATCH FA CUP SPURS P/C

Mike Dean situation really sad​

I think it’s really sad and unacceptable. I think Mike Dean is one of the best referees in PL. I’m really sorry what has happened to him, police have to investigate this because it is unacceptable

Ancelotti on unacceptable comments​

Yes, I think it has to be positive. You have to use social media to have a direct talk to your supporters and it has to be positive. Sometimes you can have critics but the insults are not tolerable. It’s not tolerable full stop

Late fitness checks for James and Pickford​

I have to wait for training in the afternoon to check whether James and Jordan are available or not. They are going to train and we’ll see. Allan has started with the team, he’s not ready yet. I hope he’ll be ready next game

Ancelotti on last game​

Against United we showed what we were able to show in the last game. Strong attitude and spirit and one more point in the table.

Crucial moment in the season​

“It’s a crucial moment for everyone. An important period in the season with important games. We are focused on tomorrow, it will be really difficult against Tottenham, a fantastic team.

Ancelotti hails Spurs qualities​

We are prepared for a good game. It's one of the top teams in the league and we know how difficult it will be.

Everton's trophy drought​

We are working for this. I know how Evertonians are desperate to win trophies, we are working on this. I don't know if it's the right time this season, what I can assure is we are doing everything to try and have a trophy as soon as possible.

Mourinho style is close to Ancelotti's​

I think we are really close in our idea of football. It's an honour for me to be compared to Jose. We didn't talk too much about this but how I see his team play can be comparable for us. That's it. To be compared to his style is a honour.

Cup or Europe?​

For the stability of the club, the more important finish is to finish in Europe. Of course for the happiness, it is the cup, but for the stability of the club, the more important thing is to finish in a European competition

On the defensive​

I think he is focused defensively and offensively like I am. Mourinho’s teams are always balanced. Which means they are doing a good job offensively and defensively. If they say to me, your team is playing old style football, I am pleased.

Carlo on Olsen​

As I said; I think he’s a good signing. He’s an experienced goalkeeper, we are happy with his performances. He made a mistake when he slipped but it doesn’t matter, he played well against Leeds. We have trust because he is a good goalkeeper

Carlo on Player's Desire​

The player knows the difficulty and beauty of this competition. The players have a great desire to be competitive in the Premier League. To fight at the top and try and win cups. They are really young and have the desire to have a fantastic career.”

Carlo on Gomes​

We are really pleased with that last two performances. He played really well, with confidence and experience. We hope he can continue

Carlo on James​

I think he had a little problem on his calf. Tight calf. I take him off after 70 minutes to avoid risk. He is going to train today, if he’s ready to play tomorrow he will play, if not he will play on Sunday.

He said he felt his calf tight. He said to be at the end of the first half his calf was tight but he wanted to continue. I said to him look after it and let me know. He let me know, so I took him off.

Carlo on Lewin​

I think he is back. He had a little problem with his condition, physicality, he is better. He scored two goals, could score more. He can continue

Home comforts​

I think it’s quite clear that without supporters in the stadium. The home team doesn’t have the advantage. It’s quite simple, all teams have had more difficulties at home than away, this is the only reason. There is no other reason. We have to improve at home not away, tomorrow we have a game at home.

Some of the Jose P/C​

On team news​

Serge Aurier left the game as you know. Little problem. Can he play tomorrow? I don't think so.
Lo Celso, no chance. Dele Alli trained well with the team yesterday."
We need to go player by player to have their feelings and discuss with them. Of course we want to go with a strong team, but at the same time, we don't want to create problems for the players."

Mourinho on whether Harry Kane was ok after his return​

No problems, at least no big problems. We have to go player by player to see their feelings and discuss the best options. We want to go with a strong team.

On whether Kane and Vincius could play together​

Yes I think they can. It's not a situation that's happening for different reasons but I think they can. They're completely different players.

On this moment​

We have to play against everybody. At the end of the season, everyone plays the same matches against every opponent.
Europa League is a competition where we have already played an incredible amount of matches. We will give everything for the next round to try and progress. Let's go tomorrow.

On Everton​

Carlo is Carlo. He doesn't go to a club to have fun. He goes to try and be Carlo.
A winner, one of the best managers in the World. Of course, by arriving, he brings that ambition.
Carlo, with time, will win. I'm not saying Everton can jump over the top clubs with incredible history.
But nobody better than Carlo to bring a trophy to Everton.

On Dele Alli​

Nothing changed. He's not injured. He can train with the team. He went through a process of training with the sports science people and he jumped to train with the team yesterday.
What changed is the speculation. People know he's a Tottenham player and hopefully the end of the speculation will end the questions about him.

In normal situation he wouldn't be considered for tomorrow but with the injuries we have we have to accelrate his process. But I want him to be fully onboard and we have to take on board his feelings. To have him for 10-15 minutes would be a big help.
Started with something in his tendon and after that always bad feelings, muscular bad feelings around the tendon area and was not feeling comfortable. The process with the sports science people was having some days rest, then training with the sports science, then we had the information that he could train on Monday and today second session with the team.

On playing in empty stadiums​

FA Cup is a special competition.
In the Premier League, I have to admit, one thing is to play with full stadium and one thing is to play with an empty stadium.
The reality is, an empty stadium is a completely different situation.
Mourinho also says that if the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium was full against Chelsea, it would have made a difference.

Time on the pitch for Bale and Hart​

I have to wait for the training session. I want the players to help me in my decisions.
i think it is a situation where players will help us to make the decisions for them.

...re Holgate v Coleman debate, I’m not convinced Holgate is a far better defender than Coleman. I don’t think he’s faster than Coleman and I’m nervous when he gets the wrong side of a forward, he’ll bring the opponent down for a free kick or penalty.

Where Holgate has the advantage is that he rarely crosses the half-way line, which means there’s no void in the right side. That’s a particular advantage when Rodriguez plays. Whoever plays RM might determine who plays RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.